BYD going up market.

So BYD (Warren Buffet is a big shareholder) currently outsells Tesla at a margin of 5:1 in China and they plan to export 400,000 vehicles this year. Unfortunately we obviously won't see an affordable model on US shores under the current regulatory climate but perhaps we'll see some six-figure supercars.

So BYD (Warren Buffet is a big shareholder) currently outsells Tesla at a margin of 5:1 in China and they plan to export 400,000 vehicles this year. Unfortunately we obviously won't see an affordable model on US shores under the current regulatory climate but perhaps we'll see some six-figure supercars.

Isnt their government reeling in ev growth targets both domestically and internationally due to unfair price competition?

I just don't think I can drive a car that says Build Your Dreams in big letters across the back of it.

They don't really need that. I've actually bought some BYD stuff. Around the time of COVID they went into production of various stuff like hand sanitizer and face masks. I saw some of that sold at Costco and even bought some.

I've been on some of their EV buses, which have final assembly in the United States.

I have ridden in (gas) Chinese cars in Brasil and not impressed with them.
They are all over South America in great numbers. And I didn't see any broken down on the side of the roads. Inspected a "Chery" model in a mall in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.Very impressed with interior materials and fit and finish. Can't speak to anything else.

Last edited:

Seen one on the streets a few weeks ago. Didn't know what it was but recognised it in the BYD showroom near Brussels later

Perhaps, well, probably but how do you quantify a subsidy which is "fair" vs "unfair"? In any case, there's no free lunch as it were so someone is paying in some fashion.
Terrible aggregator source, but nonetheless. a couple years, the subsidy coupled with crazy loopholes allowed everyone and anyone to capture free money as long as their vehicle qualified as a vehicle and happened to use a battery. Once their gov cracked down, plenty of ev mfgs closed up shop or were absorbed into bigger mfgs, and there were those ev junkuard pics of brand new vehicles waiting for an owner or crusher.

Says the guy 5 Japanese cars in his signature :whistle:
Fair enough. The RX was made in Canada, the Honda in Ohio, the TSX was in Japan, the Tundra in Texas, Lexus in Japan.
If America made a better vehicle than each of these, I would strongly consider it. Japan is an ally; China is not.

I have 3 vehicles made in the Fremont plant; 1965 4-4-2 (GM), 1993 Toyota PU (NUMMI) and 2018 Tesla Model 3 (Tesla).

BYD has been around, building a lot of crude vehicles that has about average reputation and quality. It is not going to be a Toyota or Lexus, or Mercedes or BMW for sure. I do think their strength is the ability to pull of what a typical Chinese company cannot for their tech level. They were building chargers, buses, taxis, etc and not losing (or losing too much) money unlike many other tech startups.

Will we buy it in the US? Probably not anytime soon, but they would likely be a serious competition to Hyundai and Mitsubishi around the world. Staying afloat building EVs in iteration after iteration is itself an accomplishment.

BYD has been around, building a lot of crude vehicles that has about average reputation and quality. It is not going to be a Toyota or Lexus, or Mercedes or BMW for sure. I do think their strength is the ability to pull of what a typical Chinese company cannot for their tech level. They were building chargers, buses, taxis, etc and not losing (or losing too much) money unlike many other tech startups.

Will we buy it in the US? Probably not anytime soon, but they would likely be a serious competition to Hyundai and Mitsubishi around the world. Staying afloat building EVs in iteration after iteration is itself an accomplishment.

Their EV buses have been around for a while, although their performance has been mixed. I don't know what's up with the still image, because this video clearly shows them riding in a BYD EV bus.

BYD already tried to sell vehicles here and has failed.

Owning an old Chinese EV, I can easily say Americans will not tolerate the reliability and constant maintenance that Chinese vehicles bring.

Everyone I’ve encountered is as bad as a 70’s fiat in terms of rust out.

BYD already tried to sell vehicles here and has failed.

Owning an old Chinese EV, I can easily say Americans will not tolerate the reliability and constant maintenance that Chinese vehicles bring.

Everyone I’ve encountered is as bad as a 70’s fiat in terms of rust out.
there are alot of byd cars that catches fire, and even exploding on YouTube 😁

Back