California flood cars.

Eyes wide open!

I saw a 2008 GX 470 95k miles, salvage flood, sell at Copart Martinez location for 13k last Thursday.

People want cars with California history and will pay a premium for them. I know I will.

I returned my niece's Odyssey today; we drove through the Capitola Village and the wharf. There are shops and restaurants at the end of the wharf.
Much of the sand have been pulled back into the ocean.
3unpxAVZrtacavSuhbL0qPagak-EtJ9gPm4fiy8KnEe79CPKvUjauSaDjSkiw4HdqVAVhkp-Y-YHQy6zfTrKAF7yOwfjzKYohgMPBfOY7hiqECVjkxQ_8yTsZuDzRhZpS0C5QY8Nj0VYp_bSMc3Hx0vT7JwYSbjlaHjx0vNvAFkbjy07sO-hPnXY2w7wygzq8PIF8Zo9ZpZnh967KMsp_JYAwebEA2CLJl7Jq4w--w5sWaYby73vKB9Glm5dUth-EMDPSdAYaRd402WAiqbGH2SQtG5zFZUAu1tLq3WDvvBmLv0DEVeI87aLYY1csPll6AXYI3eo2hGA9i67zlhX7waS3oE2n6W_iYe0bQ9pUgRlP5BNyXZASOX9VAMvhf8WzwLs4qpmA2yNAQGAWUvDgUCxbt7m2owcxhpZ2kVTOmvcU3IoOMsnNUzl76gMk_p0DWyXwW_P7cd0X1mmrGb6hEdaMZU9JyUvELOxDvxDmkOikPkLz3w5BkHLqs2FZPSJ5sXCOUBjgWd6A15gDAvZOPRhbHjJJTMT2LkHC5mDDeb57BCDadxADx0L3oJ7GBnR5UsnjUTYtd8YEFrtiv1q8wJlykeI-34qSDMkD3nOwHkisACmBprUapDKKN4nEIhb9TG-Nfg6BqVStHCXlhPHthK2STIhbSorZoPwqmL8MsCqCoZaC7UXX9m9vT6Nz1IRPIwxs74J6M6n3PxsnnsB-1uxKULE83qkeJVplk91jkuRmXVZpOQSE6gp3DPhvSo0_49Lxx4ytNni8ttYc9JUmhRT2Ofli_DFEXmhCbRIW3Pk2t-huegaUqI8ZV-M5s7QDVwKcaomiVy4ivAJ0LGpZVQvocj0us25vcBp8P4f2j7eVF8TybgwKIJmYsJjMLceg_4iRuq7iLrXKYyM9PySsD57b2IFB1HwzSyNF4snYUA0pUFQ=w671-h893-no

Before the storm:
Capitola_2009_Pier1-770x480.jpg

Funny the article doesn't say anything about the NY flood cars.

CA does not have a water brand, so the safest way to keep them off the road is to brand them "non-repairable" ... that's pretty hard to wash a title on.

My Mercedes convertible had 4ft of water in it from Ian. Insurance company totaled it and gave me a very fair payoff. Copart towed it off before I could see it. I searched the vin recently and found it for sale by Copart. They had ten pics. You could see mold on the headrests and debris on top of the engine. Water had been up to the top of the car. My dog seat and nice golf jacket was in the backseat. I had assumed they would crush it. I don’t even know what parts might still be good. My neighbor who first opened the car had to run from the fumes inside.

How do you identify the cars that did not have full coverage and ended up being sold to junk yards or small dealers without ever having the titles marked.

I returned my niece's Odyssey today; we drove through the Capitola Village and the wharf. There are shops and restaurants at the end of the wharf.
Much of the sand have been pulled back into the ocean.
3unpxAVZrtacavSuhbL0qPagak-EtJ9gPm4fiy8KnEe79CPKvUjauSaDjSkiw4HdqVAVhkp-Y-YHQy6zfTrKAF7yOwfjzKYohgMPBfOY7hiqECVjkxQ_8yTsZuDzRhZpS0C5QY8Nj0VYp_bSMc3Hx0vT7JwYSbjlaHjx0vNvAFkbjy07sO-hPnXY2w7wygzq8PIF8Zo9ZpZnh967KMsp_JYAwebEA2CLJl7Jq4w--w5sWaYby73vKB9Glm5dUth-EMDPSdAYaRd402WAiqbGH2SQtG5zFZUAu1tLq3WDvvBmLv0DEVeI87aLYY1csPll6AXYI3eo2hGA9i67zlhX7waS3oE2n6W_iYe0bQ9pUgRlP5BNyXZASOX9VAMvhf8WzwLs4qpmA2yNAQGAWUvDgUCxbt7m2owcxhpZ2kVTOmvcU3IoOMsnNUzl76gMk_p0DWyXwW_P7cd0X1mmrGb6hEdaMZU9JyUvELOxDvxDmkOikPkLz3w5BkHLqs2FZPSJ5sXCOUBjgWd6A15gDAvZOPRhbHjJJTMT2LkHC5mDDeb57BCDadxADx0L3oJ7GBnR5UsnjUTYtd8YEFrtiv1q8wJlykeI-34qSDMkD3nOwHkisACmBprUapDKKN4nEIhb9TG-Nfg6BqVStHCXlhPHthK2STIhbSorZoPwqmL8MsCqCoZaC7UXX9m9vT6Nz1IRPIwxs74J6M6n3PxsnnsB-1uxKULE83qkeJVplk91jkuRmXVZpOQSE6gp3DPhvSo0_49Lxx4ytNni8ttYc9JUmhRT2Ofli_DFEXmhCbRIW3Pk2t-huegaUqI8ZV-M5s7QDVwKcaomiVy4ivAJ0LGpZVQvocj0us25vcBp8P4f2j7eVF8TybgwKIJmYsJjMLceg_4iRuq7iLrXKYyM9PySsD57b2IFB1HwzSyNF4snYUA0pUFQ=w671-h893-no

Before the storm:
Capitola_2009_Pier1-770x480.jpg

That wharf looked pretty old to start with. Hopefully the rest of the structure is not affected.

Here up north we don’t build stuff like that. It would get wiped out regularly. We do have have plenty of places on the shoreline but our rocky shoreline will hold up better versus a sandy one. We also have rock reefs up and down the coast which tends to take some power out of the big swells. Still, that doesn’t prevent flooding.

Last edited:
Not California flood cars, but I've noticed a new trend of Illinois GM dealers selling vehicles with California lemon titles. Seen it at 3 different dealers in the past month.

Uhhh... if they're *that* desperate for used vehicles... Will a bank even offer full financing on a vehicle with a branded title? Do they check?

Here's one:

I had a lemon lawed Cherokee I bought from a Jeep dealer here in WI. Got normal good financing on it (was a year old with 5k miles so got the same rate I would've on anything else). They do check. And some dealers won't touch them. When I went to sell it, I took it to another local Jeep dealer and they said they'd give me $3k for it but would send it right to auction and they don't sell branded titles. Sold it private party for $15k, the couple that bought it financed it through a local credit union (2015, sold it last year so 7 years old with like 80k miles).

Good for sheetmetal maybe, but that's about all. No doubt some people will try to sell them.
Eventually they'll erupt in mold and/or the electronics will crap out.

Looks like a fluff article that assumes people are stupid. Didn't think Yahoo was even around anymore. A check of the history report and a look at the title will weed out 95% of these cars.

People want cars with California history and will pay a premium for them. I know I will.
If you’re someone like I Do Cars(Import-a-Part) or a racer(as long as it’s not 24 Hours of LeMons with a hard $500 limit, else it’s a penalty laps for the amount of overages), a flooded car doesn’t need much to be raced provided the electronics can be saved.

Reactions: GON
My Mercedes convertible had 4ft of water in it from Ian. Insurance company totaled it and gave me a very fair payoff. Copart towed it off before I could see it. I searched the vin recently and found it for sale by Copart. They had ten pics. You could see mold on the headrests and debris on top of the engine. Water had been up to the top of the car. My dog seat and nice golf jacket was in the backseat. I had assumed they would crush it. I don’t even know what parts might still be good. My neighbor who first opened the car had to run from the fumes inside.
Look up the Article and accompanying story on PBS from Hurricane Ida in New York in 2021. A PBS reporter was emailed by a mechanic in Tajikistan. He asked why a one-year-old 7k mile Lexus RX350 was considered "salvage " in the USA. He considered it a nice vehicle that ran, needed fluids changed but had no issues. A friend of his purchased it from Copart for 38 grand and threw in a few grand for shipping. Import taxes, and new vehicle taxes in a lot of middle Eastern countries are ridiculous. A "salvage" vehicles end up overseas as slightly used.

Look up the Article and accompanying story on PBS from Hurricane Ida in New York in 2021. A PBS reporter was emailed by a mechanic in Tajikistan. He asked why a one-year-old 7k mile Lexus RX350 was considered "salvage " in the USA. He considered it a nice vehicle that ran, needed fluids changed but had no issues. A friend of his purchased it from Copart for 38 grand and threw in a few grand for shipping. Import taxes, and new vehicle taxes in a lot of middle Eastern countries are ridiculous. A "salvage" vehicles end up overseas as slightly used.
Think about any country that ends in "stan" and you know why a flooded American vehicle is nice.

Back