BMW Parts from China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every automaker gets parts from China and has been doing so for years. Y'all need to get with the times.

people blame it on the Chinese but think about it ----Americans contract with with the chinese, and then look the other way when
poor quality, or changed design exists in the shipped product.
thinner parts, substitutions, poor fasteners, and on and on. American buyers overlook the poor quality .

maybe the japanese don't as some made in china makita stuff is good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
people blame it on the Chinese but think about it ----Americans contract with with the chinese, and then look the other way when
poor quality, or changed design exists in the shipped product.
thinner parts, substitutions, poor fasteners, and on and on. American buyers overlook the poor quality .

maybe the japanese don't as some made in china makita stuff is good.

I'm sure there are just as many examples of American companies with significant quality oversight in China as there are Japanese ones. Cisco is one example I can think of right off the top of my head, HP is another, Apple yet another. If a product is cheapened by a lack of proper quality oversight at a Chinese facility, that is a fault of that company, not the country in which that company is headquartered.

Is it me, or is STUECK spelled wrong ? Should it not be STUCK, with two dots over the U ?
And also, the part seems to be painted industrial green.Unusual. Just happened to notice
these things.

The supplier (likely Conti) is probably more responsible for the COO than BMW.

NLA can be disappointing, but OTOH, the fact that a part first used 28 years ago, in only the E32/E34 V8s that ended 21 years ago, is still available is not too bad.

What would the demand be for something like that for BMW to order a run for stock? And the sticker implies that it was made just a few months ago.

It can't be said that the Germans don't support their cars better than anyone else.

Originally Posted By: Markl50
Is it me, or is STUECK spelled wrong ? Should it not be STUCK, with two dots over the U ?

So... you speak German but you don't know that the 'e' is sometimes typed in place of the umlaut? And you don't know the word "umlaut"?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: Markl50

So... you speak German but you don't know that the 'e' is sometimes typed in place of the umlaut? And you don't know the word "umlaut"?

LOL!

China can make parts to any quality level needed. If the parts don't measure up then it's the purchasing agent, not China. When it comes to high tech and quality they've got it. The purchasing agent just has to be willing to pay for it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
China can make parts to any quality level needed. If the parts don't measure up then it's the purchasing agent, not China. When it comes to high tech and quality they've got it. The purchasing agent just has to be willing to pay for it.

Do the Chinese people accept poor quality and consider it normal, or do they make good quality items for domestic use?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
It's legit I'm certain, the BMW dealer got it from the regional BMW parts warehouse. I did a little searching and it appears that it's getting more common, but I guess I missed that it was happening and this is the first one I've seen (maybe it is more common with newer cars). The other tags on the bag don't list the COO.

Now please will they make a right sunroof gate? I need one of those too and they aren't available.

Maybe just the label is made in China
laugh.gif

I have no idea who made the hose, unlike the power steering hoses I got the three oil hoses were dealer only items.

What's funny is that the four aftermarket Conti power steering hoses were made in Germany
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
The supplier (likely Conti) is probably more responsible for the COO than BMW.

NLA can be disappointing, but OTOH, the fact that a part first used 28 years ago, in only the E32/E34 V8s that ended 21 years ago, is still available is not too bad.

What would the demand be for something like that for BMW to order a run for stock? And the sticker implies that it was made just a few months ago.

It can't be said that the Germans don't support their cars better than anyone else.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Do the Chinese people accept poor quality and consider it normal, or do they make good quality items for domestic use?

I'll ask the 2 Chinese pilots coming to purchase our aircraft next week. It would be interesting to hear their point of view.

I've been to China many, many times. While we hear of collapsing buildings, poor quality construction and cars made of steel so soft they bend into an accordion in any crash. What I've seen is a wide mix of quality, not much different than here.

I mentioned in my post above that quality is not assured with Chinese products. Certainly, they can make fantastic stuff. The problem is that they also continue to send sub standard parts.

When I pulled up the part number in WorldPac, the picture shows made in Germany, so this must be a recent change.

What is the part number of the right sunroof gate?

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Gents,

This is Capitalism at it's best! I utterly despise made in China items, except for AK47.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

You know, back in the 1970's everyone "dispised" anything made in Japan....and you know how that turned out. Mark my words, China will be a world class manufacturer in less than a decade. In many areas, they already are.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
When I pulled up the part number in WorldPac, the picture shows made in Germany, so this must be a recent change.

It is 54128169824. Used ones aren't really a good option because the steel insert nuts in the plastic gate rust and break the plastic.

Nowadays, you pray that something will say "Made in Japan" when you buy it.

Man, I miss my E30 325i 5 speed. Genuine German parts were cheap and plentiful for it back then, too. No Chinese stuff from the dealer or anybody else 30 years ago.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: The Critic

It is 54128169824. Used ones aren't really a good option because the steel insert nuts in the plastic gate rust and break the plastic.

No luck. Part number is not coming up.

Cujet is right. It's not the quality - it's the quality control.

The worst job on my n54 335 so far might be the radiator. I nearly cried at how packed in it is. Intercooler, piping, weird pipes in the way, the largest possible radiator in the space but almost no way to get it in or out...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back