Brake Fluid Bleed 16' Lacrosse BIG Difference

Originally Posted By: Dave9
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
If you ever dealt with brake systems in 10 or 20 year old vehicles I'd rather change brake fluid as a PM. I had to service the brakes on a 1990 Toyota 4Runner and everything was rusted internally (rather this brown gunk when I disassembled one of the whel cylinders.) After new wheel cylinders and calipers the fluid could never appear clear in the MC reservoir after a few weeks. The proportioning valve, ABS block, calipers and brake drum cylinders are made of iron so the high moisture level in the original fluid rotted them internally.

Absolutely, I do not mean to imply that brake fluid should never be changed, only that by itself in a properly working (undamaged/new) brake system, it cannot degrade to a visible water state in the FIRST two years. However I don't usually see significant internal rust from infrequent fluid flushes, rather the rubber components wearing and soft lines rotting inside caused the browish-black fluid color once they get that old.

LOL, visible water state.
Brakes with 3% of moisture are already having boiling point below 130c, and will create air pocket. Visible water state? No wonder we have som mane deaths in this country.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I told you already, you get a tool that measure % of moisture and boiling point in car and you will see.

You don't seem to get it. The relevance to this topic is could it result in what was observed without anything else wrong.

Further, lowering the boiling point "some" is what happens on the majority of vehicles without any brake failure caused accidents. You understand a theory but not the (lack of) relevance in typical real world scenarios.

Quote:
It is really not that hard, in many countries you cannot register car if moisture level is above 3% (and I can guarantee you moisture level is going to be above 3% after 2-3 years depending humidity) and boiling point is below 140c (depending on fluid, this might happen even after a year in fluids like Valvoline, Prestone etc.).
But, you know the truth
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Please list the countries where they check brake fluid moisture % during registration. It doesn't happen here, and the vast majority of drivers don't change their fluid every 2 years, so despite the things you have memorized, you don't understand the lack of relevance.

Yes moisture can build up to an excessive, problematic level. No it will not happen within 2 years of new unless there is already something else wrong with the braking system. You can't see the forest for the trees.

Brakes with 3% of moisture are already having boiling point below 130c, and will create air pocket. Visible water state? No wonder we have som mane deaths in this country.

You seem to have extremely poor reading comprehension skills, or have forgotten what this topic was about? This topic is not "tell us every random thing you memorized about brake fluid" then pretend you can extend that knowledge in areas contrary to reality.

The reality is, there is no evidence that brake fluid moisture builds up to a dangerous level within two years in an otherwise intact/non-defective/new braking system. Any system that exhibited this short a safety margin would unquestionably be recalled.

Maybe you work for Jiffy Lube and have a financial stake in brake flushes, lol. If my brake maintenance approach hadn't worked fine for many different vehicles then I'd have changed it many years ago. Disclaimer: I don't road race. If someone drives their car like they have no business doing on public roads then parts, maintenance intervals, both change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dave9

You seem to have extremely poor reading comprehension skills, or have forgotten what this topic was about? This topic is not "tell us every random thing you memorized about brake fluid" then pretend you can extend that knowledge in areas contrary to reality.

The reality is, there is no evidence that brake fluid moisture builds up to a dangerous level within two years in an otherwise intact/non-defective/new braking system. Any system that exhibited this short a safety margin would unquestionably be recalled.

Maybe you work for Jiffy Lube and have a financial stake in brake flushes, lol. If my brake maintenance approach hadn't worked fine for many different vehicles then I'd have changed it many years ago. Disclaimer: I don't road race. If someone drives their car like they have no business doing on public roads then parts, maintenance intervals, both change.

I told you already, get measuring equipment and find out yourself.
Person who says about brake fluid: visible water state, is the one that if it is lucky, fills insurance claims. I replaced brake fluid 6-7 years old (and no, I am not working as mechanic to make living) and still was not in "watery state."
What is driving car fast on public road? We have that discussion every winter here in Colorado when people who drive "safe," "slow'" etc. pile up on I-70 going downhill because they have A/S tires on cars. Their explanation is very similar to yours, as why they do not buy snow tires: I do not drive when it snows (but somehow I got caught in snow in the Rockies). I stay home during snow and ice (yes, because life is predictable like that), and best one: i drive slow.

That's why most OEM's recommend replacing the brake fluid every two years.
My '16 LaCrosse (45K miles now) has 3 years or 45K miles as the brake fluid change interval, whichever comes first. I don't know if the previous owner did that the year before I bought it -- I can check with the Buick dealer to see, if he had the dealer perform that work -- but if he didn't, it's time.

3 year bump but..
I flushed the fluid in my 17 accord last year just to do it, around 2.5 years 30K miles. Will probably do it again next summer or fall, again just because. I figure it’s cheap and easy to do preventive maintenance to keep fresh fluid

I often find condensation under the brake piston boot. It's very close to the brake fluid there and has all the time in the world to get adsorbed. Just 1 moving seal to keep the moisture out...

Back