Canadian dimensions question

Originally Posted by BrianF
While we are metric, we are like a [censored] child. Automotive and small engines are a mix, some metric and some imperial. When talking lumber, it's all imperial.

Distance is both. Signs are km while the grid road system was all surveyed out in miles and remains that way.

The grid road system is mostly a Saskatchewan thing. Homesteads of 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile (160 acres) were surveyed and granted back in the late 1890s and early 1900s. Since the grid roads run NS and EW down the property lines, the boundaries of properties will be found at intervals of multiples of 1/2 mile. No-one is going to change that.

People may speak informally about it being 3 1/2 miles to town, but signs and maps are all in Km. Speedometers and odometers for 30 years or more have been in Km. And that makes navigating on the grid road system a bit more more difficult.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
While we are metric, we are like a [censored] child. Automotive and small engines are a mix, some metric and some imperial. When talking lumber, it's all imperial.

Distance is both. Signs are km while the grid road system was all surveyed out in miles and remains that way.

The grid road system is mostly a Saskatchewan thing. Homesteads of 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile (160 acres) were surveyed and granted back in the late 1890s and early 1900s. Since the grid roads run NS and EW down the property lines, the boundaries of properties will be found at intervals of multiples of 1/2 mile. No-one is going to change that.

Kind of irrelevant to the original discussion, but there are plots of public land (typically Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management) in the United States that are mixed like a checkerboard with privately held land. The federal government granted them in 1 miles squares to private railroads in exchange for good work. The railroads then developed and/or sold the land.

http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/blog/checkerboard-effect

This satellite view shows how it affected the development:

[Linked Image from osupress.oregonstate.edu]

Originally Posted by Silk
You wouldn't get a builder here to go back to Imperial, it's crazy to work that way...they use mm.

I don't really use them much now, but in high school and college science classes we always used mertic. I don't know how I would be able to handle changing to "English" units. Once in a college physics discussion group we played around with trying to covert to "English" units and it was a royal pain. A N-m is much easier to work with than a ft-lb.

Still - we have the difference between SAE "standard" and "metric" tools. At least most automotive uses here are metric - even with American cars. But spark plugs are still 5/8".

No, sparkplugs have always been metric, not 5/8 but 16mm, not 13/16, 21mm, not 3/4, but 19mm. The threads have always been metric too. You are going to mention tyres next I know....I'm sick of explaining that one too.

Just a quick correction. 160 acres is a "quarter section" or 1/4 of a mile by 1/4 of a mile.

Originally Posted by ecotourist

People may speak informally about it being 3 1/2 miles to town, but signs and maps are all in Km. Speedometers and odometers for 30 years or more have been in Km. And that makes navigating on the grid road system a bit more more difficult.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Uregina09
Just a quick correction. 160 acres is a "quarter section" or 1/4 of a mile by 1/4 of a mile.

The correction is not correct. A section or 640 acres is 1 mile by 1 mile. A quarter section (160 acres, which was the standard homestead) is 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile.

0.5 X 0.5 = 0.25

We had 2 quarters, our farm was 1 mile by 1/2 mile.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I studied the conversion from meters to yards before I played a Canadian golf course...

You must be a pretty good golfer. To the "average" golfer, the difference isn't generally enough to have to choose between one club vs another, is it ?
It's about a one club difference. 135 yds I'm hitting 8 irons but 135 meter (148 yds) I'm hitting 7 iron.

Yep, still a mixture. However, having said that, the oil industry up here is seriously metric. Depths are in meters, hole size is mm etc. These are multi million dollar protects done entirely in metric. Temps are in C. Anyone who needs to convert to Fahrenheit to talk about it is usually almost senile. We've been reporting temperature in Celsius for at least 41 years. The exception is that most of us will convert to degrees F for our Bitog discussions. Same thing for gasoline, we haven't sold gasoline by the gallon in over 40 years. Highways have been marked in km for just as long. I'm used to talking about gasoline consumption in liters per 100 km. Most who talk about mpg are old men. However, yes, wood sizes didn't change and golf courses are still in yards. Grocery stores got special permission to sell by the pound because it sounds so much cheaper than by the kilo. Blue Jean sizes are in inches. I heard US cars have metric fasteners. What's with that?
LOL
Yup, Snagglefoot has said it well - we (Canadians) use a curious mixture of SI [Metric], US, and Imperial units.

SI was phased in over several years. Our highway signs went from miles and MPH to km and KPH back in '76. There were these cheesy ads from the federal government at the time - as I recall, the happy family is driving on the highway, and has this conversation:

Little girls: "When will we be there?"
Dad: "Well, what does the sign say?"
Girls (in unison): "300 kilometers!"
Dad: "And how fast are we travelling?"
Girls: "100 kilometers per hour!"
Dad: "So how long will it take?"
Girls: "Three hundred kilometers divided by 100 kilometers per hour equals three hours!"
Dad: "Heh, heh, that's pretty good mathematics, girls!"
Girls: "No no, it's Metrimatics!!!"
At this point the entire family, including the previously silent mother, laugh in unison. The parents were probably impressed their daughters were so compliant. And so the tyranny was imposed on us with humour. ;)

We may have gone from Fahrenheit to Celcius around that time as well. In early '79 we went from Imperial gallons to litres, and from ounces and pounds to grams and kilograms. Not sure if centimetres and metres replaced inches, feet, and yards in '76, '79, or somewhere in between. At some point Hectares replaced acres.

Cars were sold with speedometers and odometers in miles through '76 if I recall correctly. Cars were equipped with either Imperial or metric speedometers, depending on the manufacturer, for '77. I think for '78 they were entirely metric.

Around the time the road signs went metric, there were a few short-lived businesses selling decals and stickers for the speedometer. Dad put little sticky metric numbers on the plastic over the speedometer of his '67 Chrysler. The plastic was at least an inch out from the dash, and the parallax error was pretty bad. For my '71 Biscayne and my friend's '76 Bobcat, I installed factory-looking decals that went right on the dash, but of course that was for the speedo only, not the odometer. And of course you got to take the dash apart to apply it.

Alternatively, there was the Kiloverter - a gearbox that went in-line with speedometer cable, that increased the output of the speedo cable by 61% - that is, it ran at 161% of its factory speed. This made the speedo and odometer read metric instead of Imperial - 30 read 48, 55 read 90, 62 read 100, etc. One summer job I had back in the day involved the use of a company truck equipped with a Kiloverter. My crazy fellow summer student liked to bury the needle, not too hard with the Kiloverter installed.

We've never gone completely over; temperature was easy, but we still speak of pounds, feet, and inches when talking about human dimensions. I was introduced to SI in Grade 8 science, so it was not a big deal when Canada went over. I consider myself pretty much "bilingual" w.r.t. Imperial and SI units, but it's surprising to me that younger people, even Millenials, seems to use a lot of Imperial units.

Funny story, in 2007 I was teaching my oldest daughter to drive in my 1995 Chevy Caprice. She is very intelligent (Top 5%) but a bit unsure about the whole driving / mechanical thing. Didn't know some of the basic parts of the car, etc. After drilling it into her head ---> SAFETY FIRST, ALWAYS!!!, she relaxed a bit behind the wheel, except for speed. She wanted to 10-15 mph below the road speed, because "going fast scares her".

We finally got her to drive 70 mph on the interstate, since 55 just was not fast enough. She warily complied, but said the 70 mph "scared her" a little. So, later that evening the whole family was in the car, and she turned to her left to look at something out of the drivers window. I silently reached over a pressed the mph/kph button, and the digital display suddenly read "113"! She looked back and then let out a scream. We all laughed hard that night. Dad was a trickster! :LOL:

You wouldn't get a builder here to go back to Imperial, it's crazy to work that way...they use mm.
Did you do a hard conversion or a soft conversion? In other words, did sheets of plywood become 1.225 meters by 2.250 meters or are they still 4' x 8' but now said to be 1.219m X 2.244m?

If you did a hard conversion, how has that worked out? Are walls on new buildings 2.25 meters high? Are there difficulties when you repair or add on to old buildings?

Back