Budget Car Rental - lack of maintenance

I rented a minivan 2 weeks ago to take a trip out west. As soon I got the minivan change oil warning came on. Told them about it and they said probably just forgot to reset the warning. I checked and it was a half quart low and did not look new. Sticker on corner said oil change due 27,000 miles and it had 33,000 when I picked it up. Nearly 7,000 mile roundtrip and took the van back. First words were glad to see you as another person needs it in 2 hours. Needed a good cleaning and oil change but oil change now will be extended. Why I won't buy a rental car. Some people say they really maintain the rental fleets very good but this is one more negative to that statement.

I rented a minivan 2 weeks ago to take a trip out west. As soon I got the minivan change oil warning came on. Told them about it and they said probably just forgot to reset the warning. I checked and it was a half quart low and did not look new. Sticker on corner said oil change due 27,000 miles and it had 33,000 when I picked it up. Nearly 7,000 mile roundtrip and took the van back. First words were glad to see you as another person needs it in 2 hours. Needed a good cleaning and oil change but oil change now will be extended. Why I won't buy a rental car. Some people say they really maintain the rental fleets very good but this is one more negative to that statement.
If it misses an oil change-don't know if it's a big deal. HOWEVER-it misses more than one that's a different story. They will normally check fluids before next rental. They are not going to add a half quart. I am not motivated to check the oil on a rental-it's not my car.

My 2019 Pathfinder showed one oil change on the carfax for the year and 25K miles it spent in rental service. It could have had more given not everything shows up on the carfax, but I doubt it.

My 2019 Ram 1500 classic also showed one oil change in the year and 15K miles it spent as a rental.

The highest mileage ex-rentals I've purchased had around 36K miles on them when I bought them. Never had an issue with any of them in terms of sludge or oil related concerns.

I worked for Budget, but it was over 30yrs ago. I know even then in periods of high demand, oil changes would get delayed. Times were different then though. The fleets were huge and a high mileage rental had 30K miles on it. They typically were sold off with miles in the teens back then.

It's been awhile since I rented a vehicle, but I always check fluids on them. I don't want to get stranded in a place I don't want to be, especially in today's "sorry, we're under-staffed" environment.

There's an ass in every seat?

I think depending on when they are needed they may do an oil change when it is "not busy" or if they missed they would not be sold back as some certified program cars. Some people would bite if they are cheap enough.

Will you not buy a car if one oil change is 600 miles off the 5000 mile limit? What if it is $500 cheaper?

If it misses an oil change-don't know if it's a big deal. HOWEVER-it misses more than one that's a different story. They will normally check fluids before next rental. They are not going to add a half quart. I am not motivated to check the oil on a rental-it's not my car.
I checked it as I was going to Death Valley and Phoenix so don't want no oil to be a reason I break down in middle of no where in extreme heat with the family. Wasn't planning to add oil. It was 1/2 qt low when I picked it up. Most likely used some on the nearly 7,000 mile trip at high speeds through Texas and in the mountain ranges out west. We went to Death Valley early in morning so it was only 98 when we left. Phoenix last week was up to 119 on the van last Tuesday. Was hard to touch the steering wheel or seats.

My 2019 Pathfinder showed one oil change on the carfax for the year and 25K miles it spent in rental service. It could have had more given not everything shows up on the carfax, but I doubt it.

My 2019 Ram 1500 classic also showed one oil change in the year and 15K miles it spent as a rental.

The highest mileage ex-rentals I've purchased had around 36K miles on them when I bought them. Never had an issue with any of them in terms of sludge or oil related concerns.

I worked for Budget, but it was over 30yrs ago. I know even then in periods of high demand, oil changes would get delayed. Times were different then though. The fleets were huge and a high mileage rental had 30K miles on it. They typically were sold off with miles in the teens back then.

It's been awhile since I rented a vehicle, but I always check fluids on them. I don't want to get stranded in a place I don't want to be, especially in today's "sorry, we're under-staffed" environment.
It is probably safe to say 99.5% of renters don't check fluid levels-and I don't see multitude of rental vehicles on the side of a highway. So if you account for the sheer number of rentals on the road (we have alot here on the road in Utah due to both winter skiing and our National Parks)-we are having extremely good luck or at some point the fluids are being check. Contrary to wisdom on here an extended OCI-or even missing one won't cause the motor to blow up-as you have stated above.

There's an ass in every seat?

I think depending on when they are needed they may do an oil change when it is "not busy" or if they missed they would not be sold back as some certified program cars. Some people would bite if they are cheap enough.

Will you not buy a car if one oil change is 600 miles off the 5000 mile limit? What if it is $500 cheaper?
Yes I would but if it was due at 27,000 miles and was nearly 40,000 that a bit longer than I would want and now going out again.

I checked it as I was going to Death Valley and Phoenix so don't want no oil to be a reason I break down in middle of no where in extreme heat with the family. Wasn't planning to add oil. It was 1/2 qt low when I picked it up. Most likely used some on the nearly 7,000 mile trip at high speeds through Texas and in the mountain ranges out west. We went to Death Valley early in morning so it was only 98 when we left. Phoenix last week was up to 119 on the van last Tuesday. Was hard to touch the steering wheel or seats.
As someone who grew up in Southern California-taking a family to death valley in the summertime is foolish. Not a personal attach against you-JMHO.

Had a similar experience. When I picked up a rental car the oil change due light came on immediately. I only had it for a few days so I just drove it. When I returned it, I told the nice young lady behind the counter about the light and she said, not to worry as she had checked the oil level herself, and it was fine.

As someone who grew up in Southern California-taking a family to death valley in the summertime is foolish. Not a personal attach against you-JMHO.
There were actually quite a few people there mostly at the scenic view areas. Phone signals were very poor mostly non existent as well so couldn't rely on those but if you stayed in main areas people would drive by every half hour or less.

I'd be more annoyed seeing the Change Oil Soon warning every time I start the car. Actually, if I was going to have the car more than a couple days I might just reset the system manually to make it go away. How the rental company decides to service their vehicles isn't my concern. I doubt the car is going to die on my watch.

My bigger complaint is when I rent a car and the tank isn't full.... On the last car I rented, the gauge looked like it read "full" but dropped noticeably and quickly within a few miles. So on a whim I stopped and topped it off and it took over four gallons. Even at a paltry 15 MPG that's like sixty miles.... Most likely the previous renter used the car and returned it without filling the tank because the gauge looked "full" enough.

I'd be more annoyed seeing the Change Oil Soon warning every time I start the car. Actually, if I was going to have the car more than a couple days I might just reset the system manually to make it go away. How the rental company decides to service their vehicles isn't my concern. I doubt the car is going to die on my watch.

My bigger complaint is when I rent a car and the tank isn't full.... On the last car I rented, the gauge looked like it read "full" but dropped noticeably and quickly within a few miles. So on a whim I stopped and topped it off and it took over four gallons. Even at a paltry 15 MPG that's like sixty miles.... Most likely the previous renter used the car and returned it without filling the tank because the gauge looked "full" enough.
They are not dying on anybody's watch-to any large degree. That's the point.

Sometimes things just fall that way. My last job didn't offer vacations. My only vacation days were 3 day holiday weekends. Usually the 4 th of July for me. That's when we went to the superstition mountains in AZ,goldfield,bisbee and tombstone. If I didn't go at that time I'd never get to go.

New job offers vacation but you earned so many hours per month. As of now I have 3 days and we are going to cottonwood AZ next month over a weekend.

You got a car I turned in……this is how I do it.

A few years back I rented a Fusion that had a recent oil change sticker. You can imagine my surprise to find the oil black as tar and a touch low. I put another couple thousand in it and turned it in, letting the rental agency know they have a shop charging them for oil changes, but not actually doing them.

You got a car I turned in……this is how I do it.

A few years back I rented a Fusion that had a recent oil change sticker. You can imagine my surprise to find the oil black as tar and a touch low. I put another couple thousand in it and turned it in, letting the rental agency know they have a shop charging them for oil changes, but not actually doing them.
Of course some cars turn the oil very dark after a short time.

I had a long term Avis rental once for a remote work assignment. When the car got to 10k miles (I got it essentially new), I called to ask and they said they did it based upon time.

I returned the car with >15k miles on it and it was still on factory fill.

I used to work across a parking lot from an enterprise rent a car. They didn't want to spend Any money on the cars. We stopped working on their cars after the manager made a scene in our waiting room over thin rotors.

Im like you man. One time i rented a hyundai and later saw the sticker was due and when i called to extend it I told them i was taking it for a few thousand miles of drive and they said no prob. I pulled the stick and saw it was 1/4 above the low mark. I SERIOUSLY stopped at walmart and put a quart of Mobil 1 5w-30 EP in and said, I'd want this done for me if i bought this off lease... lol

The recent Hertz rental I had was low on coolant. Oil looked OK but I saw an OE Toyota filter vs. a Champ Labs or a Chinese Premium Guard/Prime Guard filter from a quick lube or a Firestone shop on it.

Topped off with Prestone and called it a day.

Back