brake pedal nice and firm after a hard braking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the reason for the brake pedal firming up after you brake really hard. Yesterday I hit the brakes real hard to stop and it caused the abs to actuate and afterwards I noticed the brake pedal was firmer than before.

Fluid expands when it warms up. Braking heats up the fluid. More fluid+same available volume of the brake system=firmer pedal.

If you have drum brakes, they probably are now sitting closer, from their adjusters being pushed to the limits.
With 4 wheel discs, things probably seated a bit more.
But other than that, things should NOT change before/after hard braking. If so, maybe a fluid/air or booster problem.
Does this do this all the time after a hard braking?

Last edited:
How does the brake booster operate on the Dodge CTD?
I know when I work with some GM Hydroboost vehicles, the pedal would feel firmer after braking. A Diesel trucks with hydraulic brakes would either need a vacuum pump that operates a vacuum booster, or it would need a hydraulic brake booster just like a GM Hydroboost.

I have worked on many Chevy Impala military police cars, that had spongy brakes. Doing panic stops to activate the abs always fixed the issue. It bleeds the abs or something but it works. You can also do the same thing with a Tech2 scan tool on GM vehicles. Your truck may work similarly.

You could have sticky caliper sliders, or the pads are sticking in the brackets. A good punch knocked 'em loose.

I noticed the same thing with my 9 month old Cruze. A good hard stop that activated the ABS made the brakes firmer. Normally my driving is gentle on the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back