Carquest #R85334 FRAM MADE, 6,500MILES CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fordai
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The CQ Blue filter has a coil spring. I wish I had taken pictures of it. Very "stout".

That's probably an old stock Wix filter, champion labs took over sometime in 2015 and the blues if new stock should be leaf spring

No, it was not a Wix. It had the signature Fram baseplate.

So it had 6 large inlet holes right?

Accord to champion labs own video this is what the Wix vs champ filters look like side by side.

315ix3s.png

The CQ Blue filter has a coil spring. I wish I had taken pictures of it. Very "stout".

That's probably an old stock Wix filter, champion labs took over sometime in 2015 and the blues if new stock should be leaf spring

No, it was not a Wix. It had the signature Fram baseplate.

So it had 6 large inlet holes right?

Accord to champion labs own video this is what the Wix vs champ filters look like side by side.

315ix3s.png

It actually looks like the TG10575 and XG10575 on rockauto. Eight rectangular holes.I have pictures of it on an sd card. Still trying to figure out how to post pics here.

Last edited:
Good day!

Just for info, Carquest red filters are a lower quality than the blue filters. Those that begin with Part Number R are the cheaper line. What do you expect for a filter that typically costs between $2-$4?

When Advance merged with Carquest, for a short period of time Champ Labs was making their automotive filters. However, issues quickly appeared and Champ Labs was replaced with Mann Hummel (who also now owns Wix Filters). They make the Light Duty filters for Carquest. Their (Carquest) heavy duty filters are made by Baldwin (supplier of many OEM applications).

Revived 2 year old thread ... are things still the same today?

The same in what way?

Most Car Quest filters made now are Purolator made.
There may be some of the older Wix/Frampion made in slow moving stock stores (or online).
Seem to remember one or two diesel filters made recently that were not Purolator made.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
The same in what way?

The same filter they were 2 years ago. Seems these type of filters change suppliers once or twice a year.

Seems like they were manufactured by Wix for at least 7 years when viewing the Champion Labs / Mobil 1 comparison chart from 2007.

I have both a Frampion CQ Blue with a mfg date in Oct 2014 and a Wix CQ Blue filter with a manufacturing date of 2014, so that shows me the transition period of the 84899. The latest dated Frampion CQ Blue I have is Feb 2016, showing me near the end of the Frampion run.

One of the issues noted was the way the gasket was attached to the filter. Champ Lambs DOES NOT have the contract for Carquest. I work at one and have for the past five years. However, again, I point out there is an economy filter (red box and part number begins with R and premium - blue box). The filters being discussed here is the economy filter as the part number begins with "R" and the filter has red markings on it.

Just wanted to let people know there are two different quality filters available from Carquest, and your thread pertains to the cheap one.

If you want the quality filter, get the blue box filter (part number has no letters in it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back