Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cooper
... with TPMS rebuild kits.

Please do not take this the wrong way. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think "TPMS rebuild kits" are a boondoggle for tire stores. The seals and valves ought to last at least as long as the batteries in the TPMS sensors (4-6 years). The tire places are taking advantage of ignorance and this is one of those things I think is a rip off.

Please, if you know I am wrong, tell me why.

Originally Posted By: mason1125

When were they made?

Indonesia or/and Thailand. [/quote]

When, not where...with cracking rubber I was wondering how OLD they are...

Hello Cooper, If this helps: I had set of B'stone Turanza w/Serenity installed on my 2002 Volvo V70 (a heavy car). I drive conservatively and rotate my tires religiously. They wore out evenly at 51,000 miles. The "70,000 mile warranty" left me feeling not good. They say the tread rubber below is softer than the tread rubber which touches the road when first you buy the tire. It is said to harden with age as all rubber does and by the time you wear down to it, it's perfect. Hmmmmmm trick rubber....all cast into the 10 or 11 32nd of an inch which is the tread. I don't buy it (which is irrelevant) I will never buy another premium H rated tire for longevity again. I'll find an S or T rated tire.

After all this, I learned that the Turanza w/Serenity was called a performance tire by some and a touring-aka longer life- tire when they were pitched to me. Never again. Kira

I don't know about the others on here, Kira, but I have NEVER had tires last as long as the "warranty." I believe those to be arbitrary numbers. Also, the three digit treadwear rating on the tire sidewall can only be compared to other tires made by the same manufacturer.

Tread life is dependent upon so many things it would be nearly impossible for a manufacturer to tell you how long they were going to last, anyway. My dad used to do a lot of highway driving and once got 80,000 miles out of a set of H-rated tires. I never got more than 35,000 personally. I do a lot of stop and go driving and I corner, brake, and accelerate aggressively. YMMV

The Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires were made in Canada with a 0212 date code. (second week of 2012) I was about to get the Turanza Serenity Plus tires for about $100 off.

Last edited:
This is the second time I have had a set of Michelin tires that started cracking around the edge of the tread. I really like Michelin tires, but this seems to be an inherent problem with their tires.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Please do not take this the wrong way. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think "TPMS rebuild kits" are a boondoggle for tire stores. The seals and valves ought to last at least as long as the batteries in the TPMS sensors (4-6 years). The tire places are taking advantage of ignorance and this is one of those things I think is a rip off.

I think seals and rubber degrade over time. It cost an extra $20, as they are doing them for $5 each. To me, that is worth knowing the rubber seals won't leak. I live in an area that has 95 degree weather like today and 10 degree weather in the winter..... Fresh seals can't hurt anything.

I have now had the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus for 1000 miles. Some things I have noticed. They are noticeably quieter on the freeway than the Michelin Primacy MXM4s they replaced. But, they have a slight hum at 50-60 mph. They stick to dry pavement great! I can increase my speed on onramps with no worries of them breaking loose. MPG has gone up about 1-1.5 MPG since installing. Maybe even more as I have tried to push these tires a little more since installing them compared to the Michelin tires. So far, so good.... The true test will be when the snow starts falling.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I've had such a horrible experience with Bridgestone Turdanza EL400's, I'd never buy anything Turanza if I could help it.

These came as factory tires on our 2008 Honda Odyssey LX and 2012 Subaru Legcay 2.5i CVT. The worst winter time tire I've ever owned and tread-wear pretty much shot by 30K miles.

Yea, these EL400's placed 19 out of 23 tires tested in CR's Tire Test several years ago. And had a BLACK DOT in the Snow Traction Catigory. I don't have CR's most recent tire test.
I have now had the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus for 1000 miles. Some things I have noticed. They are noticeably quieter on the freeway than the Michelin Primacy MXM4s they replaced. But, they have a slight hum at 50-60 mph. They stick to dry pavement great! I can increase my speed on onramps with no worries of them breaking loose. MPG has gone up about 1-1.5 MPG since installing. Maybe even more as I have tried to push these tires a little more since installing them compared to the Michelin tires. So far, so good.... The true test will be when the snow starts falling.

Indeed, snow traction is important to my as well. I'd like to hear more on that if you can remember to post an update next winter
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

You're wrong.
smile.gif

Here's why: TPMS valve stems corrode like nobody's business. If you leave the collet nut or valve core on too long, they will rust-weld themselves to the threads and make it impossible to remove them without breaking the stem. Often the threads on the stem will corrode away to dust. The reason for service packs/rebuild kits is that replacing the screw-on parts every time the tires are serviced is the only defense against corrosion.

Also, the rubber gasket seals do not and will not last as long as the batteries. Rubber dries out, stiffens and cracks. The gaskets need to be replaced often to prevent leakage.

Tire installers really don't make all that much profit on rebuild kits, and they're usually not much more expensive than rubber valve stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back