Building a 12x16 shed - Screws vs nails

I have a personal pet peeve with Fastenmaster's "spider drive." No need to reinvent the wheel, and while Torx can be problematic it would be perfectly adequate for sinking into wood.

I'm just sick of different for the sake of different.

Rant over.

Square drive / Robertson are still my favorite. If the bit gets worn, I can touch up the tip on my bench grinder and get a couple hundred more screws driven.

I don't like using nails but I have a few pneumatic nailguns and a LOT of framing nail coils. When I build a shed this summer, I'm just going to use the pneumatic even though I really dislike nails.

Square drive / Robertson are still my favorite. If the bit gets worn, I can touch up the tip on my bench grinder and get a couple hundred more screws driven.
That's thrift! I like Robertson also but I'm drowning in #2 and #3 bits. I buy 'em in packs on clearance/deals and just scrap them when they act up ;)

I was raised by a dad that lived through the depression and was a machinist. We always fixed whatever we could and saved whatever we could. It’s a hard habit to break and I learned to use everything we had on hand. Pa even managed to sharpen a Philips screwdriver and it worked. All of this got me interested in fixing things.

myself use mostly construction screws ,they pull together better whatever you are building,though if building a shed,i would use coated nails or ring shank,,rust proofing on the screws is a plus also,,like torx pan heads (cabinet) best as they dont sink into the wood like the flat vee shaped construction screws do and bury and split the wood.,,the nice thing to mention about screws,if you make a mistake,just screw them back out.

No expert, but I put my picket fence up a decade ago with a Hitachi framing nailer I bought specifically for it. I have not found one nail coming loose. Been through 2 fairly mild hurricanes - a cat 2 and a cat1.

If I had used screws I would probably still be building it :ROFLMAO:

Hohoho.

A2E66BF5-6041-4DF3-A3EF-D3AE61D43EBC.jpeg

Last edited:
Back