Busted control arm bolt. DIY or not?

Yeah I wish people would never use EZ-outs. On more delicate stuff where welding isn't practical you almost guarantee yourself wire EDM territory if you snap an extractor ‐‐ and they're VERY brittle.
A wire EDM needs a hole drilled or burned by a non wire EDM first to be able to string the wire. Bolt and tap extraction with an EDM is done most time with a thin carbon electrode. Either way the part has to be sitting up right normally for it to work, and keep the coolant on the action.

I really hope this problem doesn’t expose a web of disaster. I have a theory that someone tightened this thing with an impact wrench or something. By the way, there is no plastic covering. The picture shows the crossmember.

I’m taking this thing to a shop tomorrow.

I’m late to the party and agree with you. Take it to the shop. This would be aggravating in my personal attached garage as it is, and worse for apartment parking lot repair.

Good advice above to give the tech a leg up by pre-soaking with penetrating oil.

Yeah I wish people would never use EZ-outs. On more delicate stuff where welding isn't practical you almost guarantee yourself wire EDM territory if you snap an extractor ‐‐ and they're VERY brittle.

If progressive drilling with LH bits won't get it, it's unlikely a spiral flute extractor will, either.

This scenario is not delicate and I agree welding a nut is probably the first thing I'd do
There are plenty of easier ways to get a broken extractor out.

The only way I would try to get that out is weld a nut to the stud. The heat usually will loosen them up. I would weld with a 6010/11 rod to be sure the weld would bite into the stud. If it was still stubborn, I’d heat it up again with my induction heater. You made a wise decision letting someone with the knowledge and experience take this on.

Reactions: D60
The only way I would try to get that out is weld a nut to the stud. The heat usually will loosen them up. I would weld with a 6010/11 rod to be sure the weld would bite into the stud. If it was still stubborn, I’d heat it up again with my induction heater. You made a wise decision letting someone with the knowledge and experience take this on.
A bit OT - but how do you like your induction heater? Which model do you have?

Update: Worst case scenario news. The shop told me they are unable to remove the bolt, and that they broke TWO tools trying to get the bolt off.

What is this bolt hiding? What is going on here???

What should I do? I determined that the cross member can be removed to expose the bolt. Seems like a lot of work, but I don’t think the entire subframe needs to be lowered. Lowering just the cross member would give me a lot of access to the bolt.

The control arm bolt goes through this hole.

IMG_1787.jpeg

Update: Worst case scenario news. The shop told me they are unable to remove the bolt, and that they broke TWO tools trying to get the bolt off.

What is this bolt hiding? What is going on here???

What should I do? I determined that the cross member can be removed to expose the bolt. Seems like a lot of work, but I don’t think the entire subframe needs to be lowered. Lowering just the cross member would give me a lot of access to the bolt.

The control arm bolt goes through this hole.

View attachment 212269
What kind of tools? How did they attempt to remove it?

I determined that the cross member can be removed to expose the bolt
Find another cross member and have that swapped in. Probably less work.

Edit: just realized, the bolt might not anchor into that. If not, never mind.

If, according to the diagram above, the bolt is being held in place by the nut, couldn't the bolt be "hammered" out?

If, according to the diagram above, the bolt is being held in place by the nut, couldn't the bolt be "hammered" out?
I doubt think so. The bolt is threaded into a nut that is welded to the body of the car.

A previous Mechanic or even the factory cross threaded it. I do not know the reputation of your mechanic,their skill in dealing with this varies. Now you need to replace more parts or weld it and when it goes again, scrap it

If you're not having other symptoms, the vehicle drives fine and presently no parts need to be replaced which involve this bolt, weld it and deal with it later, if later ever comes. You're already talking about dropping the whole xmember, so what's the difference later??

Option 2 is call automotive machine shops. Not just wrench turners. They will likely be more patient with it and have a larger arsenal of solutions. If your first guy broke a Difficult-Out in there, they just made life much harder. They should have just kept stepping up with LH bits, but ideally you need to start out concentric. I've made jigs before to locate my pilot bits so they can't walk (assuming hand drills -- in a mill this is not really a concern)

Option 2.5 is drop the xmember and take it to a machine shop -- if they don't have a lift this will be easiest for them. But, depending upon labor involved it may just be better to swap in a whole 'nother xmember once this one is out. I'm not familiar with the exact application here

They attempted to remove the bolt, broke 2 tools then what? They just stopped and said they couldn't make the repair? You have the vehicle back now? That sounds unprofessional - they should atleast offer their idea of what to do next.

They attempted to remove the bolt, broke 2 tools then what? They just stopped and said they couldn't make the repair? You have the vehicle back now? That sounds unprofessional - they should atleast offer their idea of what to do next.
This. And shops need to make time but if I agree to a job and can't do it I usually don't charge, or just say $20 for consumables or something. Although to date I've always managed to extract broken fasteners or found a way around it even if it's the nuclear option of cut it all out and weld or re-tap or whatever

I make my life easier by never touching spiral flute extractors :D Everyone's mileage may vary but I just don't use them.

I think you're stuck dropping the cross member and getting up there to find out what is going on. Cross threaded, stripped, or is it worse, is that area somehow hiding other damage that we just don't see at this time.

They just told me the car is unsafe to drive. They still can’t fix it. 😳 this is not looking good.
It would still help to know what tools they broke and what they attempted to do in removing the bolt. I've welded a nut on a broken stud like that, and I can't recall a time when it didn't work. You might strip out the nut on the other end but the bolt will come out.

Is that what they did or just broke a drill and screw extractor? On a bolt this size with all that rust I wouldn't even try that.

Reactions: D60
Could it be a stud that is not threaded but some how welded to the unibody, and used to hold up that area of the sub frame?
If so that is a bit of major surgery to fix properly.

Back