Canada / Germany Hydrogen

Fair question. Yes, I have see the same comments on hydrogen, and really they are talking about “ green hydrogen” which is made by running electricity through water.

H2 is not stable in nature so yes, I guess that it is considered a storage medium.

To be fair the total cost of manufacturing the lithium batteries need to be considered. How about the costs of manufacturing the batteries plus the cost of doing all the charging, divided by the expected number of miles that can be cycled through it vs the costs of manufacturing the h2 plus the cost of the storage tank, divided by the same number of miles.

Since the battery back will be almost worthless at the end, this is a fair comparison.

There have been stories and shows put out over the years about Germany in the early 1930s doing much testing with that "green h2." Up to not only tests but they even made a small number of prototype vehicles (cars and a few trucks) that used a "green hydrogen" process cracked with electrical charge. Then World War II happened and it all stopped.

What I don't think I can understand today (unless its just what it usually is - simple greed) is what happened to Natrual Gas? Years back when I worked and maintained a large chemical Incinerator (the company called a Waste Heat Generator) LoL just to sound better.... we changed from fuel oil over to Natural Gas. I recall all the talk about how Natural Gas is so abundant in North America and clean burning as well as so cheap. All of a sudden I see American states (some of them) passing laws to outlaw Natural Gas stoves and heaters etc... like it is another from of energy curse. Also hear people now saying how there is even a Natrual Gas shortage etc.... Sounds a lot like an OPEC type of price fixing to me. Anyone ? What happened to the great , abundant / price effective Natural Gas resources that we were promised?

What I don't think I can understand today (unless its just what it usually is - simple greed) is what happened to Natrual Gas? Years back when I worked and maintained a large chemical Incinerator (the company called a Waste Heat Generator) LoL just to sound better.... we changed from fuel oil over to Natural Gas. I recall all the talk about how Natural Gas is so abundant in North America and clean burning as well as so cheap. All of a sudden I see American states (some of them) passing laws to outlaw Natural Gas stoves and heaters etc... like it is another from of energy curse. Also hear people now saying how there is even a Natrual Gas shortage etc.... Sounds a lot like an OPEC type of price fixing to me. Anyone ? What happened to the great , abundant / price effective Natural Gas resources that we were promised?
The short answer is there are not enough pipelines to get it where needed. Its also not the cheapest or easiest thing to store.

This article is from Stanford - its 3 years old but I believe we still have the same problems.

The USA has no deep geological storage location. In fact no one has one in operation yet. Just because someone says its going to happen and makes pretty web pages doesn't mean it has or will. Trust but verify.
It's literally under construction in Finland, it's in the process of happening, sweet Christ, it's just a mine for all intents and purposes. And DGR's are in use for other forms of waste and have been used in that capacity for ages, this isn't new technology.

The US had/has Yucca Mountain, it's not a feasibility issue but rather a political one.
The US has tons of wastes in "casks" stored on site at energy plants. ORNL was given hundreds of millions of dollars to come up with a way to actually inspect these "casks" to ensure there not leaking.
When people think of terms like "leaking" they think that something is able to "leak out". SNF is a solid, it's not "leaking" anywhere. The concern is that the concrete casks might develop cracks that could allow radiation to escape, potentially creating an unsafe dose, though I would assume everybody who is in close enough proximity of these containers for it to matter, is wearing a radiation detection device.
When this is all truly figured out - not a government promise to do it in the future, then I will be 100% in support of nuclear energy. Until then we should breath our own smog, and not force our children to deal with our disaster.
So, polluting the atmosphere, lakes, rivers, oceans...etc all A-OK, but having some casks that are already managed, and super simple to supervise, is some insurmountable obstacle that daren't be passed on as a legacy lest our progeny be so wholly mentally deficient that they cannot continue this most basic of tasks? That's about the gist of your philosophy here?

Last edited:
And oh yes, Nuclear waste isn't stored in "barrels" Its stored in "casks"?? I figured people here were smart enough to realize the barrel likely wasn't a left over oil drum, but I guess not. BTW are those casks left over Jack Daniels casks, because that would be a waste of good oak. Ha.

Good day.
You don't see the importance in highlighting the difference between this:
iu

iu

And this:
FF27C9B5-D6CE-498F-A736-4F12C7876289_1_105_c.jpeg

Or is it just the fact you have an aversion to being called out on using improper language, hence the deflection and attempt to portray those correcting you as imbeciles?

Here is a plot of natural gas as prices in the USA. Just before the Great Recession, hydraulic fracturing of horizontal wells was developed and the Marcellus became a huge gas producing basin, and helped drive down natural gas prices, producing an overabundance that threatened producers and caused numerous bankruptcies. With the cheap gas, LNG terminals were developed and the USA became a LNG exporter. This has cause a climb in natural gas prices and producers will repeat the cycle except this time they have no interest in blowing their brains out like last time.

33BF3F49-9381-4FDF-8666-2A9BCB4046C0.png

Methane (natural gas) has about half the emissions intensity when burned as coal. It also doesn't have the other nasty elements that burning coal has, such as radioactive fly ash and soot, though scrubbers can help significantly reduce particulate emissions from coal plants.

Most of the emissions reduction achieved in the US over the last 20 or so years was via the transition from coal to gas, which was very successful. However, now gas is the new target to reduction/elimination, which is extremely difficult because many of the oft touted replacements (wind and solar) place heavy dependence on fast-ramp gas to cover during periods where they aren't contributing or contributing adequately.

Natural gas shortages are, as @SC Maintenance noted, mostly due to transport issues in the US. Pipeline capacity for example. The US doesn't have a supply issue (neither does Canada) but the increase of natural gas usage in places that have retired other capacity (coal, nuclear, oil) subsequently increases pressure on the distribution system, that hasn't been adequately upgraded to handle this.

Europe is a whole other situation, as Russia is a huge supplier of gas to Europe and with the war in Ukraine, that supply has been reduced or eliminated to many of its export partners, creating supply crunches and they are having to procure the fuel from elsewhere. Germany came to Canada to try and get gas from us, but we (Trudeau) refused to even make attempts to facilitate that request, so now they've gone to the middle east. In the interim, they've simply ramped up coal output, bringing back into service several previously mothballed coal plants. We'll likely see similar actions from other European nations that don't have sufficient gas capacity to weather the winter.

Compress, cool, whatever - LNG is shipped as a liquid - Hydrogen is not. You can't argue the facts so try to denigrate the verbiage. The point is one is shipped in liquid and one isn't.
You posted: “Compress natural gas enough and you get LNG - a liquid - easy to transport.”

That’s not “compress, cool, whatever”. That’s a misunderstanding of basic thermodynamics which for me at least brings into question any other technical point you might try and make. It shows you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. You had a whole infrastructure built around this liquefication method. It’s not “easy to transport” either just as any other cryogenic liquid is not easy to transport.

I am pretty sure the Germans came looking for LNG from Canada, and wanted to invest in it to help secure their own Energy future. Trudeau is the "Greenie" that said no. The thread is not about the politics either way, but that there is no good way to get Hydrogen from Canada to Germany.
I think the main issue is politics.

Germany needs energy and would like to buy natural gas. Canada has lots of energy and lots of natural gas. But Quebec, which is the home of many parliamentary seats, does not want a pipeline which would transport western gas (which is plentiful and cheap) to Germany (where it's needed and expensive). The issue over pipelines is allegedly the risk to Beluga whales in the St Lawrence River which the pipeline would cross. I like Beluga whales as much as anyone but how likely would a gas leak injure a passing Beluga? While it could, it seems pretty unlikely to me. Crude oil (which would flow downstream and be persistant) maybe, but natural gas - come on.

If the federal government (which has jurisdiction over interprovincial pipelines - which this would be) had guts it could just run a pipeline across Quebec. But they don't, so they won't.

So how to get Canadian energy to Germany without offending Quebec (and risk losing all those parliamentary seats in Quebec)?

Come up with a cockamamie solution to provide some sort of energy which does not involve a pipeline crossing Quebec. Make hydrogen out of .... wind power say ... and transport it as ammonia. The project doesn't have to make sense - the government is hoping to get good marks for effort on this one.

Last edited:
There is lots of natural gas in Canada. And it is relatively clean burning (compared to coal anyway).

A problem with natural gas is that when you burn it in a kitchen range the combustion products are toxic and are being released into the home environment. I suspect that's the reason it is being discouraged (at least) for that purpose.

You posted: “Compress natural gas enough and you get LNG - a liquid - easy to transport.”

That’s not “compress, cool, whatever”. That’s a misunderstanding of basic thermodynamics which for me at least brings into question any other technical point you might try and make. It shows you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. You had a whole infrastructure built around this liquefication method. It’s not “easy to transport” either just as any other cryogenic liquid is not easy to transport.
I’m going to interject here. If there is a bit of misunderstanding. LNG plants have massive compression and massive cooling going on. It’s just that it’s the refrigerant that is getting compressed. The refrigerant then cools the natural gas. Yes it is easy to transport once it aboard the carrier. It’s an everyday operation.

There is lots of natural gas in Canada. And it is relatively clean burning (compared to coal anyway).

A problem with natural gas is that when you burn it in a kitchen range the combustion products are toxic and are being released into the home environment. I suspect that's the reason it is being discouraged (at least) for that purpose.

Thanks. We have no gas stove but are quite happy how much our electric bill dropped like a rock when we went from electric heater to nat gas furnace, same with water heater and clothes dryer. So once again it feels like the dog chasing his tail. It just seems each time we find reasons to stop any other forms of energy to "go all electric!" (not accusing u saying that) we smack into that same brick wall. We will have to throw more demand onto the over used , weak (we are told) electric energy grid. The electric grid we will need to ramp up to the amount we will need to replace the latest form of energy we shut down. Thing is most electricity + extra electricity we will need (plus for all the EVs) is still being produced with fossil fuels with no end in sight. Here we go around in circles.....
So the author of the cooking with nat gas danger ends her story with?
Logue points out that simply cooking food, even on electric burners, also emits pollutants, especially particulate matter and acrolein. “Just switching from gas to electric will not solve all your pollution issues with cooking,” she says.
LoL ! Another circle. All we can do is laugh.

I’m going to interject here. If there is a bit of misunderstanding. LNG plants have massive compression and massive cooling going on. It’s just that it’s the refrigerant that is getting compressed. The refrigerant then cools the natural gas. Yes it is easy to transport once it aboard the carrier. It’s an everyday operation.
Yes I was really only commenting on the critical point for methane. But I’d disagree that transportation of a cryogenic liquid is easy. Yes it is an everyday operation but it’s not like transporting a liquid at ambient temperature. Not like the production and transport of propane for example which can be liquified by pressure alone.

Or is it just the fact you have an aversion to being called out on using improper language, hence the deflection and attempt to portray those correcting you as imbeciles?
Your the one that took great offense to a single word, and decided to write a book to correct my ignorance. Please tell me from my initial post, what is factually incorrect beyond the word barrel? It was a brief but concise sentence that summarized the current state, IMHO.
Currently waste is sitting around in cooling pools and barrels all over the world with no plans.

-- Nuclear sites store waste fuel in cooling pools (lined with concrete and steel and monitored, before you correct me)
-- The waste is then stored in barrels "Casks" - I stand corrected. The idea remains.
-- In the US there is no current solution for long term storage. They looked at one 20 years ago but the good people of Nevada don't want it. NIMBY. It hasn't been funded since - across what - 4 administrations?

If there building one in Finland I truly hope it works. I doubt there going to store our waste for us either way but maybe we all learn something.

And yes, I would rather have polluted air, soil and lakes - because then the morons can see the results and live with it themselves or do something about it. If you hide the waste at secure nuclear facilities no one will ever do anything - out of site, out of mind.

And no I am not anti nuclear. I don't think any current site should be shut down because the damage is done - a pound of waste in a "cask" or 100 tons, all the same to me. And when they get long term storage working and Proven - I will be 100% voting for more nuclear power.

The majority has seen and heard too many promises of the future from lying politicians. If you want to actually get people interested in nuclear power again, you will need to overcome this exact issue and perception.

Your the one that took great offense to a single word, and decided to write a book to correct my ignorance. Please tell me from my initial post, what is factually incorrect beyond the word barrel? It was a brief but concise sentence that summarized the current state, IMHO.
Jesus Christ guy, I didn't take great offence, I simply pointed out the Greenpeace use of term "barrels" is factually incorrect, but they use it on purpose, in their media to mislead people, like I showed in those pictures. THAT is why using the correct terminology is important. If you want to get all butt-hurt over it, go right ahead, but I wasn't out of line in correcting you. And, if you notice, I ALWAYS write long posts. I type 140+wpm, I can afford to be verbose.
-- Nuclear sites store waste fuel in cooling pools (lined with concrete and steel and monitored, before you correct me)
-- The waste is then stored in barrels "Casks" - I stand corrected. The idea remains.
-- In the US there is no current solution for long term storage. They looked at one 20 years ago but the good people of Nevada don't want it. NIMBY. It hasn't been funded since - across what - 4 administrations?

If there building one in Finland I truly hope it works. I doubt there going to store our waste for us either way but maybe we all learn something.
No, Finland is building the DGR to store their own waste, just like we are getting ready to build one in Ontario here for ours (once site selection is complete). The US will have to overcome its own issues with Yucca Mountain or another site if that ends up being the choice made. In the interim, it would make far too much sense to pursue something like PUREX to reprocess the SNF and turn it into more fuel like France is doing (they even import SNF from Japan and reprocess it for them).
And yes, I would rather have polluted air, soil and lakes - because then the morons can see the results and live with it themselves or do something about it. If you hide the waste at secure nuclear facilities no one will ever do anything - out of site, out of mind.
But the earth is better off in the latter scenario. SNF decays over time, as I explained, quite unlike other waste streams which are perpetually toxic. Building more nuclear IS doing something about it, curbing pollution and abuse of the planet is the goal.
And no I am not anti nuclear. I don't think any current site should be shut down because the damage is done - a pound of waste in a "cask" or 100 tons, all the same to me. And when they get long term storage working and Proven - I will be 100% voting for more nuclear power.

The majority has seen and heard too many promises of the future from lying politicians. If you want to actually get people interested in nuclear power again, you will need to overcome this exact issue and perception.
The problem is that the same folks fighting any new nuclear, and pushing for existing sites to be shutdown, are fighting against DGR's and any form of long term waste disposal. They know that if the waste problem gets solved, then they'll lose a significant component of their argument. It's far better for them that no solution is built, because then they can continue to rail against it.

Politicians are weak-kneed and cave to these extremist demands. If they didn't, Yucca Mountain would be operational. The best that Average Joe can do is rally and drown out the voices of these nutters/"cookers" (to borrow an Aussie phrase) so that politicians no longer feel obligated to listen to them. We've had very good luck doing this in Ontario against groups like the OCAA.

Politicians are weak-kneed and cave to these extremist demands. If they didn't, Yucca Mountain would be operational. The best that Average Joe can do is rally and drown out the voices of these nutters/"cookers" (to borrow an Aussie phrase) so that politicians no longer feel obligated to listen to them. We've had very good luck doing this in Ontario against groups like the OCAA.
You hit the nail on the head. The trouble for most average Joe , the majority of whom are highly busy with LIFE. No time for them to get out there. Working and slaving for their families and trying to be productive citizens when many of those "nutters" are not real working folks. They have all the free time in the world to cause turmoil over things many really do not give a hoot about. We actually have "nutters" who have come forth and admitted (another way they gain money is to get paid by cable news to confess) they are scheduled and coordianted and paid, with free airline tickets etc... to cruise across the USA to show up and stay in the paid for hotels before going to their "part time work/job" that is marching and waving signs in the streets and moaning & crying on camera "on demand" to act like they are the down trodden real patriots who are takin it to the streets for all of us. NOT. They are the ones too , unfotunatley who create the kaos and violence which causes many innocent folks along with the Police, EMTs who are there to protect folks to get injured and some times worse. But our gov seems to want to protect them more than the innocents. Too **** politicial **** sorry folks / the end.

Yes I was really only commenting on the critical point for methane. But I’d disagree that transportation of a cryogenic liquid is easy. Yes it is an everyday operation but it’s not like transporting a liquid at ambient temperature. Not like the production and transport of propane for example which can be liquified by pressure alone.
No sweat with that. On the other hand the USA liquifies over 10 BCF a DAY and exports it. Another ho hum day for these guys. All good.

NatGas lost some luster due to the amount which is vented to the atmosphere or flared, concerns over groundwater contamination from fracking and poorly sealed abandoned wells, along with distribution leaks. Venting is the worse of the two scenarios because the GWP of methane is 26x greater than CO2.

Jesus Christ guy, I didn't take great offence, I simply pointed out the Greenpeace use of term "barrels" is factually incorrect, but they use it on purpose, in their media to mislead people, like I showed in those pictures. THAT is why using the correct terminology is important. If you want to get all butt-hurt over it, go right ahead, but I wasn't out of line in correcting you. And, if you notice, I ALWAYS write long posts. I type 140+wpm, I can afford to be verbose.

No, Finland is building the DGR to store their own waste, just like we are getting ready to build one in Ontario here for ours (once site selection is complete). The US will have to overcome its own issues with Yucca Mountain or another site if that ends up being the choice made. In the interim, it would make far too much sense to pursue something like PUREX to reprocess the SNF and turn it into more fuel like France is doing (they even import SNF from Japan and reprocess it for them).

But the earth is better off in the latter scenario. SNF decays over time, as I explained, quite unlike other waste streams which are perpetually toxic. Building more nuclear IS doing something about it, curbing pollution and abuse of the planet is the goal.

The problem is that the same folks fighting any new nuclear, and pushing for existing sites to be shutdown, are fighting against DGR's and any form of long term waste disposal. They know that if the waste problem gets solved, then they'll lose a significant component of their argument. It's far better for them that no solution is built, because then they can continue to rail against it.

One of the big bogeymen is the fear of a train derailment or roadway accident when transporting waste to the final depository (Yucca mtn). Of course nuclear proliferation has always been a hurdle with regards to reprocessing.

People would lose their minds in the event of a derailment.

My opinion: if they have so much "free" energy from wind turbines they will be wasting them, it is better for them to use them for something like, data center (consume these days 10-20% of the world's electricity) to run background processing work, or make ice to shift the refrigeration energy consumption from peak to off peak.

Lots of low hanging fruits if you have cheap energy, making ammonia and ship them then turn them back to electricity seems, wasteful.

Back