Buying House on 1.1 Acres. Need Zero-Turn Lawnmower and Weedeater/Blower Recommendations.

The Husqvarna Z242F is looking pretty good.

Fabricated deck, Kawasaki engine, cast-iron blade spindles, quick disconnect garden hose port in the deck for wash-out, grass/leaf mulching or collecting capability, optional accessories including hitch, dump trailer, spreader, etc, armrests

And it has the best warranty I’ve seen - 3 years on everything.

Looks like they come in 42“, 48, and 54” deck widths, with the larger decks having higher-powered engines.

Im not 100% sure of the width of my back gate (I think it’s 4’). But I’m sure the 42” deck model would fit. And maybe be a bit more maneuverable. That way I wouldn’t need a separate mower for the fenced-in portion of the back yard, and wouldn’t have to worry about widening the gate.

I actually asked my realtor yesterday to contact the sellers agent and see if the seller would mind getting a measurement on that gate, so I’d know for sure. Haven’t heard back yet, and who knows if I even will.

Im seeing it listed for $3299 at a dealer here in Nashville.

So, a starting point for comparison.

I know I’d mentioned that I’d consider a walk-behind, but then I got to thinking that having the capability for a hitch, dump trailer, spreader, etc, might come in handy having an acre of land.

Last edited:
The Husqvarna Z242F is looking pretty good.

Fabricated deck, Kawasaki engine, cast-iron blade spindles, quick disconnect garden hose port in the deck for wash-out, grass/leaf mulching or collecting capability, optional accessories including hitch, dump trailer, spreader, etc, armrests

And it has the best warranty I’ve seen - 3 years on everything.

Looks like they come in 42“, 48, and 54” deck widths, with the larger decks having higher-powered engines.

Im not 100% sure of the width of my back gate (I think it’s 4’). But I’m sure the 42” deck model would fit. And maybe be a bit more maneuverable. That way I wouldn’t need a separate mower for the fenced-in portion of the back yard, and wouldn’t have to worry about widening the gate.

I actually asked my realtor yesterday to contact the sellers agent and see if the seller would mind getting a measurement on that gate, so I’d know for sure. Haven’t heard back yet, and who knows if I even will.

Im seeing it listed for $3299 at a dealer here in Nashville.

So, a starting point for comparison.

I know I’d mentioned that I’d consider a walk-behind, but then I got to thinking that having the capability for a hitch, dump trailer, spreader, etc, might come in handy having an acre of land.

I like those machines. The only thing is I wouldn't use the deck wash out port if you get a machine that has one. All it does is make the deck rust out faster. The reason the decks rust is from the moisture trapped between the grass and the deck of the mower. The wash port is the equivalent of spraying the mower deck with a garden hose, it will get some of the loose stuff off, but make the rest of the grass stuck under there even more wet. The best thing you can do is mow only dry grass, and at the end of the season scrape off any build up from under the deck before storage.

Yes, I would consider used. And, I am intrigued by the walk behind large mowers, because I like the idea of mowing the lawn and also being a work out. I just don’t want to spend more than 2-3 hours a week on the yard.

Am I right in my assumption that the walk behind versions would be better on my little slopes that are leading down into my front ditch?
Yes the walk behind would handle the slopes better. I like mine because if I want a workout I can walk, but if I need to get it done quickly I can just hook up the sulky and stand. You can't go wrong with a used Exmark, Scag, Ferris, any of the major brands. I'd stay away from Cub Cadet and some of the more homeowner grade machines. The Cub Cadets are getting better it seems, but like anything MTD they seem to be more about features than quality.

I get why people buy new machines with warranties, but there are great deals on barely used mowers out there. One of my customers just bought a newer Bobcat 48" walk behind with a V-Twin Kawasaki for a fraction of what they go for new. The engine has about 5 hours on it, the previous owner used it about 8 times to mow his tiny yard before moving to Florida.

Yes the walk behind would handle the slopes better. I like mine because if I want a workout I can walk, but if I need to get it done quickly I can just hook up the sulky and stand. You can't go wrong with a used Exmark, Scag, Ferris, any of the major brands. I'd stay away from Cub Cadet and some of the more homeowner grade machines. The Cub Cadets are getting better it seems, but like anything MTD they seem to be more about features than quality.

I get why people buy new machines with warranties, but there are great deals on barely used mowers out there. One of my customers just bought a newer Bobcat 48" walk behind with a V-Twin Kawasaki for a fraction of what they go for new. The engine has about 5 hours on it, the previous owner used it about 8 times to mow his tiny yard before moving to Florida.
Starting to lean towards a rider because of the added utility (trailer, spreader, etc).

Leaning towards new just because warranty, no idea how used mowers have been maintained or what kind of use they’ve been through.

I honestly think with something like that Husqvarna I posted, and only an acre, I’d be able to get 10-15 years out of it.

I have a friend who just called and told me he’s willing to give me his Bad Boy. Its in the same class as that Husqvarna. But it needs a new hydro unit (Maybe both, actually), and probably other work, too. By the time I did all that, I’d be into it for >$2000. No point when I can get a new one for just $1500 more.

I’ll add to the ariens ikon recommendation, which gains the fabricated deck on a ztr for under 3500. I have the cheapest ariens ztr made, the smaller “zoom” model. It’s a great machine. The weakness for me is learning the limits of a stamped deck. My yard has lots of exposed roots, and several that I’ve mowed have as well, and ive bent a couple. With that, the ariens is well built and straightforward to work on, and all metal. mine has the smaller 14.5 hp briggs and it hasn’t missed a beat. I’ve pulled aerators, drug fallen trees around, and a garden trailer, no issues. Also was able to change the oil in the drives via suction, which should add to the life of these lower cost drives. While I occasionally want to upgrade to a more industrial machine, at the end of the day this has been a sweet spot for features and value for me.

Starting to lean towards a rider because of the added utility (trailer, spreader, etc).

Leaning towards new just because warranty, no idea how used mowers have been maintained or what kind of use they’ve been through.

I honestly think with something like that Husqvarna I posted, and only an acre, I’d be able to get 10-15 years out of it.

I have a friend who just called and told me he’s willing to give me his Bad Boy. Its in the same class as that Husqvarna. But it needs a new hydro unit (Maybe both, actually), and probably other work, too. By the time I did all that, I’d be into it for >$2000. No point when I can get a new one for just $1500 more.

You will get more than 10 to 15 years out of whatever you are buying new. I have been mowing a little over a 1 acre property with a Cub Cadet LT1045 that is now on year 15 with a Kohler Courage Engine. I have over 900 Hours on this Machine.

1 Only Mow when it is dry
2 Blow the Machine off after each use
3 Check the oil before each use
4 Change the oil once a season

Number 3 is really important, since there will be times where you may need to add oil. Kawasakis seem to not need oil added, Briggs and Kohler are a different story.

OP, consider waiting a couple of months. Mowers drop significantly in price once the mowing season ends. Last year, I snagged a brand new Ferris ISX800 for $6300 online. They retail in my neck of the woods for $9400 plus tax.

In your price bracket, I’d consider an end of model year Ferris 400S. They have suspension, and after last season, the leftovers were selling in the $3400 range.
827A6EAD-E695-4C9A-8583-CFEB71CA8BAB.jpeg

F5FEB550-CA0D-4CEF-8FA7-62118D6F7BDD.jpeg

As for a reputable online dealer. I used Burno Power Sports out of Arkansas. I worked with a gentleman named Tyler; his communications were excellent, and he walked me through everything with ease. Bruno’s has free shipping within the lower 48 on any mower or tractor purchase. I’d highly recommend them. https://www.brunospowersports.com/

Yeah anything that needs a hydro isn't really worth it. I think that Husqvarna would serve you well, especially with the Kawasaki.

OP, consider waiting a couple of months. Mowers drop significantly in price once the mowing season ends. Last year, I snagged a brand new Ferris ISX800 for $6300 online. They retail in my neck of the woods for $9400 plus tax.

In your price bracket, I’d consider an end of model year Ferris 400S. They have suspension, and after last season, the leftovers were selling in the $3400 range.
View attachment 116073

View attachment 116074
As for a reputable online dealer. I used Burno Power Sports out of Arkansas. I worked with a gentleman named Tyler; his communications were excellent, and he walked me through everything with ease. Bruno’s has free shipping within the lower 48 on any mower or tractor purchase. I’d highly recommend them. https://www.brunospowersports.com/
That's a nice mower, but jeez $9400 is a lot for something that only has a 48" deck and a Briggs, even though I like those engines. It's crazy to me what new mowers go for. I see guys with landscaping businesses shelling out $10k+ for a mower, and after a year it is in the same condition pretty much as the 5 year old used mowers on the market for $2-3k.

A less popular ZTR brand is Wright, made in Maryland. I bought a Sentar 52 inch in 2011 that's still running strong in my son's landscaping business. The Kawasaki motor was sweet. It may be a brand you can find used. There are Wright dealers in Nashville, Hendersonville and Mt. Juliet.
Less popular? Not according to the commercial landscape trailers that I see. My 36 Stander is a 2000 model, built like a tank and runs like a top still.

View attachment 116073

View attachment 116074
I mow 10 Acres with a 2014 model IS700 61" ...it has been a great machine

No input on the mower as I have a Troy Bilt TB130 push mower. Takes me less than 4 minutes (3 minutes if I really hustle) to cut my grass.

Weed eater recommendation: I have an EFCO DS2200 S and that thing is a beast. Never heard of the brand before but when I was looking to buy a snow blower 4 years ago when we moved back up to MA they had the EFCO brand where I bought the Troy Bilt snow blower. Never had a problem with it and does what I need it too do

I get where you are at as I have been there. New house, 2 kids and another on the way. Lots going on and you don't want to be mowing the yard for 3 hours at a whack. So what I suggest in order from a cost point/productivity view is.......

#1, Hydro walk behind, 48 to 60" deck, must have a sulky. Best buy is a used commercial unit with say 1000-1300 hours. If you buy in the off season then looking at 1000-2000 bucks. Built like a tank. Will have a fabricated deck. Tough to kill. Will have the speed and power to mow the yard pretty quick. You can put a hitch on it and it will pull around a riding mower trailer so you can pick up sticks, branches, do landscape projects, plant flowers and trees, load up rocks, haul the trash to the curb, etc. Big plus is that the kids can ride in the trailer, have a lot of fun, and help Dad with the yard.

#2, Used ZTR, A good used, older commercial unit will cost the most but buy one that has around 1200-1500 hours. Plenty of life left in those! Likely it has been depreciated out so now it is being sold for quick cash. A 48 to 60" ZTR mower will do the same as the walk behind only faster. 3 to 4000 for it, likely less if you stand firm if you have cash and ask what the lowest price is that they will take because you have cash..... Be prepared to play the haggle game!!

#3, New ZTR from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Will last you at least 10 years. Get a minimum 48" deck, don't get a 42" because that size just won't get it done quick, period. You will have buyer's remorse from the 42 because you didn't spend another 800 bucks to get the bigger model. Not built like a commercial unit but you can make it work and it will do it. Only buy if you don't have the cash but you can purchase it for say 59- 69.00 a month for 5 years.

Please Note,

If you are looking at anything used, don't buy if the machine doesn't go in a straight line by itself. If you have to work the controls to keep it mowing straight then it has expensive problems and the owner want's to get rid of it because it is not cost effective to fix it.

Oil leaks from engine or hydro system. Don't buy especially if a Kawasaki or Kohler engine is involved. Hydro leaks are a no go because, trust me, that will cost big bux to fix.

If it starts and runs, doesn't smoke, cuts good and throws the grass, mower moves smooth with no loud whine and doesn't slow down after it is warm( mow with it for at least 15 minutes because a bad hydro will lose power as it warms up) then it is probably in good shape and will fit the bill for you!!

I want you to buy a good unit! Message me if you have questions about what you are looking at. I'm not selling you anything. You remind me of a time that I was at many years ago. I don't want to see you make a "bad" buy. I wish You and Your Family good health, happiness, and wonderful memories to be made in this new home!!!

I get where you are at as I have been there. New house, 2 kids and another on the way. Lots going on and you don't want to be mowing the yard for 3 hours at a whack. So what I suggest in order from a cost point/productivity view is.......

#1, Hydro walk behind, 48 to 60" deck, must have a sulky. Best buy is a used commercial unit with say 1000-1300 hours. If you buy in the off season then looking at 1000-2000 bucks. Built like a tank. Will have a fabricated deck. Tough to kill. Will have the speed and power to mow the yard pretty quick. You can put a hitch on it and it will pull around a riding mower trailer so you can pick up sticks, branches, do landscape projects, plant flowers and trees, load up rocks, haul the trash to the curb, etc. Big plus is that the kids can ride in the trailer, have a lot of fun, and help Dad with the yard.

#2, Used ZTR, A good used, older commercial unit will cost the most but buy one that has around 1200-1500 hours. Plenty of life left in those! Likely it has been depreciated out so now it is being sold for quick cash. A 48 to 60" ZTR mower will do the same as the walk behind only faster. 3 to 4000 for it, likely less if you stand firm if you have cash and ask what the lowest price is that they will take because you have cash..... Be prepared to play the haggle game!!

#3, New ZTR from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Will last you at least 10 years. Get a minimum 48" deck, don't get a 42" because that size just won't get it done quick, period. You will have buyer's remorse from the 42 because you didn't spend another 800 bucks to get the bigger model. Not built like a commercial unit but you can make it work and it will do it. Only buy if you don't have the cash but you can purchase it for say 59- 69.00 a month for 5 years.

Please Note,

If you are looking at anything used, don't buy if the machine doesn't go in a straight line by itself. If you have to work the controls to keep it mowing straight then it has expensive problems and the owner want's to get rid of it because it is not cost effective to fix it.

Oil leaks from engine or hydro system. Don't buy especially if a Kawasaki or Kohler engine is involved. Hydro leaks are a no go because, trust me, that will cost big bux to fix.

If it starts and runs, doesn't smoke, cuts good and throws the grass, mower moves smooth with no loud whine and doesn't slow down after it is warm( mow with it for at least 15 minutes because a bad hydro will lose power as it warms up) then it is probably in good shape and will fit the bill for you!!

I want you to buy a good unit! Message me if you have questions about what you are looking at. I'm not selling you anything. You remind me of a time that I was at many years ago. I don't want to see you make a "bad" buy. I wish You and Your Family good health, happiness, and wonderful memories to be made in this new home!!!
You have to be mechanically inclined to not get burned in the used commercial market, they don't unload them if they still make money. The average homeowner may not know what spindle bearings going out sounds like, might also think that a "hunting motor" is normal or might not realize the motor never gets to rated RPMs. That said, you pretty much can't hurt the old fixed deck Wright Standers or Ferris walk behinds with the 15 or 17HP FH series Kawasaki motors.

View attachment 116073

View attachment 116074

I also bought my Ferris from Tyler at Bruno’s. Saved me almost $3k compared to my local dealers when you figure tax into the equation.
Fortunately I never needed any warranty work so my local dealers didn’t blackball me. I did have to back it off a semi flatbed on two ramps in the rain as the driver didn’t know how to operate it.

I think the carburetor will stay cleaner for longer.
I run E10 in my snowblower and ZT because I’m not paying 93 octane prices for 87E0, and I don’t drain them. My snowblower sat since like February and I just fired it up on the first pull. Been doing that since 2020 when I bought it. I don’t let gas sit in the cans, the blower and ZT have gas caps that seal fairly well which may be why I haven’t had issues.

My Husqvarna weed whacker and poulan chainsaw get VP premix because I’m lazy and like the smell of the premix lol

The Ariens Ikon XD unit in 42" or 52" cut should work great for 1.1 acres as long as you opt for the Kawasaki engine. The 42" is currently out of stock at Lowes but may be available from a local outdoor power equipment dealer. Lowes may offer a 10% discount if you are military or a first responder. There are plenty of positive video reviews on YouTube.

Ariens IKON Zero Turn
Well, I was leaning towards the Husqvarna Z242F, but, then, I started looking at the Ariens Ikon XD 42", and it's a little bit more ($3699 MSRP vs. $3299 for the Husky).

But it seems to be built a little stouter, and has a little bit larger Kawasaki engine (44 cu in vs. 36 cu in), and, perhaps most importantly, has 3 blades instead of the 2 of the Husky. I think it also looks better, though that's obviously just an opinion/cosmetic concern.

Then I found out that the Ariens Co. owns Gravely, and the Gravely ZT XL 42 is essentially the same lawnmower, but has the ZT-2800 transaxle units, which are serviceable, and are described by Hydro-Gear (the OEM of the transaxles) as "the largest and most rugged residential transaxle we make". Basically the cheapest transaxle they make that's still serviceable.

I just got a quote for $5100 OTD for a Gravely ZT XL 42". Tempting to up my budget a bit to get the more robust transaxles of the Gravely. The Gravely would cost almost right at $1000 more than the Ariens.

And there's a Gravely dealer in the town where we're moving. I need to call and get a quote from them.

Well, I was leaning towards the Husqvarna Z242F, but, then, I started looking at the Ariens Ikon XD 42", and it's a little bit more ($3699 MSRP vs. $3299 for the Husky).

But it seems to be built a little stouter, and has a little bit larger Kawasaki engine (44 cu in vs. 36 cu in), and, perhaps most importantly, has 3 blades instead of the 2 of the Husky. I think it also looks better, though that's obviously just an opinion/cosmetic concern.

Then I found out that the Ariens Co. owns Gravely, and the Gravely ZT XL 42 is essentially the same lawnmower, but has the ZT-2800 transaxle units, which are serviceable, and are described by Hydro-Gear (the OEM of the transaxles) as "the largest and most rugged residential transaxle we make". Basically the cheapest transaxle they make that's still serviceable.

I just got a quote for $5100 OTD for a Gravely ZT XL 42". Tempting to up my budget a bit to get the more robust transaxles of the Gravely. The Gravely would cost almost right at $1000 more than the Ariens.

And there's a Gravely dealer in the town where we're moving. I need to call and get a quote from them.
And before you know it, you’re dropping 8k on a lawn mower. Look, this one has a much better seat, etc. Don’t laugh, I’ve seen it happen.

Back