How to prevent bugs sticking to windshield?

I cant help you with preventing the bugs, but to get them off, nothing works better than a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide. They will almost melt off.
The thing with using peroxide weekly is that by nature it will remove or strip away all other protective films or chemicals. Therefore I would be re-applying all protective layers, then whatever additional protective layer for bugs.

I currently use IPA on the windshield, which also strips all protection from the window. But in that case its just spray Rain X and done to re-apply.

This is really the most effective option... But as you mentioned, my concerns. The issue is that a salesmen can tell me anything and I will not know the difference until long after wards when it comes off, so personal reviews are important (like yours). Your link shows a dealer not too for from me and I would anticipate that this service is less expensive than the LEXUS factory version, and may be better material

Have you actually removed the material yet?
if so-
How often do you have to replace yours?

Is it just the front clip and valance or is it all the way back the hood?
I had full front fascia, bumper, headlights, full hood, full front fenders, A Pillars, mirror fronts, front of roof in front of sunroof, door pockets.
I would consider the film as permanent. It is removable but not sure why it is a concern. The film is that good.

This might sound weird, but it works. Go to the fabric store and buy some pinking shears if you don't have any. Then buy a yard of plain weave taffeta fabric. You want the kind that feels a little rough and doesn't stretch. It feels more papery or a little bit like canvas; NOT the smooth satin / silky stuff. Cut some pieces of it when you get home with the pinking shears in 1 foot by 1 foot pieces. The pinking shears keep it from unraveling on the edges. When you get bugs on your paint or windshield, just dampen the cloth good and wipe the area with the bugs. The wetter the cloth the better for lubrication. The weave of the taffeta microscopically "grinds" the bugs off without scratching your paint or windshield. It works with glass cleaner too. I usually keep one in the truck for trips and keep one in the car wash bucket. It works like a charm. In a pinch on the road you can just dampen it or the windshield with the windshield washer fluid by locking the wipers in the up position and spraying your windshield. I have given tons of these clothes away to friends who want one after they see me using them; motorcycle guys in particular want them. Real cheap to make and they last a long time. When you get done using it, you'll look at the cloth and wonder where all the bug stuff went because it just grinds them into dust basically. Just toss them in the washer to clean them. Started using this 33 years ago when I became a state trooper and put a lot of bugs out of their misery.

Last edited:
OP - I have no bug removal advise.

But, check your radiator to see if it's loading up with bugs.
I bought a long-extended nozzle that you attach to a garden hose.
Slip it in on back side of radiator and flush towards the front grill.
On the Canadian prairies flying bugs are a summer plague (pardon the pun). We used to put a metal screen (window screen material) in front of the radiator so we could pull it out and hose it off periodically. But newer cars have so much stuff in front of the radiator I was no longer able to get a screen in there.

One evening I had a limo drive a corporate team 3 hours on a main road in Alberta. The windshield got so bad the driver had to pull over and soak the bugs off. He used a foaming General Motors spray to loosen them up, then paper towels to wipe the mess off. Don't know the name of it.

The surprising thing (to me anyway) is that we have almost no flying bugs on the coast. You hardly ever get a window splat here.

Rejex is what the aviation types like to use on their paint for protection against bug squash.

The GM glass cleaner (ACDelco 88865156) has been reformulated without ammonia. Not as good as the old stuff.

Ok in Florida they have a short "love bug" season and the love bugs get everywhere. Stick to the radiator, hood area and windshield. Some places close down outdoor dining

Vehicles can overheat if enough get on the radiator.

@MODS!
After more than a decade with several good relationships here, I don't appreciate the accusation and character attacks! I really don't appreciate you attacking my character then making it so that I cannot message you directly! Sorry, that is not management That's personal agenda!
I think you need to gain the correct understanding of what "click bait" means and not interfere with productive thought and discussion. Now YOU have actually created a mis-leading thread title that limits information, then you cant even type it using proper grammar. Its NOT just about a windshield issue, its a painted surfaces issue as well and much broader discussion. I think some senior MODS need to help educate the others...

The title was BUGS for a reason.... I don't appreciate it at all, nor would the rest of the COMMUNITY if it happened to them. If this is how BITOG is now, after more than a decade I will simply leave. While it may not be an issue to the community for just myself to leave, it WILL be when everyone like myself follows over time for similar reasons. When you loose your GOOD content generators, the forum will be dead forever, this is happening all over the internet as is.

Rain-x is the cheapest/easiest for helping with windshield. Paint film for the paint and good coat of sealant with frequent washing. I keep a spray detailer and micro fibers in trunk in case of big bird and other splatters. Also a can of glass cleaner like Sprayway.

I remember family in Florida had the nylon screen material that they would cover the radiator area outside to keep the bugs from clogging that. One of them had 2 with magnets or snaps. If it got too clogged up on a trip he would toss in a bag and put the other one on. They still had to be washed but protected the radiator/condensor.

I think the they also had one of deflectors to help move air higher but not sure if that helped.

Kristall Klar gets many great reviews to help dissolve them as well as P21S, Sonax and Some of the tablets.

Some people add like a tablespoon of Dawn Dish Soap to each gallon of fluid to help with oils etc.

Rain-x is the cheapest/easiest for helping with windshield. Paint film for the paint and good coat of sealant with frequent washing. I keep a spray detailer and micro fibers in trunk in case of big bird and other splatters. Also a can of glass cleaner like Sprayway.

I remember family in Florida had the nylon screen material that they would cover the radiator area outside to keep the bugs from clogging that. One of them had 2 with magnets or snaps. If it got too clogged up on a trip he would toss in a bag and put the other one on. They still had to be washed but protected the radiator/condensor.

I think the they also had one of deflectors to help move air higher but not sure if that helped.

Kristall Klar gets many great reviews to help dissolve them as well as P21S, Sonax and Some of the tablets.

Some people add like a tablespoon of Dawn Dish Soap to each gallon of fluid to help with oils etc.
I never heard of the Kristall Klar! This gives me a new point of research, meaning boutique washer fluids that I had not considered before.

I usually use the Green Rain X, I have tried adding things to it over the years but nothing has given results worth mentioning or getting excited about...

Thanks for the suggestion and link!

I never heard of the Kristall Klar! This gives me a new point of research, meaning boutique washer fluids that I had not considered before.

I usually use the Green Rain X, I have tried adding things to it over the years but nothing has given results worth mentioning or getting excited about...

Thanks for the suggestion and link!
The small bottle has the measuring thing on it so you can just add accordingly to a gallon. Kristal Klar Premium 8.5 oz.

They say regular tap water, some methyl alcohol for winter etc. Many just add to regular blue washer fluid for added cleaning.

I suggest doing it to a gallon jug of whatever not direct to washer bottle. I remember way back when I overdosed on the P21S. I would add "some" each time I topped off the reservoir but not at a set amount. It got to sudsy over time.

I drove through a bug hatch one time in Montana that was so thick, I had to pull over and manually scrub the windshield with newspaper and bottled water as the washer fluid just left an opaque film on the windshield. I was amazed at how all those fresh bug guts smelled exactly like trout.
I have had to wear sunglasses at 3AM navigating a river when the mayflies were running. They form bug stalactites on lights. At least in a car they splat on the windshield! I got into a hatch last week as I too drive a windy back road that follows said river.

I hit one leaving Arkansas entering Tennessee once that was the worst I'd ever seen. Like what you describe.

Rain-X for short term bug protection on the glass . I don't know about the front of the vehicle .

Back