Bobby Hull passed away.

Sometimes a hockey player lives the hardest of lives. From concussions to addiction its widely known that they all usually face something in their time on earth. Watch The Last Gladiators and see the struggles.

When I was a boy growing up in Chicago I used to listen to listen to the Black Hawk games on my transistor radio at night long after lights out. RIP to the 'Golden Jet'.

transistor radio.jpg

I recommend Gare Joyce's well-researched and thoughtfully written book "The Devil And Bobby Hull".

It came out 10 or so years ago. I put off reading it for years, fearing it would be a hatchet job. It's actually pretty balanced.

Hull was beaten as a child by his father, and bad behaviour towards women was likely modelled for him.

I'm not excusing his off-ice behaviour, but it helps to understand why people are the way they are.

The book also delves into just how great a player he was.

It's always bugged me that the NHL never acknowledged WHA stats. This would be like the NFL pretending the AFL had not existed.

Thousands of players over the last 50 years, since Hull signed with the Winnipeg Jets of the WHA, owe their good salaries to Hull giving instant credibility to the upstart rival league, and introducing genuine competition.

Rest in peace, Bobby!

Back