Celebrity "medium" marriage fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Oh, I know. A lot of the accusations really smell fishy. Some of these cases, the evidence is so overwhelming, it's easy to see that something clearly went on there.

Other cases, the accused have simply copped to the situation.

I will agree that our society is on dangerous ground at this point. A small spark, regardless of accuracy, can start an inferno that will consume whomever happens to be standing in the way.

My only point was, who knows what goes on in people's relationships. This woman and her husband seem to describe their separation as amicable and mutual. True? Who knows. But I'd hardly come to the conclusion that she's turned into a cutthroat guarding her largesse.

Sometimes people do just call out of love, even after ma y years.

Good post...I agree with you. Nobody truly does know. While I have great disdain for what this "medium" does in regard to emotionally (and no doubt financially) robbing people....they may have just grown apart in some way. I am of the opinion, because of her practice, that she probably wants to leave him because her opportunities have greatly changed. But as we both said...who knows!?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Oh, I know. A lot of the accusations really smell fishy. Some of these cases, the evidence is so overwhelming, it's easy to see that something clearly went on there.

We have the beginnings of a moral panic, I think. Certainly, some bad things have happened, and undoubtedly some very piggish behaviour. There are concerns, though, as you indicate.

If I'm the victim of a crime, I'm going to report it to the police. I'm not going to report it to Twitter or my lawyer.

It's a really dodgy situation. Psychologically, we know that victims of this brand of abuse stay quiet more often than they speak out.

But it is still human nature to ask: Why not say something?

Yes, it's certainly difficult. I do understand that many victims never tell a soul. However, if you've been a victim of a crime, the first place to report it is the police. If you're afraid of that, some confide in counsellors. If you're reporting it to your lawyer, it tells me you want money. If you report it to the world on Twitter, I'm not sure what to think, aside from the fact that such behaviour is extremely risky from a libel standpoint.

Charlie Sheen has already pushed back. After all, he's got nothing to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back