By-Pass and Oil Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your indicated pressures and quick build up of oil pressure seem fine.

However, you need to be certain that you are measuring the oil pressure AFTER the filter assembly, and are not measuring the pressure between the feed from your oil pump to the filter assembly. You want to know what the oil pressure is as it goes to your engine's main bearings, not what the inlet pressure to any filter is.

It would be interesting to know what the pressures are with just your original full flow filter in place (i.e., without the adapter plate and Amsoil assembly connected).

needtoknow,

I have the EXACT same setup on my 03 Maruader.
wink.gif
I installed a REAL oil pressure gauge, and found my pressures reflecting what others without by-pass filtration were getting. (actually a little better, which I attibute to using S2K 0W30).

Did you get the oil sampling petcock? I just ordered mine. I've got 4000 mi. on the oil right now. I'm going to wait until at least 8000 mi. to take a sample.

I do have some start-up noise, which I attibute to having the unit higher than the stock filter location. I've ordered and will be installing a check valve on the line to the filters as close to the adaptor as possible. The cracking pressure on the CV is .25psi, and seals at .5psi. It is an Earls Plumbing check valve. I think this will keep the oil from siphoning back to the sump. We'll see.

Good luck.

I have read a couple of posts on possible oil pressure problems with Amsoil By-pass filters. As reference here's my specs after just installing a proper oil pressure gauge on an 03 Ford Ranger 3.0 liter V6 with the BMK-13 Amsoil By-pass, a BE-90 by-pass filter and SDF-15 Amsoil filter and 0W-30 Ser2K Amsoil.

60F 1000rpm = 50psi 3K rpm = 52psi
Hot engine Idle = 24psi 3K rpm = 49psi
32F 1000rpm = 50psi 3K rpm = ?
I did not have guts to rev to 3000rpm on cold engine at 32F. Best specs I have been able to get is factory Oil Pressure between 40-60psi. One spec I saw gave pressure at 55psi at 6000rpm. Don't know who goes to 6K to check oil pressure but my 50psi at 3K looks good. The gauge sender on this engine is located PS at top rear, opposite side of filter mount. Pressure builds within 1-2 secs on start. All seems just fine with the BMK-13 and it does not seem to restrict oil flow at all! Not much difference with start-up pressure and temp? Guess it could be the oil?? Although I have never tested any other oil in this vehicle yet.

[ February 22, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: needtoknow ]

Mangusta, the gauge sender is located in the OEM provided port. I have "T'd" the stock sender with the new one. I don't have an engine oil path diagram so I can only assume that due to the location of the sender it is measuring pressure after the oil filter. I am planning on removing the by-pass setup at 6 month interval and reinstalling the stock filter. The reason is to see if the by-pass will have any effect on UOA results. Blackstone says no? I can also see what the pressure is like then. From all I've been able to see from searches the oil pressure is within Ford spec.

1 Bad, I did not have room to install the petcock as I had to install the unit just behind the front bumper DS. I will have to order the dipstick suction device to do my UOA's. Did the check valve mfg'r give any pressure drop info for the valve? You may see a slight drop if the gauge can pick it up. You can oversize the valve to reduce PD. If your filters are vertical mount all you will be doing with the check valve is preventing drain back from the hose. Careful on the direction of the valve. If I had found this site before installing my BMK-13 I would have installed a gauge fitting just before the unit. I then could have measured pressure before and after.

I would guess that you're measuring your pressure post-filter, due to the 24 psi reading at hot idle. The best way to check this is to take off the adapter, remove the oil pressure sending unit, pour some oil into the threaded hole of the oil pressure sending unit and see where it comes out. If the oil comes out of the center threaded tube for the filter, then it's being measured post-filter. If it comes out of the perimeter holes, then it's pre-filter.

I'm installing the BMK-13 on my car and I've decided to install an oil presssure sender where the sample petcock goes. That way I am certain that it is post-filter, and it's away from the vibrations of the engine.

We need actual, accurate pressure readings at both the oil pump outlet (oil filter inlet) and the oil filter outlet (engine inlet).

That is the only way to know the oil pressure really going to the engine and the pressure drop caused by the dual-bypass filter assembly.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back