Cars with busted ac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I couldn't live without A/C. I hate the heat.

All of my cars have excellent A/C.

Same here, preferably with cooled seats!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
In hot weather, I sometimes like to roll down the windows when starting up the car. I'd assume that some of the cars with open windows are trying to combat the temperatures inside due to greenhouse effect.

A trend in make/model probably does imply something though...

Vehicles with dual AC will naturally have twice the risk of failure.

Same here, I usually like to open the doors and wait a few seconds before getting in. Then I roll down the windows for the first block or two before the A/C starts making a dent in the temperature.

Central A/C in new homes, and A/C in cars was a not so common option not that long ago. Especially in the temperate climates. It used to be a rather expensive option in cars up until the late 70's and early 80's. Now it standard equipment, and they wouldn't be able to sell a car without it.

I haven't had many cars with AC, and currently not working on my car of the moment. First thing I do when I get in any car, summer or winter, is to put the drivers window down, I just can't stand being locked away from fresh air. None at home either...currently sitting at home in the middle of winter, with no heating on. It's 8c.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'm probably one of the few oddballs who never runs the ac or heater,and always has the windows down/tops off
laugh.gif

In Miami Beach you could always spot a tourist. They are generally driving a Mustang with the top and windows down on gridlocked Collins Ave or Ocean Drive. Their head and face are all burned up. It only takes a few short minutes to burn up from the blazing sun down here. Meanwhile residents are riding around with every thing closed up tight and behind their dark tinted windows. Most people down here [like myself] never drop their windows.

Now that I think about it I have never even tried to see if the rear windows even open.

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
I'm probably one of the few oddballs who never runs the ac or heater,and always has the windows down/tops off
laugh.gif

In Miami Beach you could always spot a tourist. They are generally driving a Mustang with the top and windows down on gridlocked Collins Ave or Ocean Drive. Their head and face are all burned up. It only takes a few short minutes to burn up from the blazing sun down here. Meanwhile residents are riding around with every thing closed up tight and behind their dark tinted windows. Most people down here [like myself] never drop their windows.

Now that I think about it I have never even tried to see if the rear windows even open.

hahaha, that was me 20 years ago in a rented convertible at a friend's wedding at the Fountainbleau! We got fried to a crisp.

Fast forward to today and [censored] no, all vehicles frosted up with ice cold AC! We saw 108 here last year in traffic and sitting there with no AC at our high humidity would be a killer now!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I was in it on a motorcycle. That SUCKED.

WOW, welcome back Jarlaxle!
smile.gif

My Civic has busted AC, so that's why I'm driving it with the windows down but on that same hot day if you see me in the Corvette I will have the windows down and the AC will be off, even though it works perfectly fine. I just enjoy driving the Corvette with the wind in my hair
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
My Civic has busted AC,

I wonder if it's not working because it wasn't being used often enough.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
My Civic has busted AC,

Usually the a/c stops working because all the refrigerant leaks out. Whether you use it or not, if a leak develops it will stop working whether you use it or not. I suppose the other possibility is that the compressor seizes up due to rusting because it doesn't get lubricated with oil, but even if you don't use the a/c, if you turn on the defroster, it will usually activate the a/c to use as a dehumidifier.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
My Civic has busted AC,

I used it rather often in the Civic actually, because it's the car I'll use when it's raining, and often that meant I needed the AC just to clear the windows properly.

Eventually I'll get around to having it looked at, but if it's a huge expense I'm not going to spend money fixing it.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Just had mine recharged (with UV dye) in the Vic. Has a tiny leak, need to find it.

You might want to check out the accumulator. My 2005 Crown Vic had that issue a few years ago at 200K miles. It took weeks to find the leak. It was a very slow leak. He kept refilling my Vic with Freon until the leak was found. My mechanic did a bunch of accumulators on Panthers over the years.

Yeah, I know that's a common trouble spot...though I recall that's more common with the automatic HVAC. (Which my police cruiser lacks.)

On the plus side, the part is only about forty bucks.

When I was a kid AC basically DIDN'T exist. The rich had it in their homes and cars. The rest of us grew a backbone. Now people act as if it's a necessity. It's not. We have sweat glands for a reason.....lol

Chrysler minivans have leaks around the wheel-well area. Coworker has that issue and has to recharge every year. The only vehicle without working AC is the Festiva. Living in the city is different than when I grew up in country. Concrete/asphalt soaks up the heat and stays that way. We had no AC in anything but mom car's growing up. I won't be without AC in anything again. Although I ride my bike in 100 degree temp and overall I feel better if I subject myself to the heat at least once a day.

laugh.gif

The joys of living in TX.

I was probably one of the PT owners the OP mentioned,lol. Anyhow, I tracked the problem down to a faulty fan relay module (ac will not cool properly on a PT at lower speeds). It's now cooling great (down to around 38-39 degrees). Still plan on selling the critter next year though!

I also tackled the AC in my '92 Chevy pickup this summer. Replaced everything except the evap core in/under the dash. It will cool down to 38 degrees now (just like it did when I bought it in 1992).

Also found the problem with my 79 Caddy AC. The hose/s connector behind compressor was slightly loose. Converted this car a few years ago to R134. All new stuff except I kept the original evaporator core and condenser. It will cool down to 40 degrees.

Used DuPont Suva R134 on all 3 vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back