bypass filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I've looked all over here and seen discussion on how well bypass filters work and what they do, but the doesn't seem to be any preferences or actual numbers.

The toilet paper filters sound interesting, but I can seem to find any that are easily obtainable. The Amsoil bypass filter setup seems like the initial cost wouldn't be much more, but the filter is obviously more expensive. Are there other manufacturers or bypass systems? How well do they work? Are they easy to get?

do an internet search for bypass filters off the top of my head there's gulf coast ,amsoil,harvard,racor,oil guard and others

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
do an internet search for bypass filters off the top of my head there's gulf coast ,amsoil,harvard,racor,oil guard and others

Oil Guard told me that they supply their filter to Racor...identical filter assembly and element.

Ken

The initial cost of a bypass filter doesn't mean much. I have a 1971 model Motor Guard submicronic on my Legacy that I paid about $30.00 for. It has saved me a fortune.
All of the toilet paper filter companies have gone to their own elements. I set up the Motor Guard M-30 and M-60 to use good old janitorial supply toilet paper. The Motor Guard is a compressing type filter. It compresses the element and seals it at both ends. That gives it an advantage when you are filtering fuel or compressed air. Probably not that important for lube oil or ATF. For fuel you don't have a second pass.
The Perma-Cool.com sandwich adapter works perfect with the Motor Guard. I had to adapt the sandwich adapter to fit the little filters like on my Camry 4 cylinder which has the 2 1/2 OD gasket instead of the more common 2 3/4 OD gasket. I had to adapt a universal adapter to fit the Duramax Allison automatic transmission. I'm big on sandwich adapters. I use them whenever I can.
The quality of the Motor Guard is very high. They are the least messy to change of any I have found. The only filters that can clean as good as the Motor Guard would be the Frantz and Gulf Coast 0-1 jr and a few others that I haven't heard mentioned on these forums and have expensive elements. Motor Guard has always claimed to filter down to 1/100th of one micron. I know they can remove lamp black on the first pass. I have no way of measuring lamp black. I've heard that some of it averages 1/20th of one micron. Cigarette smoke is about 1/10th of one micron.

Ralph
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
The Amsoil bypass filter setup seems like the initial cost wouldn't be much more, but the filter is obviously more expensive.

The filters by themselves are like $20-$26 depending on the size. I have the BE110 on my truck and it has not been changed for going on 2 years. I'll probably put a new one on this summer. So $26 for 2 years and no hassle of changing a filter all the time is good for me. Besides the replacement oil is more expensive than the filter when you look that my by-pass filter is 2 quarts and the oil is $7 a quart(I'm using the Series 2000)

As far as the mount goes. The basic BMK11 which is the by-pass only setup is like $125 at the preferred customer program. That includes the hoses and fittings, and the mount. Add a Filter in for $20 and your looking at $150 your first year. Then about $20 thereafter.

Of coarse the DualRemote is a little more, but if you keep it long enough, the price is of little concern.

I recently removed from service two Amsoil bypass units (older BP80A's; made by Permacool),from GF's gasser and my Isuzu turbodiesel. GF decided BP not cost effective, rather spend $$ on more SS7k and I "agreed" (her money, my experiment). For the diesel I looked at the total cost (freight+prefered Cust dues) of 4 more BE-100's and decided to try Ralph's M-30. I looked at this option briefly 2yr ago before deciding on the Amsoil unit and now wish I'd looked harder. Replacement cost for element $0.72, time to change less than a minute, ease of change (mess) is minor if unit is installed to feed from bottom (Ralph's tip) and certainly no worse than changing most FF filters or draining oil!! And if restrictor orifice size is a concern it's a snap to change. I don't have "hard" evidence of comparable effectiveness yet, sorry, as I'm in the middle of a cleaning regime,BUT the visual results are (no pun intended) clearly superior! Tom

My GF was at WalMart last night and told me she saw a TP oil filter. She thought I was nuts thinking about using TP as a filter on my truck until she saw this at WalMart. She said something about it coming with a roll of scott tissue.

I'm gonna have to take a trip to WalMart and find out exactly what she saw.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
My GF was at WalMart last night and told me she saw a TP oil filter. She thought I was nuts thinking about using TP as a filter on my truck until she saw this at WalMart. She said something about it coming with a roll of scott tissue.

I'm gonna have to take a trip to WalMart and find out exactly what she saw.

That's interesting. JC Whitney sold TP filters years ago. **** Cepek tires sold Motor Guards 30 years ago for off road use. BayMart and Grand Auto Parts sold them. They sold for about 30.00 35.00 years ago. They didn't sell well because most people thought oil was supposed to get dirty and be changed. BayMart was a Wal-Mart type store in the San Francisco bay area. Motor Guard is best known as a compressed air filter. The name didn't come from filtering compressed air. A guy in Minneapolis traded me a 1971 model M/100 Motor Guard for a new M-30. It was a great find. It was never used and had the installation instructions, hose and fittings. The M-100 was left over from a VW repair business he sold. He needed the M-30 for cleaning cooking oil before it is burned in his diesel car.

Ralph
burnout.gif

[ March 16, 2003, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: RalphPWood ]

medic, We must have similar GF's, mine told me I was nuts, "gonna have TP in the oil!!", I should've known better than to tell her. That's weird, a TP filter in Wallyworld, I need to get out more! Units are for sale, I'm not 'puter savy enough to deal with ebay, email me if interested. That's really strange, for WallyWorld, I've seen some offthewall rebuilt bargain stuff at Sam's club, but a TP filter?? You gotta go check that out. Tom

FYI, Now I feel like a dope. I went to WalMart yesterday and found nothing. I asked my GF where she saw this TP filter & told her I looked at WalMart up and down all of the isles and found nothing. She just started laughing. She was joking & I fell for it
pat.gif
. I should've wondered why she was wandering around the automotive section.

Anyway, don't go running off to WalMart for a TP bypass filter.

I used a Frantz (toilet paper) filter on a turbo Subaru from 86-94. http://www.wefilterit.com/index.htm

You can do a search on yahoo and find dealer sites that direct you back to this site with a dealer number.

I think there are three trends working against by-pass filters. First is the imporvements in engine technology that keeps oil cleaner longer. Second is the impovements in oil that help it to last longer. Third, is the way engine compartments are jam packed leaving little if any space to mount a by-pass.

The need for a by-pass and the likelyhood you'll find a place to mount it goes down. I would think it nice if the manufacturer would design a by-pass right into the vehicle and offer it as an option.

I started using the Frantz in 1963. When Motor Guard came out in 1966 I liked them better because they are easier to service. Clean oil is just as important now as it was in 1963. Back in the 60's oil sooted up fast and turned black. Oil these days gets dirty but it looks clean because of the lower soot content. It is very misleading. Transmission fluid usually looks very clean on the dipstick. Install a Frantz, Motor Guard or Gulf Coast and the white paper will turn grey.
I brought back the Motor Guard because it is my personal favorite. I like to use the Perma-Cool sandwich adapter. I have sandwich adapters for the little mounts now like my Camry 4. I also have one for the Duramax engine and ATF on the Duramax. I also like to clean the fuel.

Ralph
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by greencrew:
I used a Frantz (toilet paper) filter on a turbo Subaru from 86-94. http://www.wefilterit.com/index.htm

You can do a search on yahoo and find dealer sites that direct you back to this site with a dealer number.

I think there are three trends working against by-pass filters. First is the imporvements in engine technology that keeps oil cleaner longer. Second is the impovements in oil that help it to last longer. Third, is the way engine compartments are jam packed leaving little if any space to mount a by-pass.

The need for a by-pass and the likelyhood you'll find a place to mount it goes down. I would think it nice if the manufacturer would design a by-pass right into the vehicle and offer it as an option.

Yeah it would. But that would plummet new car sales becuase they wont break down!

therion, I don't know??? That is a common belief though. The other this is the average person would not understand it, and not know what to do with it.

I do think it would increase sales if people better understood what it can do to preserve the life and performace of their engine with simple maintenance. The rest of the car will still rust and wear out, but people just don't want to replace an engine at all.

quote:

Originally posted by greencrew:
therion, I don't know??? That is a common belief though. The other this is the average person would not understand it, and not know what to do with it.

I do think it would increase sales if people better understood what it can do to preserve the life and performace of their engine with simple maintenance. The rest of the car will still rust and wear out, but people just don't want to replace an engine at all.

Thats why you should wash and wax your car often. As well as go get a rust proofing done every year. You'll be rust free almost indefinately. My 2003 Audi has a 10 year rust protection, and 12 year corrosion warrenty.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back