Buying USA made

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Right. People will often express fondness for the good old days when every product was awesome and all made in the U.S.A. Now, it's all about getting as much stuff as cheaply as possible. If you can't make the price point manufacturing in the U.S. you go elsewhere. There are garbage products from China as well as excellent products just as there are both ends of the spectrum in the U.S.

BUT, you vote with your wallet and if the majority of people here really wanted more U.S. made stuff they would vote through their product selections and by contacting retailers and manufacturers to make their desires known.

So, my conclusion (mine, maybe not yours) is that most people don't care. They just want it CHEAP.

I've managed to buy my washing machine/dryer (speed queen) and coffee pot (commercial Bunn unit) recently made in USA with global parts of course. I was going to buy the consumer grade Bunn until I saw it was Made in China and the commercial grade stainless steel one which will be the last coffee pot I'll ever buy was only $100 more.

I also bought my under-sink 5 stage reverse osmosis water system (Apec) which is %100 made in USA. It was $50 more than the chinese competitor and had better specs and parts.

I really wanted to buy an Arien's snowblower since it's assembled in USA. The fact that they have chinese engines on them now made me sick. So I bought a Honda snowblower which is also foreign but I have comfort knowing that might be one of two snow blowers I ever buy again in my life.

Like others said I buy the best item for the price point...Many times it's a USA item if you know where to look. The big box store is almost never where you're going to find it. Every time I mention speed queen people look at me like I have 10 heads. I explain they can't get it at Lowe's or Home Depot and they seem turned off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kory
So I bought a Honda snowblower which is also foreign but I have comfort knowing that might be one of two snow blowers I ever buy again in my life.

Take heart. Your Honda snowblower, including the engine, was likely manufactured in North Carolina.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: Kory
So I bought a Honda snowblower which is also foreign but I have comfort knowing that might be one of two snow blowers I ever buy again in my life.

Take heart. Your Honda snowblower, including the engine, was likely manufactured in North Carolina.

I did look into that. The 2-stage HS928's were Made in Japan when I bought them and the GX engine was made in Thailand

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
The U6 is 9.8%. That's the one I look at.

Bingo....notice how the lame stream media NEVER, and I mean
NEVER EVER mentions this. I've been watching and reading that drivel for years (before I realized the con game) and until this day have never seen this mentioned.

Example.

Needed a couple of replacement gas can spouts, hate those glug-glug spouts on todays cans.

Menards have USA made repl. spouts, $9.99 each.
They also have Chinese made repl. spouts, $4.99.

Now take a wild guess which one I bought.

I just bought another bottle of Noodler's, Made in USA. Competitive pricing. I recommend Noodler's. It's "bulletproof" - or so they say, and I don't doubt it, Get your Noodler's today!

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

NEVER EVER mentions this. I've been watching and reading that drivel for years (before I realized the con game) and until this day have never seen this mentioned.

This number is measured by the number of people collecting unemployment benefits and DOES NOT include the people whose benefits have ran out and are still out of work.

No, the mainstream media never reports this. Obama has brought down unemployment guys.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

This number is measured by the number of people collecting unemployment benefits and DOES NOT include the people whose benefits have ran out and are still out of work.

No, the mainstream media never reports this. Obama has brought down unemployment guys.

No idea where you are in Indiana, but here in No. Indiana there are job's all over, and good paying ones too.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
No idea where you are in Indiana, but here in No. Indiana there are job's all over, and good paying ones too.

There remain a few areas in good economic spirits. My daughter in Austin Tx is in one. Thriving economy. If you're in one then good for you.

But the cold hard facts are we haven't seen work force participation numbers this bad in a very long time....

Last edited:
jcwit,

With very cheap gas and diesel..... the RV industry in your area is doing very good, which is great news.

Just remember when a new Walmart opens up, they get 5000 people applying. I saw on TV a new Chick-Fil-A restaurant opened in Miami, they got 2000 people applying.

Unemployment will drop to 2.5% just before the election.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

That is not correct. Collection of unemployment benefits has nothing to do with the labor statistics. It is survey data.

This is from the BLS web site.

Some people think that to get these figures on unemployment, the government uses the number of people collecting unemployment insurance (UI) benefits under state or federal government programs. But some people are still jobless when their benefits run out, and many more are not eligible at all or delay or never apply for benefits. So, quite clearly, UI information cannot be used as a source for complete information on the number of unemployed.

Other people think that the government counts every unemployed person each month. To do this, every home in the country would have to be contacted—just as in the population census every 10 years. This procedure would cost way too much and take far too long to produce the data. In addition, people would soon grow tired of having a census taker contact them every month, year after year, to ask about job-related activities.

Because unemployment insurance records relate only to people who have applied for such benefits, and since it is impractical to count every unemployed person each month, the government conducts a monthly survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940, when it began as a Work Projects Administration program. In 1942, the U.S. Census Bureau took over responsibility for the CPS. The survey has been expanded and modified several times since then. In 1994, for instance, the CPS underwent a major redesign in order to computerize the interview process as well as to obtain more comprehensive and relevant information.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I was looking for an outlet cover for a dryer , the big kind, at HD. There a box of nylon plastic covers with only one left, $1.99, Made in China. I moved down the aisle and saw some that were stainless steel, made in USA by Legrand, for $2.48. Plenty of those left. The SS ones are far nicer. When checking out I saw a contractor guy with a bunch of the outlets and China covers. My point, small effect as it has, is shop around a little and try to care.

I dont disagree with your thinking at all :eek:)
In this case though, I feel safer with a homeowner installing plastic outlet covers since they do not conduct electricity. (you would be surprised at what some people do during a simple task) *L*

This is from the BLS web site.

Some people think that to get these figures on unemployment, the government uses the number of people collecting unemployment insurance (UI) benefits under state or federal government programs. But some people are still jobless when their benefits run out, and many more are not eligible at all or delay or never apply for benefits. So, quite clearly, UI information cannot be used as a source for complete information on the number of unemployed.

Other people think that the government counts every unemployed person each month. To do this, every home in the country would have to be contacted—just as in the population census every 10 years. This procedure would cost way too much and take far too long to produce the data. In addition, people would soon grow tired of having a census taker contact them every month, year after year, to ask about job-related activities.

Because unemployment insurance records relate only to people who have applied for such benefits, and since it is impractical to count every unemployed person each month, the government conducts a monthly survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940, when it began as a Work Projects Administration program. In 1942, the U.S. Census Bureau took over responsibility for the CPS. The survey has been expanded and modified several times since then. In 1994, for instance, the CPS underwent a major redesign in order to computerize the interview process as well as to obtain more comprehensive and relevant information.

Thank you for the information, but I guess I still dont understand how they do the survey.

^NP. Think about it. How would the BLS been able to report anything close to an accurate number a few years ago when many peoples' benefits expired?

The survey is done like many others; political polls, consumer confidence, etc. A statistical sample size is calculated and then calls, emails, or in person interviews are conducted.

I DO have an issue with even the U6, though. U6 refers to underemployment as those working part time who want to work full time. I refer to myself as underemployed because, after losing my job in 2008, I took a 20% pay cut and am still not quite back up to the salary I was at eight years ago. So, in my opinion, the number of jobs created is not that meaningful a figure if thousands of high paying white collar jobs are lost and a million McJobs are created.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Trav
None, to me its a different country with a different set of rules than mainland China.

Those big wigs over in China are gonna disagree with you Trav. They insist that Taiwan belongs to China.

That's the tricky business.

There is Republic of China (Taiwan's official name) and there's People's Republic of China (Mainland), they were fighting civil war since before WWII and was in an unofficial cease fire since the 70s that technically could restart anytime if one side went nut.

Both sides claim they are the official and legitimate government of both the mainland and Taiwan the island, plus the Diaoyu island between Taiwan and Okinawa, and the shipping channel in South China Sea (yes Taiwan actually has made naval claim to that too), and Tibet. Taiwan the ROC actually claims to own the "Outer" Mongolia the country as well and accused mainland the PROC selling out sovereignty for military support from USSR.

In practice they are treating each other as legitimate government since the late 80s, and the only thing mainland (PROC) threaten to bomb Taiwan (ROC) for is if they go "independent" and became a separate island nation instead of claiming to be the legitimate government of the entire China region. The reason is that mainland believe ultimately the 2 sides will integrate back into 1 unless Taiwan decided to be independent. At the moment mainland do agree that it is unrealistic to merge and is buying time by postponing the talk to the next generation.

So yeah, claiming ownership and legitimacy means "no independence" rather than the ability to enforce control on each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back