Car battery dead

If you are unsure, you can LOAD (not just volt) test the battery.
It is easy to do, any part store or Wally with service center can do it.
They may try to charge it first, though so you have to wait or leave it there if the charge is low.

But judging from your description, I agree with anybody here that the battery is bad.
The battery needs to be replaced.

Unless the alternator is bad but you cannot really test the alternator until you put a good chargeable battery.
Then you can run the engine with AC, radio, etc. on and see if the alternator can keep up with the load tester on the battery.

Originally Posted by maximus
Just replace the battery! Don't give it a second thought. This charging overnight and checking voltage nonsense is a waste of time. Batteries are cheap and disposable. There's nothing wrong with the alternator. I promise.
+1
Just replace it and be done with it.

Charging is a part of a regular maintenance to extend the battery life. At this point it makes little sense because the battery doesn't hold charge. Even if you can use the battery for a couple of weeks after charging risking to get stuck somewhere with a dead battery again.

Wal-Mart EversStart Maxx has a 5 years warranty (3+2 pro) and slightly cheaper than Costco. $98 price range.

Costco Interstate used to have 42 months warranty but now 3 years.

Co-worker had A everstart maxx going bad in 4 years and the store have him a new one no questions asked. Store didn't have auto shop.

I had a Costco battery but due to the reduced warranty my last one was from Wal-Mart .

Just picked up a battery from advance auto for $140 for our van. It was so dead it wouldn't stay running after a jump.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Just picked up a battery from advance auto for $140 for our van. It was so dead it wouldn't stay running after a jump.

How old is the van here Skippy ??

It's got an H8, a basic one is $129 at Walmart, or an AGM for $169.

My Genesis has an H9, very expensive
frown.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero

It's a 2018. Radar detector was left plugged in over the weekend and I forgot to unplug it. Wife short tripped the van hard today running errands. I think it killed a cell in the battery, 45 minutes on jumper cables wouldn't get it to crank and after using a jump pack it wouldn't run unless it was connected or I kept the RPM's over 2000. When I kept the rpms up and disconnected the jump pack the dash would flash incredibly erratically and it would die if I let off the gas. The old battery was from Johnson Controls.

It's a 2018. Radar detector was left plugged in over the weekend and I forgot to unplug it. Wife short tripped the van hard today running errands. I think it killed a cell in the battery, 45 minutes on jumper cables wouldn't get it to crank and after using a jump pack it wouldn't run unless it was connected or I kept the RPM's over 2000. When I kept the rpms up and disconnected the jump pack the dash would flash incredibly erratically and it would die if I let off the gas. The old battery was from Johnson Controls.

When a battery dies because of something left on it really needs to be fully charged via AC charger. Not jumped.

If you are running with a bad battery (that won't accept a charge) or no battery in an emergency, you need to put a load on the alternator. If you ever run into this again, try running it with the headlights on.

Originally Posted by BlakeB

If you are running with a bad battery (that won't accept a charge) or no battery in an emergency, you need to put a load on the alternator. If you ever run into this again, try running it with the headlights on.
This won't work on vehicles that use a battery excited alternator.

Look for a date on it. If it is a replaced battery (or even OEM) it should have a date code on it. Anything older than 4 years just replace it. Try to trickle charge the battery and drive your car once in a while to avoid battery drain.

Back