Break-in Advice in the Manual ... Italian Style !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Here's an aggressive break-in. The Yellow 'Busa is new.

Yeah, I know. They are not smart riding with very little protective gear.

Looks like the FL guys are still at the 9/10s craze. Even having gear if going down at 175~200 MPH might not matter ... recall DaveO's incident at a controlled event.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Here's an aggressive break-in. The Yellow 'Busa is new.

Yeah, I know. They are not smart riding with very little protective gear.

Looks like the FL guys are still at the 9/10s craze. Even having gear if going down at 175~200 MPH might not matter ... recall DaveO's incident at a controlled event.

I was hanging out with DaveO and Jason McVicar at Bonneville, just about a month before Dave crashed and died at Maxton. The problem was he went off the course at over 200 mph, into a stand of trees, with predictable results. There's a possibility that Dave had some medical issue, as he never slowed after the speedtrap, or made an attempt to turn.

DaveO's loss still hurts, as I considered him a friend. At the time of his death, he was going to come out to the drag races I work, to get a dose of ch3no2 fumes.

Back at Bonneville, Jason came off his bike at about 245 mph, and suffered only a slight fracture, and bumps and bruises. The key was full leathers, and his not hitting immovable objects.

The 9/10ths guys could survive with minimal injuries in full leathers, if they don't hit anything while sliding. But with no protective gear, their chances go way down.

The 9/10ths guys could survive with minimal injuries in full leathers, if they don't hit anything while sliding. But with no protective gear, their chances go way down.

True

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I break-in all my cars & bikes pretty hard. Lots of 3/4 throttle runs to 3/4 the way to redline, then throttle fully cloed for some engine braking. Every vehicle I bought new sees 100 MPH in Mexico the 1st day of ownership. All have been strong runners that use very little oil over an OCI.

Same here. Just finished doing my friends new Gixxer this way. Got all the way into 5th gear before running out of my comfort zone.

More power, better compression, lower oil consumption are just some of the benefits...
5th gear? 150mph easy?

At least! Nice toll road that is deserted late at night. Well fenced so no critters. It was seemingly effortless...

Some guys go way too fast. I'm not harping or anything and don't mean to sound like a broken record about crashing but I came off at only about 40-45mph and [censored] near died. Granted, its because I highsided and tumbled through a grove of sapling trees but at least it wasn't tumbling on asphalt. Leather only protects from sliding abrasions not from impacts. Thought I'd slide but when when the bike hit the utility post it snapped upright and off I flew. So anyhow, guess about a certain speed it doesn't matter anyhow but then there are legalities and liabilities involved if you crash while street racing not just criminal charges but possible lawsuit that could ruin you financially for a long time.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
So anyhow, guess about a certain speed it doesn't matter anyhow

That's wrong.

Proper riding gear CAN make a difference, even at extremely high speeds.

Here's this video again:

Without good or indeed any gear, even slow speed mishaps can result in death. Indian Larry is an example of that. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back