Boat trailer tires/rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per CapriRacers question..

From a previous post:

Blowouts:
Nanco: 8 out of 9
Titan 4 out of 8, 3 more had tread separations
Carlisle: 1 blew, 2 more separated, out of 4.
Deko: Not sure of the count, but bad.

Speed: None of these trailers are pulled at high speed, we maintain legal limts - generally 65 mph or less. The Nancos all blew on their first or second long trip, on all 55 mph roads.
The value of our equipment is too high to race around with!!

Weight: Yes, we have often weighed them... in Iowa the weigh stations leave the scales on even when they are "closed" and the huge digital displays are designed so that truckers, etc can read them through the windows.

Trailer Placards: Yes they have them, it would take a while clean them up to be legible...

Tire GVWR, yes we take this seriously. Unfortunately, this seems to be a poor guide, a few examples

Twinrig, single axle trailer,4000 lbs, 50 psi Titans that had enough rating ( blown and gone, then higher pressure Titans installed under some sort of warranty exact value unknown) Blew (as "pow") one every year, then one blew and the other was badly separated. We were on the road and had no choices, replaced with Kelly Explorer car tires (35 psi tires blown to 45 lbs to keep them sort of round, probably only rated for 1700 lbs each), this trailer never had another problem even though it is in constant use.

Small tandem axle trailer, mostly hauled costumes and sound, never ever heavy. Two Titans blew on one trip, and the others were coming apart, had to buy Cooper car tires on the road. No problems ever since.

Nanco's: Perhaps the worst tire ever made, I blew ( as in exploded) 3 on one 600 mile trip on a tandem trailer on 55 mph roads. We had taken off the "car tires" that came with this trailer - lowly Generals- because they were 15 years old and badly cracked, but had never failed!!!

Carlisle: I am told that this is where all the Goodyear tire equipment went to, when Goodyear got out of bias ply trailer tires, no idea if thats true. They have mostly just separated and got lumps, although at least two have blown.
At least we got a couple years of service before they blew.

Frustration: No, we do not have much anymore. One of our pickup boats ran a set of "car tires" forever, then we put Titan trailer tires on it, they both failed within 2 years, we replaced them with used Michelins and all is well.

Towed Vehicles to shows:

Triple Rig 5,000 lb Tandem
Twin Rig 4,500 now, Single axle, Marathons
2 Single rigs, 3700 lbs, car tires
Equipment Trailer, 6,000 lbs, Marathons
Sound Trailer - Cooper Car tires
Costume trailer used car tires
portable jump: 15 year old Mohawk car tires.
2 Dock trailers: Marathons or Coopers
Pickup boats: Goodyear and Michelin car tires

Side Notes: As the lead driver, I have not missed a show in 15 years. Therefore, many of the blowouts have occured behind my vehicle, since I have usually towed with a minivan (until recently a 120 hp 3.1 litre V6 APV, towing 5,000 lbs), rest assured that speeds have not been high!! This is a remarkably stable tow vehicle, none of the blowouts have been scary, indeed on the tandem axles the bang was the only clue.

Except for the last two Titans failing this summer, we had no tire failures with the Marathons, or the "car tires".
Road Debris: The tow vehicle has never had a tire failure in 250 k miles of towing and driving, so I doubt that the trailers are getting much of that. When analyzed (yes, I went to Goodyears school on this topic when I was a crewmember on a formula racer) all the blowouts have looked like tire failures and not road hazards.

Deko? brand: only had a couple, they failed, not behind me, details a little fuzzy, but we do not want any more!

Does anybody "look over the shoulder" of these lesser known manufacturers that seem to provide so many trailer tires??
Titan took over a unionized plant in Des moines, dumped the experienced employees for cheap labor.....
Hard to tell with all the tension involved in such a move, but many reports of ignoring quality issues have surfaced....
and that has been from the new employees.

NHTSA and DOT both ask if personal injury resulted, and have little interest if you survived the event!!

OK, one more blowout story: A Titan on our twin rig began to cause a vibration that grew rapidly - about 2 miles, start to finish. I pulled immediately into an interstate rest stop and watched the "apple" in the sidewall grow into a grapefruit, then a football.... never made it to basketball..

I had the jack and spare out by then, but you can bet I kept my distance until... BOOM occured.

No, I have never had a tire store employee mention any reason to not use car tires - except on the heaviest trailers where we need 80 psi tires.

Fsskier,

Thanks for the info. Too much to absorb in one sitting, but one question:

The Nanco's are bias, as are the Carlisles and the Deko's - right?

The Marathions and Titans are radials?

on my new little 1,100 lb trailer they use refurbsihed LT tyres - 205/70R15 tyres. maybe 4/32 tread depth, but shaved to make it even over the tyre.

Yes, you are correct:
Nanco: Bias ply, fail very rapidly. They fail by blowing out. Tires Plus was pushing these as great tires, but when so many failed so fast they switched to the "overloaded, under inflated, too high of speed, etc. They warrant the first one or two as defective, but after that the customer is deemed to be at fault!! The "car tires" on this trailer have never failed ever!!

Carlisle: Bias ply, run a couple of years before failing.

Titans: All radials, run at least a year before failures begin. Some blow, some just come apart and wobble all over.

Deko: Bias Ply

Your earlier comments about trailer tires being only good to 65 mph at their load rating.....
Cheapie S rated car tires are rated to 112 mph..T to 118...

Our sample size would seem to be large enough to make this an objective study, not a subjective anecdotal report.

25-30 car tires: 1 delamination
25-30 trailer tires of the above brands: 15 blowouts, 10 delaminations, 5 just removed and recycled in fear!

All on the same trailers....

The Marathons are all radials, only one has delaminated. Every tire above is run at about its load rating.

Iowa interstate speed limits are 70 mph, Nebraska is 75 mph
speeds of 65 mph or less result in large amounts of vehicles "funneling" to get around you....

Sounds like I should run good car radials when I need to replace my trailer tires next time. I will try to shoot the temps on my Marathon tires to figure the proper inflation pressures. Any tips on finding the best inflation pressures on the trailer tires?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Sounds like I should run good car radials when I need to replace my trailer tires next time. I will try to shoot the temps on my Marathon tires to figure the proper inflation pressures. Any tips on finding the best inflation pressures on the trailer tires?

Unlike cars where ride and handling are issues - and inflation pressures are compromises to balance these conflicts - run the Marathons at the max.

Originally Posted By: fsskier
25-30 car tires: 1 delamination
25-30 trailer tires of the above brands: 15 blowouts, 10 delaminations, 5 just removed and recycled in fear!

Wow. I've never owned a trailer, but almost every time I see trailer tires I wonder why anyone would buy a tire that looks so cheap. I guess it's more than just the looks!

Since your boat and trailer is pretty light, it will be a long time before you wear the Marathons out!!

Originally Posted By: fsskier
Since your boat and trailer is pretty light, it will be a long time before you wear the Marathons out!!

I will have weather/ozone damage before the tread wears out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back