Buying a used truck...do you pay NADA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Blaze
There are many later two wheel drive gas engines with VERY low miles extremely reasonable right now. I'm going that direction. I don't need a diesel for those crazy prices. I don't tow often and heavy enough to require one.

Trucks don't go for BELOW BOOK (generally) regardless of what fuel the motor uses......unless your looking for a 2WD REGULAR CAB THAT NOBODY BUT FLEET OWNERS WANT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blaze
Originally Posted By: CKN

Trucks don't go for BELOW BOOK (generally) regardless of what fuel the motor uses......unless your looking for a 2WD REGULAR CAB THAT NOBODY BUT FLEET OWNERS WANT.

This is the best deal I have found for what I need. https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-ford-250-2wd-10/6280443685.html

You found the next best truck nobody wants....a V10. The saying goes- a V10 will pass anything but a gas station.......

The Ford V10 isn't that bad on gas. Slightly lower than a GM 6.0 but it has a bit more pulling power. If someone isn't commuting with it won't make much of a difference. The Ford V10 is quite robust and i wouldn't mind owning one. I'm still biased to GM LS engines of course. You have to spend a around 20k on a newer GM 6 speed truck or a F150 5.0 before you see "good" MPG in a gas truck.

NADA is National Automobile Dealers Association
Why would you ever want them to tell you what to pay.

As a dealer my opinion is it's a price to get the highest money they can from the bank, and give them a way to hide the lack of a down payment while still making a lot.

Originally Posted By: dareo
The Ford V10 isn't that bad on gas. Slightly lower than a GM 6.0 but it has a bit more pulling power. If someone isn't commuting with it won't make much of a difference. The Ford V10 is quite robust and i wouldn't mind owning one. I'm still biased to GM LS engines of course. You have to spend a around 20k on a newer GM 6 speed truck or a F150 5.0 before you see "good" MPG in a gas truck.

You may want to check mpg figures for an Excursion with a V-10. The city mpg is horrible and the highway is 15 AT BEST.

You may want to check mpg figures for an Excursion with a V-10. The city mpg is horrible and the highway is 15 AT BEST.

Agreed! Good luck getting 11 combined from that 6.8L. I have seen several that would get 10 regardless.

I see V10 excursions on Fuelly getting 10 to 15 mpg. Plenty of people can get 15 mpg out of a V10 highway. I can get 16 mpg highway in my 6.0 2wd on pizza cutter tires. City is 10 mpg, computer average says 12.2. When you consider the strong torque the V10 has its really not that bad on gas. Sure a diesel is a lot more efficient but they cost a fortune to buy and maintain. Not sure you ever save any money at today's prices. Take a mid 2000s truck and the diesel model is double the price or more. I imagine city driving a V10 around will net you 8-10 mpg. Dodge V10s and Chevy 8.1L don't get any better. So i'm not sure what the point is to berate their economy when there is nothing comparable that is better. The LS based 6.0 is the most efficient HD gas V8 in the 2000s and its not very far ahead at all.

I see V10 excursions on Fuelly getting 10 to 15 mpg. Plenty of people can get 15 mpg out of a V10 highway. I can get 16 mpg highway in my 6.0 2wd on pizza cutter tires. City is 10 mpg, computer average says 12.2. When you consider the strong torque the V10 has its really not that bad on gas. Sure a diesel is a lot more efficient but they cost a fortune to buy and maintain. Not sure you ever save any money at today's prices. Take a mid 2000s truck and the diesel model is double the price or more. I imagine city driving a V10 around will net you 8-10 mpg. Dodge V10s and Chevy 8.1L don't get any better. So i'm not sure what the point is to berate their economy when there is nothing comparable that is better. The LS based 6.0 is the most efficient HD gas V8 in the 2000s and its not very far ahead at all.

The Internet is the worst place to get accurate mpg figures. Pick a brand forum-4Runner, Silverado-F150,etc. The millage claims are unbelievable-not even real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back