Can someone explain how oil protects against LSPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went searching for the information when Amsoil claimed 100% LSPI protection and I thought how the heck can they make that claim. What does oil have to do with LSPI.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: jcartwright99
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Guess this answers it
https://www.oronite.com/products/lspi.asp

I tend not to believe much coming from a companies website. I am not saying it doesn't exist and the information isn't correct (not sure) but their main goal is to sell you a product. If it came from engineers I would tend to be more trusting. That said, Dexos and ILSAC GF-6 standards are telling me that there is something to this. Although it seems like there are a lot of variables to this problem that have yet to be fully vetted out.

I have never heard of engine damage due to LSPI. Has anyone had this happen in real life? It just seems like there are a lot of variables and POTENTIAL for major problems but on all the boards I am on, haven't heard of any engines blowing up because of this.

Well, my car was recalled for LSPI...I was lucky and had no issues, but some folks on subaruforester.org were getting new engines. Some of them passed their leakdown tests after a top engine clean, which told me that us FXT owners also have to be on the lookout for deposit issues (I have run the Subaru top engine cleaner as well as their carbon cleaner through a vacuum line). Everybody with the 2.0l DIT engines (also included 2015+ WRXs) got a new ECU program.

The first examples of the Veloster Turbo also had incidences of severe engine damage due to LSPI, although it must be noted that this was a low volume car that was also experiencing a lot of modding. Believe the fix was also through software here.

More recently, Chevy Malibu 1.5l turbos were recalled after some owners were experiencing LSPI damage. GM went so far as to specify that only two particular oils were to be used to fill these cars during the recall, ACDelco in the US and Mobil 1 in Canada.

Believe the word is that running richer at the low RPM, high load conditions that tend to trigger LSPI is a big part of the software fix...I'm sure manufacturers want to get back to getting more fuel economy benefits from their fancy DIT engines rather than wasting fuel to hinder LSPI.

The problem is the consumer wants massive low end torque vs. a great top end.

Be like me and put on a larger and somewhat laggier turbo and not have to worry since I have no boost under 3k in most gears...
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back