Bypass filter not heating up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have like 7 TP bypass filters in service for the past several years, and am having a flow issue with one that has been working well until now.
On an auto engine, plumbed off a permacool sandwich plate (supply and return) my Motorguard MG30 TP filter is not heating up like it used to. After a 30 minute drive the case temperature was 120 deg F, where it would have normally been in the 185-195 deg range. Assuming it was clogged, I changed out the filter (there was oil in the filter). The new filter doesn't seem to heat up either.

Do sandwich plate adapters ever go bad in use? Is the full flow filter possibly related? If the full flow filter went into bypass, how would my setup be affected? How about if the full flow collapsed?

Thanks for any insight,

Your lead sinker (the plug) may have come loose. Your Permacool will, within its limitations, attempt to keep a 2psi differential across the bypass filter.

Your ff will have no effect on the performance of the sandwich adapter.

Pull down your ff filter and see if your lead sinker is there. It won't go anywhere. It would tend to warm the MG initially ...but eventually it would go cool as the oil will just go through the port too easily.

This happened when I drilled holes in the sandwich.

I finally got around to removing the sandwich plate. The sinker is in place, spring loaded, & looks as new. There was a very slight amount of oil around where the plate meets the engine, and the rubber gasket on the adapter is flat (almost flush with the adapter). Without any significant oil coming out there I don't think the flat gasket could be related.
I replaced the sandwich plate & filter and it's back to warming up like it should. The oil was just over 50k with 3k filter intervals, so I changed the oil for the first time in 3 years.
Thanks for your responses to my (numerous) questions! On another installation where I had to drill the sandwich plate everything is working fine.

I have no idea, but the filter was definetly not heating up before I replaced the full flow and sandwich plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back