Bought my best friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive known this guy almost 10yrs now. Such a straight shooter kind of guy, knows everything about me possible.
I didnt know that for the past 2 years hes been sleeping on his floor with just a thick mat and heavy quilt to make it thicker. All his income goes to bills and food so doesnt have alot of spare $.

Decided to buy him a twin mattress / platform, even got his dog a little bed. Not the greatest mattress but amazon had awesome reviews for it.

Should show up this week to his door. I havnt told him and won't until he gets it . I havnt really done a 'good deed' for a while and this makes me feel real good doing so. Real good

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm always dubious about stories of "giving" that include words of how good the giver got to feel in the process. True, actual giving doesn't include self interest on any level since the 'me/I' that gives, is absent.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm always dubious about stories of "giving" that include words of how good the giver got to feel in the process. True, actual giving doesn't include self interest on any level since the 'me/I' that gives, is absent.

It kind of depends. On what, I am not sure. Sometimes a person just wants to share a story of good nature. This spring I received a beautiful thank you letter from parents of a graduating college student. It made my day, because it reflected my values, what is really important to me, and I seldom get recognition. I shared it with my closest friends because it (the letter) made me feel so good. I suppose there is a fine line between boasting and just sharing a story of good deeds.

Now, if his friend prefers to sleep on the floor, there might be a problem. Thanks for sharing.

What is wrong with feeling good about ones-self, he's not exactly patting himself on the back. If more people would be generous and happy rather than greedy and cynical this rock would be a better place for all.

I think this is a major problem with the modern welfare state. Few get to enjoy the joy of helping others because we've been conditioned to believe that government should take care of it.

No good deed goes unpunished....as in this awful reply.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I think this is a major problem with the modern welfare state. Few get to enjoy the joy of helping others because we've been conditioned to believe that government should take care of it.

Depends how much you pay in taxes. 47% pay zero. I pay tens of thousands of dollars annually.

Good deeds are indeed worth a Bravo!...no doubt....all im saying is that there's giving and there's giving with an often unseen wanting/desire for something in return that includes feeling good about it.

Good on you, but think twice about telling him you did it - it could make him feel like he "owes" you for your goodwill. I'd just let it ride....

The true giver feels great about his gift to his friend.... and he should feel great.
However, don't brag about it and do it anonymously next time.
That's the greatest gift you can give yourself..... helping others without their knowledge and without my knowledge you did it.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
The true giver feels great about his gift to his friend.... and he should feel great.
However, don't brag about it and do it anonymously next time.
That's the greatest gift you can give yourself..... helping others without their knowledge and without my knowledge you did it.

Agreed, I don't see the point of doing this then starting a thread about it. I don't usually pat myself on the back on a public forum.

Meanwhile, a Manhunt is underway in Illinois for someone shooting another police officer, the dispatch seemed to indicate in the face.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: javacontour

Depends how much you pay in taxes. 47% pay zero. I pay tens of thousands of dollars annually.

Me too, tens of thousands each year in the myriad of taxes.

Keep in mind, the 47% is income tax. Most can't avoid them all, so they are likely paying payroll and excise taxes.

Kudos to the OPer!!

We bought a vacation condo a while back and bought a bunk bed for our daughter in a room that had originally had two twin beds. The old beds sat stacked up for a while and we finally posted a Craigslist ad that they were free for the taking, but were old and a little musty.
We were contacted fairly quickly and a couple came to pick them up...said one of them was for a niece who was going to be living with them because the mom was in rehab and might not be in shape to take care of her for some time. The other one was an upgrade for the couple's own bed, which I guess was at the point of collapse. These people obviously were having a hard time making ends meet, but they still were taking in a family member in need and we were so happy to be able to help them out.
Even things that might seem useless to you might be worth a lot to others in need!

The flip side was that I found a wallet in one of the beds while breaking it down and called a number in it to track down the owner. Turned out that it belonged to a kid in a family who had rented the place a few years before and I was given a new address for him. Mailed it out with the $40 or whatever that I found in it still in place...never got a thank you or any acknowledgement, nothing. Even the person on the phone failed to thank me in any way and seemed to be irritated by the call...would have been easy to pocket the cash and toss the wallet, but I'm still glad I did the right thing, even if it was for the wrong kind of person.

Theres always that one guy..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back