Can i drink distilled water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Navy evaporators on the boat make water, do not know exactly how, but it tastes okay and they do have to run checks on it to ensure it is potable.

I still tastes like jet fuel, actually everything on the carrier tastes like jet fuel.

patriot.gif

"What a load of crap. And by the way, water from the river is usually relative soft water. Yes distilled water does aggressively pick up minerals from anything exposed to it. However your food and other beverages are laced with minerals. Even if you are drinking some of the hardest well water, the proportion of minerals coming from the water is small compared to the total in your diet. Search the net, and you can find any sort of nonsense you want. "

I believe we have found the "sort of nonsense" we wanted right here!! Sounds like many know just enough to be dangerous! Having great knowledge about one topic does not always mean this knowledge instantly flows toward others.

Here's one for you. I have two unopened gallons of distilled water in the garage. They are the same brand, purchassed at the same time, etc.. One is frozen solid, the other isn't frozen at all? What gives?
dunno.gif

I don't think I'd drink it based on that.

Soft Drinks, at least in the 100 or so bottling plants that I know do not use distilled water. They use filtered water.

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
Soft Drinks, at least in the 100 or so bottling plants that I know do not use distilled water. They use filtered water.

It's many times cheaper to filter water than it is to distill it.

The main reason for filtering soft drink water is to get strange tastes out of the water.

You want to put mineral free, or virtually so, water in a cooling system. A few trace chemicles that could be bad for human consumption won't hurt your engine. Filters for potable water remove chemicals, but usually do not remove minerals.

The water from Navy desalinisation has minerals and chlorine added, plus or minus JP5. I have a distiller in my crawl space that we used in our home for 15 years while in Maryland and Virginia. That counter-top model distilled 6 gallons per day and we used it for all of our fresh water needs because the local water was .....well, not so tasty.

We don't use it now because Colorado Springs water is "first use" water and is better tasting from the tap than most, if not all, bottled water IMHO.

The distilled water didn't kill us or cause us to grow a third arm. It was amazing to see the junk that was left over in the boiling side of the distiller. Pretty nasty.

Cheers, Doug

The big supermarkets sell distilled, so it couldn't be that bad.

Auto stores also sell De-ionized Water, which is different, which you shouldn't drink, and it says not fit for humans.

Okay, why does a antifreeze company know so much about heath risks of distilled water when the distilled water company know nothing? I would also jump on the legality issue of it being cheaper to print "DO NOT CONSUME" on the label than it is to take a chance of somebody drinking unfit, possible contaminated water.

This is similar to the expiration date on a bottle of medical oxygen. Keep in mind that this date has nothing to do with the hydrostatic test date of the bottle. Does oxygen go bad? Every legal medical drug, (yes, oxygen is considered a drug) be it a controlled substance or "over the counter", in the US is regulated by U.S.P. (United States Pharmacutical). They require an expiration date on all drugs. I think the shelf life of oxygen is somewhere around 2 years.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
I would also jump on the legality issue of it being cheaper to print "DO NOT CONSUME" on the label than it is to take a chance of somebody drinking unfit, possible contaminated water.

My SWAG is that by labeling it "Do not concume" they avoid dealing with at least a couple of bureaucracies.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
By law, there is a zero level for human consumption of anything that causes cancer.

offtopic.gif

Ain't it funny that you can't have formaldehyde or mercury in your food or drinking water, yet are injecting it into our kids.

I guess that it's not "consumption" in that case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are these particulate filters or reverse osmosis filters, which can make water 99.9% pure? Starting from scratch, all water is pure, or distilled. Percolate it through a couple hundred feet of bedrock and it bubbles to surface as hard well water. Why would it make a difference if we purified it and then poured in the magical ingredients it takes to turn it into Coke Classic? Of all the things I have to worry about, it sure wouldn't be that my cola is too pure and may leach minerals from my body. Let's just say that too much of anything (water,pop,beer) is bad for me. Back to the radiator. Put in distilled water. Any dissolved salts are going to contribute to scale. The anti-freeze you put in will combat the corrosion issue and provide pH balance. No acidity.
As for "Not For Human Consumption" there are stringent regulations to meet (Federal,Provincial,State) in order to sell drinking water. They probably didn't want the hassle. Ever hear of Walkerton, Ontario? People died due to lax adherance to regulations.

quote:

Distilled water, having no dissolved minerals, will aggressively try to dissolve any mineral it comes in contact with.

I'm glad that someone mentioned deionized water. Now this IS the stuff that leaches minerals out of whatever it comes in contact with. We use it in our boiler. Basically the water softeners take out the postive ions ..and the dealkylizers (a misnomer) remove the negitive ions. We naturally introduce the appropriate chemicals to further treat the boiler water.

If you have a leak of deionized water on concrete ....you'll have a hole there in a fairly short time. Apparently it provides a healthy medium for ion migration out of a variety of things.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

Distilled water, having no dissolved minerals, will aggressively try to dissolve any mineral it comes in contact with.

I'm glad that someone mentioned deionized water. Now this IS the stuff that leaches minerals out of whatever it comes in contact with. We use it in our boiler. Basically the water softeners take out the postive ions ..and the dealkylizers (a misnomer) remove the negitive ions. We naturally introduce the appropriate chemicals to further treat the boiler water.

If you have a leak of deionized water on concrete ....you'll have a hole there in a fairly short time. Apparently it provides a healthy medium for ion migration out of a variety of things.

wow interesting! kinda like acid..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back