Car insurance you can swap between vehicles?

But they have a financial responsibility law. You must show you have the means if you get in to an (at fault) accident to pay for it. How do they do this?
Its a fiction. If an uninsured driver has an at fault accident, only then are they required to post cash or a bond for the damage they caused. If they are financially unable to do so, their license is suspended.

Obviously, for everyone else, uninsured motorist insurance is pretty necessary. And these uninsured New Hampshire drivers cross state lines.

The so called Financial Responsibility law has more holes than a swiss cheese. Its a joke.

Reactions: CKN
Its a fiction. If an uninsured driver has an at fault accident, only then are they required to post cash or a bond for the damage they caused. If they are financially unable to do so, their license is suspended.

Obviously, for everyone else, uninsured motorist insurance is pretty necessary. And these uninsured New Hampshire drivers cross state lines.

The so called Financial Responsibility law has more holes than a swiss cheese. Its a joke.
www.nh.gov/insurance/consumers/documents/nh_auto_guide.pdf

I just looked at this and you are 100% correct. I can't believe the people of New Hampshire settle for this nonsense.

New Hampshire is also the only state I have ever seen that has giant State run liquor stores in the rest areas of Interstate highways. The booze is about 1/3 cheaper than in surrounding states. But they finally raised taxes on cigarettes to a more realistic level.

They have no income tax, no sales tax.. But property taxes are quite high there. Vermonters cross the state line for their taxable purchases and booze.

I knew a foolish old man who lived in New Hampshire. He was very proud of no sales tax and no income tax. Except he had no income and never bought anything beyond subsistence food. He owned a small house and paid property tax through the nose. We called him "Milliwatt Rob" because he was so thrifty with electricity, he even removed the light bulb from the inside of his refrigerator.

• Haha
Reactions: Fla
No. Insurance covers the driver. That’s my point.

Insurance goes with the driver not the car.

If someone wants to drive they need insurance, or the vehicle owner needs some rider.

I have over ten cars insured. My wife and I are the only drivers in the household. How is it reasonable that we only get a pittance of “multi car” discount and have to pay liability on all of them? We can’t drive them.

Thus my point. It’s idiotic to the point of fraud. But I have no recourse.
There's 2 parts of insurance. Liability insurance/PIP/uninsured motorist that covers the driver. And the comprehensive/collision insurance that covers the vehicle.

I've never had a liability only insurance for myself and vehicles when I had a license in PA, NJ & CA, so I wouldn't know what a liability only insurance card looks like.

1685582071142.jpg

I wish a lawmaker would explain this one.... Ohio requires liability insurance to cover any damage you do to the other driver. They then turn around and require that drivers have uninsured motorist coverage. 👍🏻
You may be legally required to have liability insurance, but some people still drive without it and get into accidents. That's what uninsured motorist coverage is designed to protect you from.

I've never had a liability only insurance for myself and vehicles when I had a license in PA, NJ & CA, so I wouldn't know what a liability only insurance card looks like.
Insurance ID cards don't give any indication of what type of coverage you have. If you or someone has a card, at a minimum it means there is at least state-minimum required liability-only coverage in effect.

Insurance ID cards don't give any indication of what type of coverage you have. If you or someone has a card, at a minimum it means there is at least state-minimum required liability-only coverage in effect.
If your vehicle information is listed in the insurance card, then it should be assumed that you would have a minimum comprehensive coverage on the vehicle.

If your vehicle information is listed in the insurance card, then it should be assumed that you would have a minimum comprehensive coverage on the vehicle.
Florida requires that you have auto insurance and that you carry the card. But when the police stop you and when you renew your tags, they always check the computer to see if your policy is still valid. I guess people where signing up for insurance, getting the card and then cancelling the insurance and getting their money back and then driving the rest of the year with their "proof of insurance" card even though they had none.

In 3 out of 4 of the last accidents that my wife and I have been involved in the other party didn't have insurance. 4 out of 5 accidents if you count the one that backed my car in a parking lot last week and took off before I could even get out of my car.

Florida requires that you have auto insurance and that you carry the card. But when the police stop you and when you renew your tags, they always check the computer to see if your policy is still valid. I guess people where signing up for insurance, getting the card and then cancelling the insurance and getting their money back and then driving the rest of the year with their "proof of insurance" card even though they had none.

In 3 out of 4 of the last accidents that my wife and I have been involved in the other party didn't have insurance. 4 out of 5 accidents if you count the one that backed my car in a parking lot last week and took off before I could even get out of my car.
This was happening in many states and facilitated "electronic data interface" with DMVs. Some software company made a ton of money on this.

So your state doesn't use some sort of "point system" where an accident is so many points, a ticket another? Some states a speeding ticket, reckless driving, etc., are more points than others? Your insurance company gives you a "free pass" on speeding tickets? Does your insurance company in your state have electronic interface with the DMV? Which insurance company and which state (down in the park is kind of hard to figure out) are we talking about?

The insurance company can check if the car passed it's annual safety check, the dmv can check if you have insurance and paid tax.

I'm not in any of the 50 states though.

The government will soon start to use a points system on the drivers license

Whether someone has comprehensive coverage on their vehicle is no one's business or concern. Pretty sure that states don't require comprehensive coverage either.

I guess people where signing up for insurance, getting the card and then cancelling the insurance and getting their money back and then driving the rest of the year with their "proof of insurance" card even though they had none.
I've never heard of insurance companies doing this with Ohio's BMV but insurance companies will notify lien holders if you drop coverage (my agent told me this, it's not personal experience).

Now the state of Ohio will "randomly" send out notices asking you to show proof of insurance. I presume it's related to what you say above, where people get insurance, have a vehicle registered, then drop coverage. A former co-worker had this happen to his adult son and they say "show proof of coverage between Feb 1, 2020 and April 30, 2020" or something. They go back in time so even if you have insurance now, it doesn't help if you didn't have it then.

Well, that's the difference then, Here it covers the car and I can let anyone drive my car on the insurance on it.
I gave you the difference. I’m an extreme example, but I own and insure ten cars. I can only drive one. My wife coukd only drive one. Even if I lent two out, I still have a ton that are sitting. All.the.time…

I should be able to pay for my liability and not a liability cost on every single car that I can’t possibly operate.

My example is extreme, but it’s no different if you have three cars in a two driver household or whatever. This front case of “what if I lend out the other car” is just an excuse for theft and monetization by the insurance company. I don’t lend out my cars.

I personally think thst liability should be with the driver, be part of licensure, carry higher than current state minimums to align with the cost of vehicles and repairs, and then let other things like collision, comp, stated or market value replacement be options….

Conversely-why do you need so many cars? Many would call that unreasonable. I refuse to believe you are not duplicating some purpose with some of those vehicles.

That’s not your business because (1) I am a collector, and (2) I PAY to insure them.

I can duplicate purpose all I like. The pursuit of property is a constitutional right. Some insurance company maximizing profit off of anyone (like I said, I’m a fringe case) which is the same with anyone with an “extra” car), is not.

And you saying that I’m duplicating some purpose makes my point exactly. Since I can’t drive them all, and they are duplicative, I shouldnt be penalized for duplicate liability. I can’t drive two cars at once. So you made my point…thanks!

Last edited:
There's 2 parts of insurance. Liability insurance/PIP/uninsured motorist that covers the driver. And the comprehensive/collision insurance that covers the vehicle.

View attachment 158824
Yes, but if you look at your actual insurance declaration, you pay liability per vehicle. That’s my point. I can only drive one vehicle at a time. But I’m charged for liability as if they’re all in use.

And granted, I have two policies, and my low use policy is lower. I pay less on it for 10 cars than I do for three on my regular policy. But both are cases in point.

That’s not your business because (1) I am a collector, and (2) I PAY to insure them.

I can duplicate purpose all I like. The pursuit of property is a constitutional right. Some insurance company maximizing profit off of anyone (like Imsaid, I’m a fringe case but it’s the same with anyone with an “extra” car, is not.

And you saying that I’m duplicating some purpose makes my point exactly. Since I can’t drive them all, and they are duplicative, I shouldnt be penalized for duplicate liability. I can’t drive two cars at once. So you made my point…thanks!
Have fun in your pursuit of happiness.

Since I can’t drive them all, and they are duplicative, I shouldnt be penalized for duplicate liability. I can’t drive two cars at once.
Your agent should be able to find coverage for this kind of scenario.

I just reduced my uninsured/underinsured to the minimum. The reason it makes little sense for me it is purely a liability supplement if you are going to sue them. I have medical insurance to cover my medical bills, and in that event their liability or un/un insurance minimum can cover my deductible. CA minimum liability is 15k/30k/5k. I got hit earlier this year and the woman had minimum coverage. I didn't sue her but nearly maxed out the property damage coverage. That 5k PD is laughable. If I was in a 100k Porsche that woman would have been up up a nice creek.

Yes, but if you look at your actual insurance declaration, you pay liability per vehicle. That’s my point. I can only drive one vehicle at a time. But I’m charged for liability as if they’re all in use.

And granted, I have two policies, and my low use policy is lower. I pay less on it for 10 cars than I do for three on my regular policy. But both are cases in point.
Your point was car insurance covers the driver, not the vehicle
IMG_8804.jpeg

That would be underinsured motorist coverage and I'd voluntarily include that. We ran into that many years ago with a guy, driving a friend's car, and the owner had the minimum coverage ($12,500 at the time !!). Our minivan was totaled, my wife and son both went to the ER, and so on. You can imagine that $12.5k got eaten up real quick !

What I meant earlier was a vehicle registered in Ohio MUST have liability insurance. It's also a law that we have uninsured motorist coverage. They basically contradict each other but I'm sure the insurance industry lobbyists had nothing to do with this !
Uninsured motorist property damage is a MUST here-most of the junk blundering around has no plate or washed out ancient temporary tag-i know these clowns have no license, which=no insurance. I feel like a ground bound version of Top Gun most days...

Back