Castrol "Edge" Advanced Synthetic Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if the per quart price of Edge is that much more than other synthetics, but for the 5-quart jug at Walmart it is $5.50 more than M1 EP and $8.00 more than regular M1. Considering that warranties are getting longer for drivetrains, and most cars sold in the US have a manufacturer specified OCI of 7500 or less (German cars being the big exception), it does make one wonder.

Originally Posted By: Xman77
That leaves people who are 'in the know', or research this stuff out, and have similar opinions/habits to those on this board. If that is the case, it is necessary for Edge to produce exemplary test results and back up their claims at running at 15k OCI.

If Castrol is marketing to those "in the know", I would expect much more than the lightweight PDS they put out for this line of oil.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
I don't know if the per quart price of Edge is that much more than other synthetics, but for the 5-quart jug at Walmart it is $5.50 more than M1 EP and $8.00 more than regular M1. Considering that warranties are getting longer for drivetrains, and most cars sold in the US have a manufacturer specified OCI of 7500 or less (German cars being the big exception), it does make one wonder.
The same German cars that require a fully synthetic oil that meets such-and-such MB/BMW/VW spec? Manufacturers don't set dangerously long OCIs, it would cost them money. So the only way they can set a very long OCI would be to require the use of high-end oils that can take the abuse. In the event of a warranty issue, it's likely that you'll need to produce proof that you used the correct oil every change (unless you always get it changed at the dealer).

I also love how the average joe will look at their manual and see x miles for "normal" driving, and yet fail to see that their driving routine falls right into "severe" with a much-reduced OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back