CBS disallows internet radio streaming to clients

Status
Not open for further replies.
get this, as of 8/15/2011, you can no longer just 'tune in' a CBS internet radio station. ALL of CBS' internet feeds are restricted to either streaming from the station's web site or using the Yahoo radio app.

CBS doesn't get it. These guys are clueless.

example: CBS-owned WXRT (93.1FM in Chicago) is one of it's top 5 feeds for CBS. Mobile phones play a large part in this metric. People aren't going to download the useless Yahoo music app to get one or two stations. This app is rubbish (I tried). And that Yahoo app caps sound quality to 64kbit MP3. Fine for talk, not fine for music.

So, if you have any popular radio streaming app on your mobile device, such as TuneIn Radio Pro, Pocket Tunes, etc, you're out of luck.

http://logitech.lithium.com/t5/Squeezebo...-do/td-p/667208

Once again, the consumer loses.

For those who like the Saturday Morning Flashback program on WXRT, WRLT here in Nashville has an WXRT-clone station and does the same thing at the same time. It's something, they haven't lost touch with their listeners.....

Last edited:
Lots of bad radio decisions recently. KTLK, with a big listnership here in the Twin Cities, went to AM with a weak signal and gave the sports talk the big flamethrower. People are furious!

who makes these radio decisions to rearrange the deck chairs, so to speak, w/o any rhyme or reason? Seems to be all over radio.

There is this mistaken assumption that the customers of the radio or TV channels are the listeners. That's false for the classic broadcast model. The listeners are a tool to be used for getting the real customers. And the real customers are the advertisers.

I am not intricately familiar with the revenue streams at CBS but my guess is that it is not very useful for an advertisers to have their message streamed on the internet. Usually advertising campaigns are localized and designed for small geographic areas.

TNS listening to an advertisement for a car dealer in Chicago is not a good value.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

TNS listening to an advertisement for a car dealer in Chicago is not a good value.

Good point. I noticed many streams will have alternate advertising that is national in nature rather than the local-market ads.

But the LUNA carpet commercial phone number is catchy! 773-202.....
smile.gif

The big guns get into these tussles somewhat frequently. It's the same as a large TV station group demanding more money per household from a cable company and getting dropped.

There's always over-the-air reception. Some poorly paid engineers leave that option open. It's like old-school wi-fi.
lol.gif

I really hope this is not the way things are going! I love using Beautiful Clock Radio and would hate to see stations disappear from it! Is there anyone we can complain to??

Internet radio truly is a revolutionary use of the internet, listening to almost any station in the world I wonder how I could have lived without it. i love listing to the BBC. I really would hate to have it limited. iHart radio the Premiere Radio Networks app seems to be having all of its stations removed from other players. luckily Beautiful Clock Radio can still play these stations but tunein has removed all the Premier stations I am sure because they have there own app, i am sure the former app will have the station removed as well!

Last edited:
Last year, I was told CBS forced all of its radio stations to deploy a uniform, consistent website across the country. They wrecked 1080am KRLD. Removed the podcasts I liked to time-shift. "You can get them through i-Tunes now".

I don't do iTunes!

They completely wiped off all the show archives too plus the 'customer forum'. Their new site is so......all the former creativity & originality & local-ness is gone.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
all the former creativity & originality & local-ness is gone.

Yes, that's the difficult part. They're selling a product that people want, then they change it to "standardize".

It just shows that those making the decisions are not allowing the individuality of stations to exist. To CBS' own peril. Can't these people think outside the corporate standards box?

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Last year, I was told CBS forced all of its radio stations to deploy a uniform, consistent website across the country. They wrecked 1080am KRLD. Removed the podcasts I liked to time-shift. "You can get them through i-Tunes now".

I don't do iTunes!

They completely wiped off all the show archives too plus the 'customer forum'. Their new site is so......all the former creativity & originality & local-ness is gone.

It's not just radio... Major League Baseball seized their teams' websites and standardized them as well.

Why should I care if the Red Sox webpage works the same as the Texas Rangers? I'm a fan of one or the other!

The astounding thing is that huge sums of money these executive hatchet jobs running the companies make in the process of actually destroying the business!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back