bought a new handgun...M&P Shield 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
It's actually for my wife, she seems thrilled. I did buy her a novelty box of ammo...Hornady 9x19 100 grain?!? hollowpoints with pink tips, Critical Defense LITE for reduced recoil. Even the box is pink.

I will be curious if these really light weight bullets feed well, and whether recoil is reduced vs. more normal bullet weights.

Recoil shy - is she? If so, then why not a .380 instead?

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I see this mistake often: person selects a gun, often for a female, because it’s little, and fits the “little lady’s hand”...but that snubnose .357, or worse, is a real nasty gun to shoot, with harsh recoil, and the “little lady” hates it, and never shoots it.

She is worse than unarmed, she is armed with a weapon she can’t use effectively, giving her no chance of success.

You just described my brother-in-law buying my sister a Ruger LCP because it's little and cheap. He doesn't own any other pistols. I told her he couldn't have bought her a worse handgun but she doesn't want to make him feel bad. I said who cares?? Took her out shooting and she was surprised my big G19 was easier to shoot than her LCP. Duh. We worked on basics and she can get hits but she won't keep it up. She wanted a home defense gun of her own..

And trying to close on an active shooter and going for a head shot is incredibly poor advice.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
She wanted a home defense gun of her own.

Medium sized .38 Spl revolver (to dampen recoil) with some nasty defensive loads would be better for someone that's not an experienced shooter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Medium sized .38 Spl revolver (to dampen recoil) with some nasty defensive loads would be better for someone that's not an experienced shooter.

Can't say no to that choice, but I will say that the M&P shield feels real nice fitting in the hand. Its just very natural and ergonomic, at least the ones Ive handled with extended mag. Too bad the trigger has such a funny design and feel.

My M&P Shield is suprisingly accurate for a small pistol. Even more so in fast target aquisition with my Veridian green laser. I haven't found any 9mm ammo it won't shoot with the exception of some handloads a buddy of mine gave me. I gave him back the rest.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Is it the model II with the vastly improved trigger?

Nope, plain old "Series I"

My bride is not a connoisseur of trigger pull, she wouldn't know the difference. In her case it's more about the way the weapon feels in her hand.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

S&W Model 10 M&P .38 Special with 4" barrel loaded with CorBon 125 gr +P or the old 157 gr FBI load. Nothing to brag about but lots of value for $$.

Bella Twin, the .22 Used to Take the 1953 World Record Grizzly. That was 22 long, not 22 Long Rifle, shot in the side of the head.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

.380 small pistols can be a pain to shoot, especially for women. Women new to shooting don't like recoil. My p-90 .45 is more pleasant to shoot than my lcp .380.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

.380 small pistols can be a pain to shoot, especially for women. Women new to shooting don't like recoil. My p-90 .45 is more pleasant to shoot than my lcp .380.

Purchasing a .380 pistol the same size as the Shield . I have the Kahr CT380 and it larger size grip and barrel soaks up recoil. There are others too in .380.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back