Brake Fluid question

Status
Not open for further replies.
9,000 miles it time to change your Toyota synthetic oil. Maybe you read it wrong/ Never heard of any dealer telling people to flush brake fluid after just 2 years.

It’s like your transmission fluid: when it gets as dark as your oil, it’s time to change it.
grin.gif

the dealer is sending you a card in order to drum up profit for them. how long do you intend to keep the car? certainly it is better to change it every 3-5 years than to ignore it. all of my motorcycles call for 2 year replacement.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I change mine every 30,000 miles. You'd be surprised how dark it looks. I only use synthetic brake fluid because I feel it's less hygroscopic.

This is one of those marketing ploys. ALL brake fluid is synthetic. Some companies just use the term to make their product more eye catching on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I change mine every 30,000 miles. You'd be surprised how dark it looks. I only use synthetic brake fluid because I feel it's less hygroscopic.

This is one of those marketing ploys. ALL brake fluid is synthetic.

Don't think that Citroen stuff is, though I'm not certain.

I recently replaced the original fluid in my 97 because of brake line replacement. I flushed out my other vehicle which was last done in 2001. I never had any hydraulic failures with either. I think the process is over hyped.

Originally Posted By: resist
9,000 miles it time to change your Toyota synthetic oil. Maybe you read it wrong/ Never heard of any dealer telling people to flush brake fluid after just 2 years.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I recently replaced the original fluid in my 97 because of brake line replacement. I flushed out my other vehicle which was last done in 2001. I never had any hydraulic failures with either. I think the process is over hyped.

I used to think that too, and then I did, so now I dont.

You need particular circumstances involving significant heat input to produce total hydraulic failure, even if you're running with pure water in the hydraulic system.

However, the system is still likely to suffer corrosion damage even if it seems to be working perfectly.

All this talk of brake fluid changing got me in the mood so I did a vacuum bleeding (Mityvac) on my 2012 Mazda3. It has almost 84,000 miles on it and I hadn't touched the fluid. (I used to change it every 30K miles in my 89 Accord, as specified by Honda.) I've been checking the fluid with a cheap electronic moisture detector I purchased and it still read to be OK. The darkest fluid in the system was about the same color as Ardbeg Ten (for you scotch aficionados). It was about the color of honey. The full job used about 24, or so, ounces of fresh fluid. The pedal feels the same so I'm not sure there was really any benefit to doing this.

Even though my Mazda3 was assembled in Hiroshima the master cylinder and calipers all have "FoMoCo" stamped on them. I thought that was interesting.

The pedal feels the same so I'm not sure there was really any benefit to doing this.

The pedal would feel the same if you changed it out with water.

Softer pedal would mean you put air bubbles in the system when you did the change, harder pedal would mean you had air bubbles in the system before and you got rid of them.

No connection with the quality of the fluid used, apart from maybe a very very slight lubrication difference, which I'd bet a lot of money you wouldnt be able to feel.

Last edited:
I've seen people claim that the pedal feels "better" in some way after replacing the fluid. I knew it shouldn't feel any different. I haven't seen fluid that clean looking after 80,000+ miles. Part of the reason I did it was just to see what it looked like.

I've seen people claim that the pedal feels "better" in some way after replacing the fluid. I knew it shouldn't feel any different.

In that case the part of your previous post I quoted shouldn't have made any sense to you.

My brakes worked just fine until quite suddenly they didn't work at all. I'd say its worth a precautionary change-out to avoid that kind of surprise, plus you are protecting your brake system from corrosion.

I'm not convinced that clear brake fluid is necessarily OK. Certainly on my extensively corroded system (see pictures above) flushing it removed very little of the sludge, though it probably stopped more from forming.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Citroen's is Hydraulic fluid

My brakes worked just fine until quite suddenly they didn't work at all. I'd say its worth a precautionary change-out to avoid that kind of surprise, plus you are protecting your brake system from corrosion. [/quote]

Right-on ! It's corrosion the reason why the want you to replace the fluid every 2-3 years. With all the sensors involved in the new braking systems, corrosion is the enemy. As the fluid is hydrophilic it absorbs moisture which then turns into water and where there is water there will be rust. It's not an expensive job and for my safety I do it. The things never to skimp on are brakes and tires, your life depends on them.

Originally Posted By: Pelican

Citroen's is Hydraulic fluid

Echoes of the "synthetic brake fluid" thing. ALL brake fluid is hydraulic fluid. That's why they call them hydraulic brakes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back