Car Craft, Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords and 4 Wheel & Off Road have all Ceased

I heard rumours and may have seen something on this forum that some magazines disappeared but it hit hard when the nice lady at ZINIO set me straight. She informed me that the above three magazines have not only ceased publishing paper copies, but they have also ceased their digital publishing.

Can this really be? No more Car Craft? I’ve been a Car Craft reader for over 40 years! I went digital with it a year ago and read it on my IPad. Car Craft was a main stay of Peterson Publishing who dominated the West Coast Car magazine business. Sad to see.

I still had some issues due on the other two magazines, and ZINIO substituted Hot Rod and Four Wheeler. Thank goodness Hot Rod is still around.

For decades 4WOR and FW had nearly identical content. Honestly can't believe this didn't happen in 2010 or even before.

They tried to move a lot of the staff to FW but that's just a feel-good appearances measure, no way one mag can try to absorb twice the writers, editors etc long term. It'll settle out and most will have to find work elsewhere

Been reading 4WOR forever. I met some of the guys out in Moab years back, like Rick Pewe, Fred Williams, Christian Hazel and others.
They even had one of their Ultimate Adventures up here in the Northeast.

Motorcycle Consumer News and a couple of sister publications ceased operations in January. Apparently not enough people are willing to pay for content anymore.

The last edition of Car Craft.

7330D054-571C-4667-9385-6EB12120FE24.jpg

Great "restroom" reading material for over 40 years.

There are a few magazine discounters that offer very cheap deals on print magazines. I routinely get most of the car magazines for 4-5 bucks per year. They must be losing money sending me 10 magazines in the mail, and me only paying 4-5 bucks.

Great "restroom" reading material for over 40 years.

There are a few magazine discounters that offer very cheap deals on print magazines. I routinely get most of the car magazines for 4-5 bucks per year. They must be losing money sending me 10 magazines in the mail, and me only paying 4-5 bucks.
That is how I got all of mine. Car Craft was great to read in the bathroom while contemplating how to spend money I didn't have.

It's a shame, but nothing lasts forever. I remember how the subscriptions kept getting cheaper it seemed.

It's not about the subscription money-- that barely gets the rag through the 3rd class mail.

It's about the advertising, which, for a while, liked increased specialization with niche magazines. You can bet they had one boiler room selling all 19 periodicals.

In todays time if its not on social media or streaming it is destined for failure. The phone and the smart TV are King.

I remember as a kid...and teens that the magazine section of a grocery store was Heaven. My parents could shop the store while i and other kids like me rifled thru the magazines.. sometimes taking some home.

I see a disappearance in comics, cards, and magazines shortly... possibly books.

- Are The Good Times Really Over For Good?- Merle Haggard.

Back