Break in for a 2018 Nissan Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever it is, it doesn't have much shear stability, and all indications (including testing by Mobil) are it's an ordinary Group III synthetic or perhaps even a blend, just with some special additive package, which doesn't include much in the way of esters at all. In any event, it almost certainly isn't their factory fill, given the cost. They don't even push it up here at the dealer. Mobil provides the service fill up here.

As an aside, we may be in for some interesting times, well, interesting to us, at least. Castrol is trying to have the OEMs they serve, the Renault Group in particular which is relevant here since it includes Nissan and Infiniti, to rationalise factory fill and service fill across the line.

Originally Posted By: Fulgore
Hello all,
I appreciate your input for my Nissan Versa oil change schedule a couple of months ago but unfortunately my car got hit and was totaled. I am thinking of getting a new Nissan Altima. How should I break-in the car properly? I am thinking of getting an oil change right after driving the car from the dealer and a few more oil changes until the car reaches 5000 miles. The car uses 0W-20 but I feel like it is too think and is it ok if I put 5W30 dexos1 gen2 oil into the QR25DE engine? Also thinking of keeping the engine below 3000RPM before 5000 miles and avoid hard braking. Is it bad if I drive the car on 100 mile highway trip everyday during the break-in period? Should I change the CVT fluid or other fluid/parts earlier than the manufacturer's suggestion?
Thank you and have a good day.

No offense, but I bet almost every one of your Q?'s are answered in the owners manual. I don't think that NISSAN spent billions of $$$$'s on research and development to just scribble a few words in a paper back book for nothing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
And IIRC, Nissan's factory fill is an Ester/Group V oil.

I'm not so sure. Even their Genuine Nissan Ester Oil isn't an ester/Group V oil.
wink.gif

Not in a ho hum sedan. Probably - if anywhere- only in the GT-r or maybe a NISMO 370 engine.
Too costly to be anywhere else - Believe Me!

My reading up on the ester base oils needed for the Infiniti G 3.7 and I think the VQ HR 3.5s is due to those motors having the DLC on them. Diamond Like Coating on the cylinder walls. Now it doesn't mean that it is a total necessity to run the Nissan oil in those cars. But I do think a "better" oil might well be a good idea in them given how and what they are made like.

Sorry guys for my late reply. Have been dealing with the insurance scumbags these days and they are trying to low-ball me. The Nissan Owner Manual said it is not necessary to change the oil before 5000 miles but given that the car has been sitting in the dealer lot for a couple of months I would like to change the oil as soon as possible. Per the owner manual only 0W-20 is recommended but with the same engine the older altimas could also use 5w/10w-30... I know a owner manual should be good enough for most people but that is why I come here... We like oil
smile.gif
Just wanna pick the best viscosity and break in oil change schedule to get it perfectly functioning. One more thing, how do you guys negotiate the price with the dealer? How much should I pay out of the door for the altima? I would like to get the 2.5 SR trim with MSRP 25000. I appreciate all the input and thank you guys and have a good day.

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I am angry now as I work hard and pay my insurance on time. The person who hit me is also a good guy and got liability insurance. When you got hit and claiming money from the insurance company they are making a [censored] ton of excuses trying to lower the payment amount. Does justice still exist in America, or am I too introversive?

They should pay you the retail value for your car and whatever is deducted/added for mileage. That's what State Farm does anyways, but I've only known one person that I can think of that ever totaled a car and that was a while ago.

Yes I am currently dealing with State Farms. Their adjustors are all scumbags. They provided the lowest market value of my car, and I need to pay a [censored] ton of money out of pocket if I buy a new car, whether it is a Versa or an Altima. If the collision does not exist, I don't even need to think of claiming the insurance and then getting a new car.

Where did you get the market value of your vehicle? Did you do a search and see what vehicles like yours, Year, Model, and mileage are selling for? I've found State Farm to be very fair in their dealings with me. Ed

KBB.com;
They want to give me the trade in value to a dealer but I want the market value of selling the car to a private party. There is a $4000 difference. I think it is fair to ask a higher amount as if the accident did not happen, I could sell it privately. I even offered to settle the claim by dividing the value they offered and my offer in two, resulting in a $2000 difference and they still wont give me that amount of payment. How about my lost wages? Lost time? They said they would not be responsible for that. It is not a large sum of money, but it is right for me to claim a fair market value of my car plus lost wages.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Not in a ho hum sedan. Probably - if anywhere- only in the GT-r or maybe a NISMO 370 engine.
Too costly to be anywhere else - Believe Me!

Yes. I doubt they use an 30 grade in the GT-R, either. As it is, if my car were still under warranty, though it's not, the Shell Rotella 5w-30 fits the spec.

Last edited:
KBB.com;
How about my lost wages? Lost time? They said they would not be responsible for that.

State Farm has a bad reputation for this, especially if you are not THEIR customer. Hold your ground and make them responsible. You might have to call a lawyer.

Sorry to hear about your insurance run around. They should be paying you based on private oarty or retail value. Maybe a threat to call the state insurance board will wake them up!
As far as new car break in, leave the factory oil in there for at least 3000 miles! The factory oil will often have extra moly either from assembly lube or a special formulation. It is beneficial to the engine during break in, so don't dump it to early!

I have thought of calling a lawyer. But if he really steeps in the case, I think I need to pay a large amount of money for him?

I paid the car in cash, and planned to keep it for at least 5 years. There should be new laws to protect our fellow hard-working Americans not being played around by those insurance pieces of [censored].

Thank you man. Do you think the state insurance board can do something? For [censored] sake why we fellow Americans are being ripped off to buy premium insurance, and not getting the correct amount of money back?

I have thought of calling a lawyer. But if he really steeps in the case, I think I need to pay a large amount of money for him?

You might be able to find a lawyer who will draft and send a nasty letter for you without charging too much, but it's going to cost you if he needs to spend actual time on your case.
We were having a huge problem with getting the builder of our house to respond to us before our 1 year period after move-in for getting things fixed expired. We sent him a registered letter that copied the name of a law firm that we just made up...he got back to us immediately. Might not work with a big company that is more likely to see through such a ruse...

In regards to insurance, you have to use specific terms when you talk to them. Insurance claim is supposed to make you "whole" again. Meaning you should get a settlement that will allow you to purchase a similar vehicle you lost. Trading in a vehicle is not the same as purchasing a vehicle. Therefore you cannot accept a trade in value since you are not trading in anything.

They know their language and they are using it to their advantage. You have to speak their language. Get them to send you the definitions of what a trade in and purchase means.

Look at your policy, does it mention any trade ins? I bet it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back