Car battery Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
dang. Add that to the list of maintenance. Periodic check of charging voltage. I also carry a fire extinguisher for such reasons. My wife thinks I am ridiculous. Perhaps its where its mounted. (front of my seat) Rest assured, when she gets her new car, I will put one in hers too. I wouldn't be upset if her current car went aflame as long as no one is hurt.

Does that battery hold down bracket not look extremely close to where the positive terminal once sat? That sure looks like a very good possibility of the cause of the fire to me from where im sitting....

Sorry about your car, that sucks. I wonder if you could easily source replacement parts from a pic and pull yard. Stuff happens man. Regardless what caused it you will never get auto zone to take liability for a battery you put in. And in all likelihood it was either that hold down bracket or an alternator charging wayyyy to much.

Last edited:
The battery hold down was bent by the guys that put out the fire I think they wanted to remove the whole battery.

Originally Posted By: georgemiller
The battery hold down was bent by the guys that put out the fire I think they wanted to remove the whole battery.

Got you, well then maybe the alternator ran away seriously overcharging the battery?

I have never seen a defective battery fail like that but.... You could always try calling autozone... but as a previous poster said, you know lawyers... And autozone has big stacks of cash and many lawyers im sure.

Cant hurt to try.

I wonder if that alternator has a fusable link somewhere in the circuit. It would be interesting to see what it looks like if there is one.

I've got a rubber hose cut down the middle on the positive terminal on the battery for my Camry. Has a small burn mark on the underwood insulation, and a ratchet strap holding down the battery.

I'd double check it's the right size battery and not one that's too tall.

You know it looks really bad, but if you replaced the battery cables and whatever melted in front of the battery, maybe that's all that was damaged. I would try to salvage it if possible. I would be really careful though, make sure there isn't a wiring harness somewhere under there that's melted together or something.

If you do try to salvage the car and replace the damaged components, There is no way I would hook a battery straight up to the cars cables. I would use fused lengths of wire with the battery away from the car a bit. Something like a 15 or 20 amp fuse inline. You definitely don't want to hook the battery up to a dead short. be very careful if you try to fix it.

Do you have full coverage? What kind of miles does it have on it?

Even if you managed to fix it that burnt smell will probably be around for a long time...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

If you do try to salvage the car and replace the damaged components, There is no way I would hook a battery straight up to the cars cables. I would use fused lengths of wire with the battery away from the car a bit. Something like a 15 or 20 amp fuse inline. You definitely don't want to hook the battery up to a dead short. be very careful if you try to fix it.

THat won't work, it won't crank. Just pop the fuse.

I had a hyundai accent I got cheap with a bad alternator, made full power the whole time. The HVAC fan varied with RPM, the old battery boiled and made a mess, and various bulbs were very bright. The airbag light was on-- its controller didn't like the voltage. No CEL though.

An alternator can make 100 amps. A battery can make 1000, 2000?

I think it shorted.

If the alternator shorted, it too would have gotten hot and made a smoke show. It will have a fusible link in the 100 amp range.

I think it was something on the positive terminal. The only unfused thing is the starter motor.

Sreiously overtorqueing the battery strap can do that as well. You would see the battery bulge on the sides but you can get a lot of force from threads.

What is the name of the part that's circled. That's melted a bit and could be a problem. I have shop manual but couldn't find it.

It really isn't that bad.

If there's no local weld-like hot spots on the metal hold-down strap then maybe a loose or oxidized clamp caused excess heat.

I wonder if that alternator has a fusable link somewhere in the circuit. It would be interesting to see what it looks like if there is one.

Not sure what you think that would have done. If the alternator puts out a steady 80-100 amps, that wouldn't blow the fuseable links. The battery would just be overcharged and then overheat, possibly leading to a fire. Of course a defect in the battery or a bad cell might also do the same thing. It should probably be covered under your comprehensive insurance which covers fire and theft. Sounds like you had a good fire going.

At this point you might just want to stick a fork in that car if there's more damage than just a burned wire.

most likely thermal runaway from a short or severe overcharging.
pics not good enough to tell.
look for a battery cable burned beyond the area of fire damage.
the point where the damage stops is your short point.
looks like it wont be too hard to fix it but you MUST FIND THE CAUSE!

Originally Posted By: georgemiller

What is the name of the part that's circled. That's melted a bit and could be a problem. I have shop manual but couldn't find it.

It really isn't that bad.

It's a fuse and relay box for the drl's. (Yes, I have to fix my battery hold down)

Last edited:
If you do, (assuming its possible, which it looks to be) you'll need to give it a good wash-down and neutralise with baking soda afterwards. That fire will have put sulphuric acid all over the engine compartment.

Just heard back from mechanic. At this point he feels cause was defective battery, that two plates in battery touched together. He stated that if voltage regulator/ alternator was defective there would have been burn marks on unit.

We are going to fix it.

Get him to write it all up and go to Autozone. Worst case they say "beat it." Best case you get some compensation. Good luck. And good on you for fixing up the old Camry.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Not sure what you think that would have done. If the alternator puts out a steady 80-100 amps, that wouldn't blow the fuseable links. The battery would just be overcharged and then overheat, possibly leading to a fire. Of course a defect in the battery or a bad cell might also do the same thing.

I *think* some vehicles have fusible links in the voltage reference circuit, if that link opens up it can cause the regulator to crank up the alternators output. I dont know if a camry has this setup, but if it does it needs to be checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back