Body Work With Lead

Not sure why I woke up thinking about this. I remember as a kid, my friend's Dad owned a body shop in the 1960's. He was old school and used
lead, no Bondo for that man. Used to see him doing it, but really paid little attention because we were still in the bicycle age.

Just wondered if any of you have seen it done? I found a YouTube video from Eastwood and just watched it. I found it very interesting!

I learned this from an old timer decades ago, he did the lead work on the roof pillars at the GM plant in Framingham, MA and later had his own body shop. I don't do it much anymore, modern cars are way too thin. Gene Winfield is still one of the best body, fabricator and paint man in the world.

Heard of it, never seen it. Lead sleds, not sure how heavy they really were.

Not sure why I woke up thinking about this. I remember as a kid, my friend's Dad owned a body shop in the 1960's. He was old school and used
lead, no Bondo for that man. Used to see him doing it, but really paid little attention because we were still in the bicycle age.

Just wondered if any of you have seen it done? I found a YouTube video from Eastwood and just watched it. I found it very interesting!

Wow - now that’s a craftsman !

Thanks for posting this, I watched the whole half hour. I may be tackling a Model A restoration project and if I do I’ll use lead. This video was very educational and probably saved me from an Epic Fail. I don’t have a high opinion of Eastwood products, thinking that they are overpriced and low quality but this Gene Winfield video gives them some credibility.

Their lead stuff is good but when you add the torch tip and a pack of sticks and some additional paddles the price goes up considerably.

Never tried it myself, but can solder and braze pretty well. So I'm confident I could catch on easy.
But I'm an old man and retired, so never will at this point in life. I just found it interesting.

I learned how to do it in Technical school after high school. Thought it was cool, but not enough that I ever bought the tools or materials to do it again. Probably almost anything after the mid 70’s has metal to thin to handle the tinning and buttering process.

I've done it, it works very well on moving panels like doors and hood

Back