Carbin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone notice when you use a PEA type fuel system cleaner, early morning when starting the car, you would smell carbon? No blue smoke, but it smells like a burnt smell so to speak.

Must be a good thing right.
grin.gif

Probably had a critter who got under the hood lookin for a munchin on them wires then hes bbq now

Originally Posted by ad244
Probably had a critter who got under the hood lookin for a munchin on them wires then hes bbq now

...‚.. that'll do it!

No, can't say I've noticed that before OP but I guess as long as it subsides in short order it's a non issue, no?

If you have an obd2, check your Cat temps once fully warmed. If anything is blocking/being burned off the Cat's I'd think you'd get elevated temps. I think Cat's run around 1500f??

Last edited:
No, early morning I can smell nothing except coffee.

I suspect it has as much to do with which way the wind is blowing on the mornings you observe it. The concentration (x fuel rate = amount) of the cleaner present in that moment you start the vehicle is very low.

Originally Posted by ad244

Nope, it is from the exhaust.

Originally Posted by Kira
Tomorrow morning I'll give my exhaust a sniff as I'm running Techron at full dosage.

I dying to "smell carbon".

It would sound like i am making this up but I am not. When you smell it, you will know what I am saying.

When I had my Lexus GS430 with low miles, I use the Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner, every morning I start it up, I can smell the burnt carbon smell. It only last under a minute.

And If I dont use a PEA fuel system cleaner, it would smell normal, like any other vehicle that starts up early morning. Some unburned fuel smell then as engine warms up, no more smell.

I don't think I've ever noticed the carbon smell when using Techron or other FSC's, honestly I don't know what carbon would smell like. However I do notice more of a gassy smell on cold starts when using Techron or other FSC's.

how do you know what
"burnt carbin" smells like?

maybe you are just smelling the odor of burning fuel additive?

i wish my car would put out the smell of money and then follow it with a few 100 dollar bills.....lol

seriously though, i think i have also noticed a slight different exhaust smell once before when i run fuel system cleaner.

Originally Posted by Rand
how do you know what
"burnt carbin" smells like?

maybe you are just smelling the odor of burning fuel additive?

I couldnt readjust the title. But in my statement I did put burnt carbon smell.

It smells like something is burnt, like when you over cooked something.

Well, when starting you're in open loop for a while until things heat up so maybe the rich condition has something to do with it?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Well, when starting you're in open loop for a while until things heat up so maybe the rich condition has something to do with it?

It only does it when I am using a PEA FSC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back