Budack EA888 vs "regular" EA888. From Mechanic.com AU

For someone who has heard those terms but did not understand them, that was quite helpful thanks!

So the current new generation Tiguans have Budacks. I have heard (I think) the anemic 1.8t used in the 19-20 Passats as Miller? So what is the older EA888 in my 12 Tiguan, an Otto?

For someone who has heard those terms but did not understand them, that was quite helpful thanks!

So the current new generation Tiguans have Budacks. I have heard (I think) the anemic 1.8t used in the 19-20 Passats as Miller? So what is the older EA888 in my 12 Tiguan, an Otto?

LOL, i have one of those "anemic" Budack Cycle 2019 Passats (174 hp and 185 lb-ft). It's juuuust enough to be engaging and is a 2.0T not a 1.8T.

From the article:
" Essentially, the Budack Cycle is the opposite of the Miller Cycle, in the sense that the Budack Cycle closes the intake valve sooner than it would have closed on a conventional Otto Cycle engine. "

The traditional Miller cycle closes the intake valves just before the end of the intake stroke, the Budack cycle closes the intake valves earlier. The shorter intake phase means a longer expansion phase.

Yes, i believe your Tiguan is an Otto cycle.

Thanks for the clarification yes you're right the 19-20 Passats are 2.0 not 1.8. Still can't get my head around 0w20 in a VW. :p

Thanks for the clarification yes you're right the 19-20 Passats are 2.0 not 1.8. Still can't get my head around 0w20 in a VW. :p

I hear ya. Since i doubt i'll be doing 10K mile oci ( i know, i've seen where it can be done), i will probably move up to a 5W-30 ILSAC Syn for good.

Others have already clarified the 2019+ Passats have the Budack 2.0 TSI, not the 1.8 TSI which was hardly anemic. I have driven both and prefer the 1.8 TSI. It is more refined.

Same here! I don't give it a second thought in my Honda 2.4, but in a turbo? Then again everyone said engines would implode using 5w20 when it became mainstream. Look around 15 years later, all is well.

I'll be using the OEM 508.00 0w20 juice until further notice.

So then should we use 5/40 in our 2019 cars that call for 0/20 (non Budack engine). My car is a 2019 GLI (2.0 Turbo)

I had a '20 Tiguan for a loaner for almost a week - this was the 2nd gen with the 2.0T Budack. Have also driven a 1.8T in a '15 Jetta SE and the 2.0T in a '20 Jetta GLI.

I was not a fan of the 2.0T Budack in the Tiguan - it was lethargic unless you really dipped into the throttle and it sounded very agricultural and tractor like during normal driving. It also had this habit of using higher RPM more than riding the natural low end torque wave, normal acceleration keeping up with traffic 4k RPM was not uncommon. It felt like a non-turbo NA 4 banger during normal acceleration almost like the turbo was not even in the loop.

Back