Buying a '70 Ford F100- Could use some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, here's the story:

Back in '07, my grandfather passed down his F100 to me. Skip ahead two years and due to financial hardship, I had to sell it. This was an extremely difficult thing to do, even more difficult to tell him about it.

Skip ahead to present day; I see the truck on Craiglist. BTW, the truck has a 390, C6 and is in overall good shape w/ no rust at all.

My dilemna: I really want to buy the truck back for sentimental reasons, but his price is a little high for me, although I can swing it. He's asking $3200 and I've got him down to $2300, which is his bottom dollar. The truck needs paint(got a buddy that can help
thumbsup2.gif
and tires(he left it in the sun
06.gif
). It also needs a few other odds and ends as well. However, the motor is good and I rebuilt the trans before I sold it. I also put on a nice dual Flowmaster exhaust system.

My gut is telling me to pull the trigger, but it's nice to hear what others have to say. I'm also thinking that $2300 isn't really a bad price all in all. It's not a perfect truck but does mean a lot to me. I also don't want to regret letting it go.

Here's a mediocre pic of the truck:

F100.jpg

Money aside; some things have a sentimental value to which no price tag can be affixed. If you want the truck--go for it!

One thing is for sure...if you do not get it, you may look back in a number of years and say..."I wish I would have..."

Buy it! In a few years $2300 will seem like a steal. Good thing about a 1970 anything in reasonable shape is that it's no longer depreciating. It can only appreciate!

You couldn't touch a 390 F-100 with a body in that condition for $2300 here.

67-72 Chevrolet C10s are even higher

I would jump on it. I bought back a 78 F-150 because it had belonged to my deceased brother. It was in horrible shape but the restoration has become a labor of love. I will pass it on to my nephew who is a gear head and was very close to his uncle, my brother. By the way, a good running 70 F100 that wasn't rusted to pieces would bring considerably more than $2300 here in the rainy south.

Originally Posted By: pidster
Dive on it before you have time to change your mind. You will forever regret it if you don't.

+1,000...'fate' is giving you a chance that won't happen very often.

Do it.

Yes my grandfather is still around, 84 years old.

The truck is mine!!!!!! Picked it up a few hours ago.

I'm floored right now.

Awesome! Im sure you would have regreted it if you didnt get it. Lets see some pics of that beauty! I love old Fords
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Good to hear you got it back, and $2300 is not bad at all. I'm curious how much you let it go for back in '07 if you don't mind saying.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Good to hear you got it back, and $2300 is not bad at all. I'm curious how much you let it go for back in '07 if you don't mind saying.

Not at all. Pretty cheap at $1500, but at the time I needed it gone. Plus, it was stumbling really bad and I couldn't figure out the issue, even after a carb rebuild.

I regretted it of course, and hoped that one day I could get it back. Admittedly, I didn't think it would happen. Then, I saw it on CL, and I thought, "you've got to be kidding".

Now she's sitting outside
grin2.gif

BTW, thanks all for words of encouragement. All of us being car guys, I knew you would understand.

Partial list of what I want to do:

-Paint
-Reupholster seat and paint match outside
-Misc odds and ends
-Couple of performance mods(headers, intake)

I don't think I'll paint it the same color. Probably black or fire engine red.

I like keeping the original color. I had a 78 F150 and it just overwhelmed me. Just never responded to care. What I wished I had done was use a low buck brake upgrade I found online in a Ford forum, I don't know if it would fit older Fords but I had brought the 78 F150 to all new o.e.m. brakes and still miserable performance. I do think if you don't go crazy you will have a vehicle that never drops in value and may go up a reasonable amount (not 911 or Cobra prices). And, being a family owned car is really great!Good luck!

I bet ya that old 390 would run real nice on a 10W-30 HDEO....

Would love to see some more pics.....and, oh, I wouldn't pain it a different colur - I'm digging that 1970's blue/turquois thing it's got going on!

First order of business would be to drive your grandfather around in it first. Those vibes will give you the direction of what to do with the truck next, if anything.
That color does look good in the desert, no?

Thanks for the comments folks. ChiTDI, I was thinking the same thing. As soon as he gets back from vacation, I need to drive it over there.

I'm on the fence about the color choice. I like the originality of the color, but I also think a fire engine red would look nice. I don't hate the color but it's not exactly great either.

It's nice to because my sister's boyfriend is great with body work. Him and I will do the body work and then I can take it to get sprayed.

First things first though; p/s pressure hose, tires, and an exhaust manifold leak.

I'm loving it though
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back