Can I convert a battery powered razor to direct power?

So I am repairing this Norleco shaver and trying to see if I can convert it directly to power, instead of a battery.It's similar to below model, charger is producing ~6V DC and rechargeable battery and DC motor are both 1.5V one.Is there a way I can convert whole circuit to direct charger output, instead of being a rechargeable one? Any advise or thoughts?

Somebody has some time on their hands huh.

No, a battery charger output won't work because they don't put out the immediate load Amps necessary to run the electric motor in the shaver.

So I am repairing this Norleco shaver and trying to see if I can convert it directly to power, instead of a battery.It's similar to below model, charger is producing ~6V DC and rechargeable battery and DC motor are both 1.5V one.Is there a way I can convert whole circuit to direct charger output, instead of being a rechargeable one? Any advise or thoughts?
Welcome .. odd first post..
Now please dont spam us with links on where to get shavers repaired :ROFLMAO:

Welcome .. odd first post..
Now please dont spam us with links on where to get shavers repaired :ROFLMAO:

Is it even worth it? I bought my last one for $40 on sale (it was $80 regular priced). Really good price given that the replacement blades themselves are $35.

As for the OP, I'll just assume it was an honest question. The output of all their current adapters are 15V/360A (9W) and have been for at least a couple of decades. For whatever reason, the current versions will only operate off of battery power and won't work when plugged in and charging. I have a few older models that can operate off of the same power adapters and they can operate while powered externally. As in literally run down the battery until it stops running, and then plug it in and it's working again immediately.

Somebody has some time on their hands huh.

No, a battery charger output won't work because they don't put out the immediate load Amps necessary to run the electric motor in the shaver.

There were older models (even ones using the current 15V power adapter) that could run solely on external power. But not the newer models. I'm not familiar with any time when they had 6V power adapter output. It's just 9W these days and it's whatever power provided can be converted to the voltage/current needed.

Yea..for sure

While they don't in current models, 9W is plenty of power to operate. I can do that with a dead battery on an old Philips-Norelco 7-Series shaver. For whatever reason, the latest models completely cut off operation when plugged in and can only run when disconnected.

While they don't in current models, 9W is plenty of power to operate. I can do that with a dead battery on an old Philips-Norelco 7-Series shaver. For whatever reason, the latest models completely cut off operation when plugged in and can only run when disconnected.
Whether the razor will work or not plugged in is related to its ability to be used wet. I don't know if it has changed to the default to not run when plugged in in the past few years. It used to be the lower end razors would run on the cord and the "Aquatec" and up models that could be used in the shower or tub would not, for obvious reasons.

Ed

Whether the razor will work or not plugged in is related to its ability to be used wet. I don't know if it has changed to the default to not run when plugged in in the past few years. It used to be the lower end razors would run on the cord and the "Aquatec" and up models that could be used in the shower or tub would not, for obvious reasons.

Ed

My latest is a Series 5000. It's works with the power adapter from one I bought over 15 years ago, although the current one says HQ8500 while the older one says 8500X. But they're both 15V/300mA with the same plug style so I'm pretty sure they're interchangeable.

I don't believe they recommend using mine in the shower. But it could just be the way they control it now.

6VDC adapter on a 1.5V motor....assuming the adapter can put out enough current, you'd need to step down that voltage. Depends on how complex the internal electronics circuit is...you could use an LM317 as a simple linear voltage regulator to get the right voltage to the motor then direct wire it to the existing switch.

I've repaired a shaver that has become unusable due to a bad battery and IMO it was easier to just solder on a new battery. If it's a 1.5v motor, I'm guessing it may use a 1.2v Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh cell of which you can easily replace.

Back