Can lightning deals be trusted? (amazon)

On a very specific product, a 4k dash cam, I posted here when it was $129.99, having a $100 off coupon.

I bought one at what I thought was a great price $159.99.

I have watched it for a long time, and it's $229.99 every day, and $179.99 seems like when it goes down, other than the $100 off.

Yesterday I see it as a lightning deal at $179.99, and 26% claimed.

Today, it's $229.99 with a $100 coupon hahahahahahahaha

Is this marketing at its finest? And will it create a slew of returns?

Recent experience with a Dewalt 20v electric chainsaw; initial price was $269 (same as Home Depot), bought one, price dropped before it arrived to $239, filled out a return, bought the $239 item, price dropped to $199, filled out a return again and bought one.

Price today is $212 but two unopened boxes later, wish there would have been a simple way to just adjust the price without the 2 returns. No cost to me but vendor surely pays something for shipping 3 boxes plus the 2 returns.

Is this marketing at its finest?
Lightning deals are tools to generate urgency and trigger additional sales. They don't take "clip" coupons into account, so sometimes they are not the cheapest overall.

Thanksgiving/black friday sales are another conundrum. Few weeks/days leading up to it, many vendors raise their prices just so that they can lower them back to their regular prices for Black Friday and call it a sale.

From what I've read, Amazon tracks how many returns you make. Too many returns and they'll cancel your account.
Back in the day, amazon did offer a credit for a price drop. That's the right thing to do. Then again, Costco does not credit anything, it's strictly return and refund, rebuy. This screwed me when I switched my pending purchase/install, from Bridgestone to Michelin under warranty i.e. wearout. When they redid the order for the Michelins, suddenly, my tires were not worn out! The tech even showed me on his gauge--3/32. Mgr overrode everything, but ironic. i.e I had paid for the Bridgestones less a warranty claim. Since it was not a credit, redoing everyting invalidated that there was any warranty claim at all!

btw I heard the same about amazon, but that's not consistent with free returns for any reason, which is what they say. I can say I'm returning the shoes, because my bread has mold on it. :ROFLMAO:

Retailing is a complete game to fleece people out of their money. I have a friend that was the general manager of one of those huge department stores back in the day when they existed. He tells me its mostly always been that way.

I simply decide what I need to buy and shop around extensively before I buy it. Once I buy it I seldom look at the price again. I may have missed a few sales, but I have also bought a lot less crap i didn't need likely. Its amazing how many things I have in my Amazon cart that I absolutely thought I needed, then a week later I have zero interest anymore.

From what I've read, Amazon tracks how many returns you make. Too many returns and they'll cancel your account.

Flip-side... they also (at least used to) have some kind of process where if you were a "good" customer (in my case, account for about 12 years or so) and you called up and said you never got something, even if you did.. they would credit your account or refund you. If they had to screw the merchant in the process than so be it.

It sounded ridiculous at first but.. in the lens of "keeping the customer happy".. sub-optimal, but, I get it.

I reference certain specific scenarios where items were purchased as gifts 🎁 for certain "people" who then essentially negated any goodwill or positive inclination of said gift (read: ungrateful persons) and even though things said "delivered".. I had to use said nuclear option on about three or four things. Only one vendor wasn't credited; the other three were. Lesson learned. (This going back years, by the way.) I'm just happy I wasn't screwed. I also have trust issues. Hopefully, the merchants got reimbursed by insurance.

Living in New Jersey, ridiculous processes for simple things are absolutely no surprise, and even the norm sometimes. At the end of the day, I have to ask if anything was gained from all the instant gratification.

Amazon doesn't seem to care about certain things, same could be said of many very large corporations. It's RUSH AS FAST AS WE CAN!!! then.. cut back just as fast. Then, a day or so later: RUSH! OVERTIME! WORK WORK WORK!!... They are on par with the wind, in terms of expenses. No sense in their heads. (Speaking as a former worker there.) As to how corporations spend their money??? Oh my my my...

@Astro14 No, not quite. I don't know if the items were delivered to the people. It's 3rd party.

Last edited:
Flip-side... they also (at least used to) have some kind of process where if you were a "good" customer (in my case, account for about 12 years or so) and you called up and said you never got something, even if you did.. they would credit your account or refund you. If they had to screw the merchant in the process than so be it.

It sounded ridiculous at first but.. in the lens of "keeping the customer happy".. sub-optimal, but, I get it.

I reference certain specific scenarios where items were purchased as gifts 🎁 for certain "people" who then essentially negated any goodwill or positive inclination of said gift (read: ungrateful persons) and even though things said "delivered".. I had to use said nuclear option on about three or four things. Only one vendor wasn't credited; the other three were. Lesson learned. (This going back years, by the way.) I'm just happy I wasn't screwed. I also have trust issues. Hopefully, the merchants got reimbursed by insurance.

Living in New Jersey, ridiculous processes for simple things are absolutely no surprise, and even the norm sometimes. At the end of the day, I have to ask if anything was gained from all the instant gratification.

Amazon doesn't seem to care about certain things, same could be said of many very large corporations. It's RUSH AS FAST AS WE CAN!!! then.. cut back just as fast. Then, a day or so later: RUSH! OVERTIME! WORK WORK WORK!!... They are on par with the wind, in terms of expenses. No sense in their heads. (Speaking as a former worker there.) As to how corporations spend their money??? Oh my my my...
So, the merchant delivers the product. You admit that.

But you call up and claim that it was not delivered. You admit in your post that it was delivered. The merchant did, in fact, do what you paid them to do.

And you think this is a good way to get your money back because the person to whom you gave the product has “wronged“ you?

You knew you were lying and you were lying for financial gain.

That‘s fraud.

Want to hear a crazy story....My wife sent 3 people Hickory Farms gifts. Hickory Farms sent 3 people 3 gifts, = 9 units. My wife got charged for 9 units, and Hickory Farms said well the recipients should have returned 2/3 hahahahahahahahaha

She disputed it with her CC, they sided with Hickory Farms, and she got reported on her credit report and denied a subsequent credit card from Chase. Nice going.

I said this ain't over, it's BBB time. Once we did that, ol' Hickory said, we'd like to offer a credit of 6 units.

Recipients of gifts don't know if you want to send them 1, or 3, and my wife would not know either. Where the mistake was made? She made the order over the phone. That's why web is better imho, you do it, and you see it.

I also have a crazy story. My wife bought a very expensive textbook used - still very expensive - like maybe $150 instead of $300 or something - its been a while - from Amazon 3rd party. A USPS priority mail envelope arrived empty. Was as flat as a pancake. Looked at the envelope and it was sealed - so never anything in it. Disputed as it arrived empty but they said "see, here is the tracking number. Tried to explain it was empty, they said you lie. Amazon sided with seller.

Then lightbulb came on - looked at the postmark / postage - as registered at USPS. Showed I think 2 oz's. For a textbook Amazon's own site said weighed 5lbs or something. Sent the postmark and tracking information from USPS to Amazon. Finally they sided with me. What a bunch of BS.

Walmart isn't much better. I will order for ship to home. They will change to deliver from store, and then seldom expensive items make it to my doorstep - no doubt stolen by driver. One was stollen instead of picture of product near my door they take a picture of the ceiling. Another the picture was something in front of the camera - a grey blur.

The whole world of retail is nothing but scammers. Look at the theft out west. People think this is OK.

I also have a crazy story. My wife bought a very expensive textbook used - still very expensive - like maybe $150 instead of $300 or something - its been a while - from Amazon 3rd party. A USPS priority mail envelope arrived empty. Was as flat as a pancake. Looked at the envelope and it was sealed - so never anything in it. Disputed as it arrived empty but they said "see, here is the tracking number. Tried to explain it was empty, they said you lie. Amazon sided with seller.

Then lightbulb came on - looked at the postmark / postage - as registered at USPS. Showed I think 2 oz's. For a textbook Amazon's own site said weighed 5lbs or something. Sent the postmark and tracking information from USPS to Amazon. Finally they sided with me. What a bunch of BS.

Walmart isn't much better. I will order for ship to home. They will change to deliver from store, and then seldom expensive items make it to my doorstep - no doubt stolen by driver. One was stollen instead of picture of product near my door they take a picture of the ceiling. Another the picture was something in front of the camera - a grey blur.

The whole world of retail is nothing but scammers. Look at the theft out west. People think this is OK.
That was smart thinking on your part! I only got ripped off once from memory, a golf club on ebay probably in 2005. I waited too long to complain as the seller said he'd make good. I was relatively new to eBay and didn't want to slam him. Live and learn. I got a club snapped in half yet box showed no damage.

So, the merchant delivers the product. You admit that.

But you call up and claim that it was not delivered. You admit in your post that it was delivered. The merchant did, in fact, do what you paid them to do.

And you think this is a good way to get your money back because the person to whom you gave the product has “wronged“ you?

You knew you were lying and you were lying for financial gain.

That‘s fraud.
Welcome to my world.
It happens to me weekly...
I blame Amazon amongst others for letting people get away with it which emboldens them to try it everywhere.

Often payment services like PayPal reinforce this foolishness as the merchant is wrong first until they prove otherwise.

I don't need to read anything to know this. I haven't been cancelled, rather I seem to get refunds between the time I drop a return off and it's scanned at the UPS store and get back in my truck, versus the 2-4 business days that Amazon advertises will be the time I see the refund.

I can only imagine it's because I have a very high rating with Amazon based on the quantity of things I order, the annual amount of business we do with them and the number of annual returns, along with the dollar amount of returns, coupled with condition of product when it's received as a return.

It fits right in with the Chinese Social Scoring system if you ask me, but I don't blame Amazon one bit. I can't say I'd do it differently, heck, I would probably be even stricter about it.

I don't need to read anything to know this. I haven't been cancelled, rather I seem to get refunds between the time I drop a return off and it's scanned at the UPS store and get back in my truck, versus the 2-4 business days that Amazon advertises will be the time I see the refund.

I can only imagine it's because I have a very high rating with Amazon based on the quantity of things I order, the annual amount of business we do with them and the number of annual returns, along with the dollar amount of returns, coupled with condition of product when it's received as a return.

It fits right in with the Chinese Social Scoring system if you ask me, but I don't blame Amazon one bit. I can't say I'd do it differently, heck, I would probably be even stricter about it.
Look at Costco and their return policy? They are mega super duper successful and take anything and everything back. They also boast the lowest shrinkage in the industry, like 1/10 of others. I once returned a 46" TV, changed mind, never opened. BJs opened the box to make sure it was really a TV. broke the factory seal, and even undid all the packing. Now how much sense did that make? How much labor did it cost, and now the product can't be sold as new. Costco took back 3 y.o. Huggies Pull-ups that I found unopened in my basement. I see nothing wrong with it, it's their policy.

Back in the day, amazon did offer a credit for a price drop. That's the right thing to do. Then again, Costco does not credit anything, it's strictly return and refund, rebuy. This screwed me when I switched my pending purchase/install, from Bridgestone to Michelin under warranty i.e. wearout. When they redid the order for the Michelins, suddenly, my tires were not worn out! The tech even showed me on his gauge--3/32. Mgr overrode everything, but ironic. i.e I had paid for the Bridgestones less a warranty claim. Since it was not a credit, redoing everyting invalidated that there was any warranty claim at all!

btw I heard the same about amazon, but that's not consistent with free returns for any reason, which is what they say. I can say I'm returning the shoes, because my bread has mold on it. :ROFLMAO:
Costco will credit you the difference within 30 days if something you just purchased goes on sale.

Look at Costco and their return policy? They are mega super duper successful and take anything and everything back. They also boast the lowest shrinkage in the industry, like 1/10 of others. I once returned a 46" TV, changed mind, never opened. BJs opened the box to make sure it was really a TV. broke the factory seal, and even undid all the packing. Now how much sense did that make? How much labor did it cost, and now the product can't be sold as new. Costco took back 3 y.o. Huggies Pull-ups that I found unopened in my basement. I see nothing wrong with it, it's their policy.

I'm well aware of Costco's return policy. We are members and I don't hesitate to return stuff, but I'd say I make 2-4 returns a year. Last year the gist of it was about 12 of those POS Michelin wiper blades and a Memory foam pillow ($40) that I couldn't make work. Funny thing, when I got to the desk with the armfulls of wiper blades, the guy looked at me with them and said "those things are junk, aren't they?" He said he had bought a pile of them on sale also and returned the unused stack about 6 months later also.

But there's also the deal where a huge number of people buy stuff from Amazon, use it and return it. And Amazon knows it, they are trying to do something about it. I've heard of Costco cancelling some memberships because of heavy returns also. Don't think it doesn't happen.

Each return was preceded by an online discussion with Amazon plus with the selling vendor and BOTH asked for return, whereas that was not my ask

Also, with Prime shipments in the hundreds each month, sometimes in thousands, no worries about cancellation.

Back