carrying four bikes w/ a Class 1 hitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JC1
Looks ok. Whatever you do, don't hog the left lane with all those bikes on the rear and drive like you own the road. Lol.

Agreed, I drive the speed limit in the R lane, whether or not carrying bikes. I use the L lane for passing only.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
The Thule bike-rack literature says to not carry four bikes when the carrier is used with a Class I receiver. My work-around was to reduce the sway and tongue weight by using ratcheting straps. The Mazda 5 doesn't have a roof rack, so I installed a couple of nylon straps w/ eyes to attach the ratcheting tie-down strap to. The other end of each eye strap is bolted to the top attachment point for each rear hatch strut. Foam pipe insulation protects the paint on the hatch from the straps.

While you're probably not exceeding the tongue weight on the hitch, you are putting more torque on it with the rear 2 bikes on it. Probably to alleviate the extra torque load, probably need to attach the hatch strap further back on the rack, but that also means you'll be torqueing the hatch more.

Why I prefer a Class III hitch.

Quote the Raven "Winnipeg, Lose-a-peg".

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
While you're probably not exceeding the tongue weight on the hitch, you are putting more torque on it with the rear 2 bikes on it. Probably to alleviate the extra torque load, probably need to attach the hatch strap further back on the rack, but that also means you'll be torqueing the hatch more.

Why I prefer a Class III hitch.

Quote the Raven "Winnipeg, Lose-a-peg".

Agreed, the Class I hitch was the only one available for the 5, probably because it (the vehicle) is not rated for towing.

As far as Lose-a-peg, remember that the Goldeyes are the current American Association of Independent Professional Baseball champions.
laugh.gif

And our Blue Bombers won the Grey Cup as recently as 1990 - it's impressive to not win that many years since in an 8 or 9 team league.
frown.gif

And our Jets won the final WHA Avco Cup in 1979. This year's NHL Jets are showing promise. We'll know for sure by mid-June.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back