carboned plug on generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a used Winco propane generator with a Tecumseh engine and it ran when I bought it. I did not do much excapt change the oil, but when I tried to start it twice it would run at a low RPM and could not kick up to 3600 RPM. I changed out the plug as the old one electrode was carboned black between the center insulator and the outside. It then started up and ran normally. Was it the problem? How did it get that way?

I have no experience on propane engines. The Winco was used but other than that I do not have any history.

Probably short run times. Propane can cause soot if it burns rich or cold, worse soot then you'll have ever seen before.

I had no idea Tecumseh had made any propane engines.I know their gasoline engines are sub par,I guess they couldnt get them to run very clean on propane either.

Sub par???? My Tecumseh snowblower engine is run very hard every year is is now going to start its 26th year. It is an 8 HP. Original carb, only maintainence has been oil changes (annually) and spark plug replacements. Would buy another if they were still made.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Sub par???? My Tecumseh snowblower engine is run very hard every year is is now going to start its 26th year. It is an 8 HP. Original carb, only maintainence has been oil changes (annually) and spark plug replacements. Would buy another if they were still made.

Can second that my friend! Same 8HP Tecumseh running in my John Deer commerical 15 year old blower. I paid for the JD oversized auger and fell in love with the drainable auger differentail. Still runs great. And me thinks the green paint cost me an extra dollar or 2.

I agree. It does a great job for these Chicago area winters
thumbsup2.gif

Wanna add that not sure what's up with your generator, but figure it out! I'm running a Generac on LP (not NG) it's 16KW and runs 80% of my house. Im on topa little mountain and my juice goes out often but not for long durations.

I've had it since 2009. It's a V-Twin. I use Mobil 1 5-30 and the same Puralator filter I sue for my 95 Camry 2.2. Change oil and filter first week of May and first week of December. Oil has always been amber in color and the plugs still look new.

Mine does always choke a bit on start up, but that should be because of the 200FT run from LP tank to generator. That was fun to sleeve!

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Probably short run times. Propane can cause soot if it burns rich or cold, worse soot then you'll have ever seen before.

So mine might need adjustment? There is no levers to pull, like a choke or speed. Its an automatic start and cut-over. For now I have it OFF and turn it to AUTO to start it up.

Guess I need to start it once a month and check the spark plug once and awhile. Maybe get a spare.

I need to learn/understand more about the propane supply. For now its on a 20lb propane cylinder, I think the minimum they suggest is a 50 gallon. I may need to buy a $40 gauge to measure the pressure accurately after the regulator. I have a 100lb tank to use, the 20lb is just my testing tank.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: tommygunn

So mine might need adjustment? There is no levers to pull, like a choke or speed. Its an automatic start and cut-over. For now I have it OFF and turn it to AUTO to start it up.

Guess I need to start it once a month and check the spark plug once and awhile. Maybe get a spare.

I need to learn/understand more about the propane supply. For now its on a 20lb propane cylinder, I think the minimum they suggest is a 50 gallon. I may need to buy a $40 gauge to measure the pressure accurately after the regulator. I have a 100lb tank to use, the 20lb is just my testing tank.

Propane is an odd beast to me. I'm running 3 100gallon tanks for mine (16k). I would think you would want at min one 100 GALLON (not lb) as cold temps require more space in the tank.

What size is your generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back