Buying a car serviced @ QuickLube for 100K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be fine with that. I'd only be worried about non OEM spec fluids like coolant or trans fluid not being used for top offs/service, but if it works well then I'd just change those once I bought it.

The only quick lube place that seems to get bad reviews on a consistent basis is Jiffy Lube. All of the other ones seem to be decent which would include Lube Stop, Valvoline, Castrol, etc. If a car was serviced by them then I'd probably skip it. But all the other ones mentioned I wouldn't be too concerned over as long as everything else checks out.

Most quick lubes use name brand oil like Pennzoil, Valvoline, or Castrol conventional.

My concerns would be:

1. The trans fluid, like mentioned above, since if that was changed they likely did not use Honda fluid.
2. The oil drain plug is likely stripped.

My friend bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee that had a stack of maintenance receipts from Jiffy lube. The engine was spotless inside (few pics on this site somewhere) but we had to replace the oil pan because the drain bolt threads in the pan were stripped beyond repair. Family friend's 2009 Escape was serviced at a quick lube before I started doing the maintenance, drain plug was stripped. My friend took his 2008 Civic to a quick lube for a few changes before I started doing it, drain plug was smoked on that one too. I sense a pattern.
mad.gif

Thank you for all the replies. I asked for him to bring the receipts tomorrow (if the car is not sold by then--but that's the earliest I can go see it). Sounds like the bigger concerns are the trans fluid and possible stripped oil pan bold which can cost a few hundred.

I work part time at a local lube shop. We have a few customers who have brought their cars in since new and now have over 400k on them with our bulk synthetic blend oils. All depends on regular maintenance and driving habits.

L8R,
Matt

Considering that four cylinder NA Hondas are not typically very demanding of their oil and that the OEM filter is a rock catcher, I'd be pleased to see that this Fit has had regular OCIs.
I'd not worry at all about oil and filter used.
These things aren't that picky about either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back