Castrol Edge 5w30 no longer A5/B5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: supercity
They must be referring to ACEA 2012

What confuses me is that's been around for a while, so I'm not sure why there would be an issue now, unless formulators get a heads up about something new. Someone in the industry here would have to answer that for us.

ACEA 2012 is still a valid specification. I'm not aware of any recent changes since 2012. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Yes, it's clear they know how to print a label. How about a data sheet?
wink.gif

Now you're pushing it.
smile.gif

Sure, it's still a valid specification, but there was supposed to be a new one.
wink.gif
Also, you've probably seen this, which is why I was wondering what's up. It's not like A5/B5 2012 just got dropped into their laps six months ago. Do these specs evolve before a new spec is released? Was there some confusion? Was there some clarification directives issued by ACEA? Is Castrol (and perhaps Mobil) getting ready early for the next ACEA sequences?

Now that I think of it, maybe that's how Castrol prints data sheets. Grab your list of approvals, type that up. Grab your SAE J300 and ACEA sequences or API standards, as the case may be, type out the minimums and maximums, slap a product name up top and address at the bottom. If you're really ambitious, toss a pour point on the sheet, and you're set.
wink.gif

Also, you've probably seen this, which is why I was wondering what's up.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm referring to. Castrol claims there was a recent change to ACEA sequences, but I can find no evidence of it anywhere.

I have looked at all of the oils commonly available at WM, AAP, AZ, etc, and the only one that says A5/B5 is PP. Both Black and Gold bottles of Castrol used to list it, but no longer.

The jugs I saw today were still carrying A5/B5, but I didn't really paid attention to the date code... Was purchasing some A3/B4 and C2 stuff...
I think Castrol are quite slow movers in most supermarket here, way more expensive than Total or Shell products.

Sure, it's still a valid specification, but there was supposed to be a new one.
wink.gif
Also, you've probably seen this, which is why I was wondering what's up. It's not like A5/B5 2012 just got dropped into their laps six months ago. Do these specs evolve before a new spec is released? Was there some confusion? Was there some clarification directives issued by ACEA? Is Castrol (and perhaps Mobil) getting ready early for the next ACEA sequences?

Now that I think of it, maybe that's how Castrol prints data sheets. Grab your list of approvals, type that up. Grab your SAE J300 and ACEA sequences or API standards, as the case may be, type out the minimums and maximums, slap a product name up top and address at the bottom. If you're really ambitious, toss a pour point on the sheet, and you're set.
wink.gif

Saves time, money and confusion when there's reformulations...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Did castrol's products in Europe drop references to ACEA A5/B5 all of a sudden as well?

Australia has a range of products more comparable to Europe than the US. The product range here is not really comparable to the US, ACEA and API lubes are usually marketed seperately, as a result the Castrol A5/B5 lubes we have were not affected.

Mobil 1 5w30 did loose A5/B5 here too however Mobil Super X1 Formula FE 5w30 retained A5/B5. This lube is only API SL.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Yes, and drives BITOGers nuts.
wink.gif
Of course, we're the only ones who really care, and probably the only ones that hound them about it, too.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Yes, and drives BITOGers nuts.
wink.gif
Of course, we're the only ones who really care, and probably the only ones that hound them about it, too.

True, true and true on all three points.

Yet we should also be the guys that know it often doesn't matter that much anyway. If they are updating the biodiesel part of the sequence, how many people will that affect ? Probably not you or me for starters.

Yes, we should know it doesn't matter much, but we do like looking at the numbers. As for the biodiesel thing, I would agree. I know a fair number of people around the city here, and I have enough trouble naming more than one who needs a C3 or a dexos2 motor oil, let alone a single one who has to worry about the B5 portion of the A5/B5 specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back