Castrol Edge(Gold) 5W-30, 10kOCI, '06 Expeditition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Feelings should never be used in judging a lubricant. Try a 5W30 after using your Edge up.

Not sure about the feeling comment ... But this is 5w30 and I've been running 5w30 for the last 30,000 miles.

If you are referring to me saying "I feel its pretty clean" then feel free to replace "feel" with "think" if that settles with you better. I did post the reason I think it is clean. Every filter I've cut open has been spotless.

Originally Posted By: car51
What's wrong with the EDGE black you used? I ran it for 8,400 miles and didn't think it was bad at all

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. I ran it for about 8,500 miles and was quite happy with it. I changed it a bit earlier than I intended because I was going on a 1,000mile trip and thats when I put in the gold bottle hoping to run 11k, but got cold feet and dropped it at 10k.

As I said though, my uoa on the black at 8500 got lost in the mail, so I have no idea what wear was like with that.

All that being said, I was quite happy with the gold at 10k until I saw the high iron and aluminum. But I'm not convinced that it isn't environmental and will always show high metals in the winter no matter what.

Bearing metals look good, I think, so I might do another long run and see... Or I might get cold feet and drop it early.

But if I back it down to 7500, I'm going to do it with a cheaper oil. No since in running 15,000 mile oils for half that long, imo.

In all honesty and keeping things simple; I would have stayed with EDGE black jug. That's my mechanic brain thinking out loud

No real argument, but do you mind if I ask why?

That may be where I end up, particularly if I reduce mu oci to 7500. (that or magnatec)

Just because I think its a good synthetic. I planned to run the EDGE for 7,500 miles but 8,400 miles did it no harm. remember: magnatec comes in a blend or synthetic also

I agree. Tue only reason I went with the gold was I wanted to do 11k to get me back on schedule by the odometer.

My original plan with the black's was to do 7500 but then I got a wild hair and decided to try for 10k then got cold feet at 9k.

I'm thinking for my use 7500 is probably as far as I should go. We plan to get a travel trailer this spring and hope to do most of the trips with the expedition rather than the truck if it will pull well enough.

Might seem silly when we have the F250 collecting dust, but changing cat seats is a royal PITA and the 250 doesn't have the LATCH points in the seats which makes for a much safer attachment over the seat belt which never seems to get tight enough.

I would go say 5,000 like we do on our Ford/Lincoln stuff at my work and we use 5w30. For your short trips you could probably use the Magnatec blend. Up to you. My ford owners manual says regular service is 6months or 7,500 miles

Would you be willing to try a PP run? I would be very interested to see the results.
Originally Posted By: meborder
My first extended drain. Not quite sure what to think. Compared to the other samples there are some interesting trends.

Code:

OIL Castrol 5w30 Trop 5w30 NAPA 5w20

Edge Artic Synthetic

Gold Bottle SynBlend

MILES IN USE 9,980 4,989 6,447

MILES 149,085 125,086 114,429

SAMPLE TAKEN 01/14/15 10/23/14 06/01/14

Metals (ppm)

IRON 88 10 45

CHROMIUM 2
LEAD 1
COPPER 4 1 2

TIN
ALUMINUM 19 4 22

NICKEL
SILVER
TITANIUM 20
VANADIUM

Contaminants (ppm)

SILICON 12 8 10

SODIUM 18 17 278

POTASSIUM

Additives (ppm)

MAGNESIUM 278 14 118

CALCIUM 1990 2044 1792

BARIUM
PHOSPHORUS 648 690 627

ZINC 755 761 730

MOLYBDENUM 69 15 6

BORON 58 70 9

Contaminants

WATER (%)
Coolant No No No

Physical Tests

Visc (cSt 100C) 8.9 8.9 9.0

TBN (mgKOH/g) 2.4 2.6 2.5

The relatively high iron (compared to the trop artic) is interesting. but what is more interesting is that on a per 1,000 miles basis the iron level is about the same as it was with the Napa 5w20. Why I find this interesting is that these were both winter time OCI's and the silicon levels are remarkably similar. The trop artic sample was all highway summertime miles with a different brand of air filter and much lower SI.

the aluminum was still quite a bit lower than the NAPA which for this motor could mean less wear on the top end -- which would be quite good.

The TBN is outstanding for that mileage, but this would represent one quart of Edge black, and 2 quarts of Edge gold for top off in the 10k oci.

surprised at the viscosity, though. I would have thought that the Castrol would have held on to the viscosity a little better.

surprised at the copper and lead. but with more miles, maybe those numbers aren't concerning.

What do you guys think about running 10,000 miles on an OCI during the winter?
I'm still new at this so help me out.

Oh, this was with a Bosch D+ oil filter.

Current fill is the same oil for same OCI and Fram Ultra filter.

Would you be willing to try a run of PP? I would love to see if it's able to help your wear!

Originally Posted By: car51
I would go say 5,000 like we do on our Ford/Lincoln stuff at my work and we use 5w30. For your short trips you could probably use the Magnatec blend. Up to you. My ford owners manual says regular service is 6months or 7,500 miles

My owners manual says 5000 for regular service and 3000 for severe. If I'm going back to 5k oci's ill just use trop artic as I'm 100% confident in that oil at that oci. But I'm trying to extend because I'm tired of changing oil every other month.

I don't do "short" trips. Every day is 20+ miles to work and 20+ back home with the occasional longer trip to grandmas or a road trip to the hills (6+ hours)

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss

Would you be willing to try a run of PP? I would love to see if it's able to help your wear!

I tried PP and didn't like it at all. Motor was very noisy and consumption was twice that of any other 5w30. Not interested in anything Pennzoil. Tried it once, that was enough.

Thanks for the lab test results. It seems like the Trop Artic Syn Blend specs match the Motorcraft syn specs. Orcheilen's is a local farm store that has this Trop Artic oil for $1.99 once or twice a year.

I think winter/summer may be a factor but 5K OCI still looks to be best in our case. Most of our one way trips are 20 miles or greater.

For a couple years we have been using Archoil AR9100 in all engines. I use it for its cleaning ability but its add package is to double OCI per Archoil but we do not. We do have some engines that only get the oil changed ever 3-6 years however due to seeing very little usage.

We use a lot of 5W-40 Rotella T6 in our gas big blocks with flat tappets and old diesel tractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back