Castrol GTX 10w30 Highmilage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol GTX Highmilage Lab Report

Ok,

So I used Castrol GTX highmilage in my 1998 Prelude with approimately 120,000 miles on the engine.

I was attempting to see how much of a difference it would make on my oil comsumption.

At some points the comsumtion has been as high at 1 qt every 1000 miles, and as low as 1 qt every 2500 miles. (I VTEC alot...)

Anyway the GTX Highmilage results were good overall with respect to burning, but only OK with the lab results.

I did not change my oil filter when I put the GTX in the engine. The prior oil was Mobil 1 0w40, and the filter was a Fram x2 oil filter.

Lab Results from Blackstone:

Honda 2.2L 4-cly

Oil use interval: 3100 miles

Oil Type & Grade: Castrol GTX Highmilage 10w30 (gas)

Makup oil: 2 qts (it was closer to 1 3/4qts)

Fuel type: Gas, Unleaded

Comments:

Aluminum continues to read fairly high in the engine oil, though the silicon fropped nicely. [winter roads with K&N filter] we are not sure why the aluminum continues to read high. All other metals are well within the normal range for this engine and we are finding no hardmful contaminates from the furl or coolant system. The TBN was okay at 3.3, so the oil itself still has some life left. 1.0 or less is a problem. Insolubles were okay at 0.5%, we think 7000 miles on the filter is okay, and you could probably go 8000. Try running the oil 5000-6000 miles. We'll keep an eye on wear.

Miles on Unit: 115,204
Sample Date: 05/06/04

Aluminum: 8 ppm
Chromium: 1 ppm
Iron: 10 ppm
Copper: 2 ppm
Lead: 5 ppm
Tin: 0 ppm
Molybdenum: 46 ppm
Nickel: 0 ppm
Manganese: 1 ppm
Silver: 0 ppm
Titanium: 0 ppm
Potassium: 0 ppm
Boron: 17 ppm
Silicon 9 ppm
Sodium: 4 ppm
Calcium: 2026 ppm
Magnesium: 8 ppm
Phosphorus: 856 ppm
Zinc: 811 ppm
Barium: 0 ppm

SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 60.3 (Should be 60-69)

Flashpoint in F: 395 (should be >375)

Fuel %:
Antifreeze: 0%

Water: 0%

Insolutables: 0.5%

8 ppm of aluminum considering that you say you drive it hard does not seem surprising. You have aluminum pistons, right?

What is the cylinder bore material on your engine?

John

I also use Castrol GTX Hi-Milage 10W30 in my beater,used about 1qt every 1k miles also.Did you use synthetic oil in the prior 120K miles?

Yes, I did use synthetic prior to the change.

The cylinder bore is, I think, fiber reenforced steel sleeves. The pistons are certainly aluminum.

I'm wondering if the silicon had something to do with the residual aluminum in the oil?

I don't think the Al has ever been that high... and I'm wondering what would cause that in the H22A Honda motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back