Car speaker

I suck at using a multimeter. I have a car speaker not working. Not sure if it’s the speaker or the wires going to the speaker or something else. How do I use a multimeter to determine if power is getting to the speaker?
p.s I can’t remove the speaker it’s located in the dash and the wires are soldered to speaker so I need to test it while it’s still installed

AC volts. Turn the volume up somewhat loud, and set the balance and fader all the way to the speaker that does not work so the other ones are quiet.

But how do I use the multimeter to determine if Power is getting to the speaker? What setting do I use on multimeter and what am I looking for in the display?

Swap the speaker with a known good one.
The speakers are located in the dash near front windshield and the wires are solder to the terminals. This is a 2018 Subaru Forrester. I’d prefer to test with a multimeter before trying to remove the speaker from the dash.

They should have harness plug regardless of the 'soldering', unless someone went nuts with wire cutters and a soldering iron, in which case, you cut or desolder them.

Because dash speakers are usually parallel with door speakers, you'd need to run the speaker independently.

You're not providing enough details to be specific.

But how do I use the multimeter to determine if Power is getting to the speaker? What setting do I use on multimeter and what am I looking for in the display?
5 volts or less, and change in the reading is a good indication. If it's a digital meter, it must be fast reading. An analog meter might be a better choice. Good luck!

If you can't remove the speaker, can you disconnect the wires that go to it? You should be able to set your multimeter to measure ohms, and you should measure around 3-4 ohms. While you are measuring the resistance, you should hear a faint click from the speaker as you connect or disconnect the wires. If your multimeter reads infinite or overflow on ohms and you don't hear the clicks, then it may be open or you have a bad connection somewhere. If you can get to the connections at the speaker, you should be able to measure AC voltage that gets higher as you turn the volume up.

Make, or buy a pair of wires with alligator clips on each end. Clip these jumper wires to the connectors where the wires are soldered.

Using another speaker, clip the other end to that speaker’s terminals and see if you get any sound.

Don’t do it for too long; just enough to see if any sound comes through. You don’t want to mess up anything with your amplifier just in case. (I’m no audio guy). 😎

Also be sure to use a speaker that is the same ohm rating.

If you get sound, you know to swap out the speaker. If no, then it’s a wiring issue.

My two cents.

An el-cheapo multimeter whether analog or digital should have a AC~ on the dial for AC testing. Most dash/a-pillar speakers are terminated in a harness connector located under the kick panel. Look up a wiring diagram to find the speaker output pins on the harness and probe both connectors to get a reading.

An el-cheapo multimeter whether analog or digital should have a AC~ on the dial for AC testing. Most dash/a-pillar speakers are terminated in a harness connector located under the kick panel. Look up a wiring diagram to find the speaker output pins on the harness and probe both connectors to get a reading.
Can I use the multimeter to test the wiring where terminate at the speaker? If so, exactly, what am I looking for and how do I use the multimeter?

The tweeters should be fed by a crossover, or, more likely, a separately processed output of the amp.

I would NOT suspect wiring or connections, nor that both tweeters blew at the same time. (It's possible that one blew first but the sound quality didn't degrate enough to be noticed.) IMO there's something going on in your head unit.

A typical multimeter may not be useful for measuring an amp's output without a load on it. It has NO LOAD, it will measure any minor voltage.

A multimeter can measure the resistance of a speaker's voice coil. Should be a few ohms. If it is infinity, the speaker is blown.

You can also use the meter to check the wire for conductivity from the speaker connection to the amp connection. You must remove the connectors and know which pin is which. Can also check for a short to ground.

Back