BMW 6spd Manual - gold chunk in fluid?

10k miles on my 2021 M2, 6speed manual.

Changed the fluid and this came out. Any ideas what it could be? Anything to be worried about?

transchangedebris.jpg

Seems pretty big. Plastic or metal? and the rest of the oil? nothing fine in it?

I'm thinking, nothing major, if it's plastic and the oil doesn't have any sparkles to it.

Seems pretty big. Plastic or metal? and the rest of the oil? nothing fine in it?

I'm thinking, nothing major, if it's plastic and the oil doesn't have any sparkles to it.
There was a minimal amount of copper flakes, nothing out of the norm of what I expect to find in the pan on a normal fluid change.

Fluid was pretty clean overall. Just that chunk that I wasn’t expecting!

You guys think I change the fluid again in another 10k miles and make sure it looks ok?

Last edited:
Cash for gold :sneaky:
Haha exactly what I thought. Maybe I've been watching too much Gold Rush on Discovery.

Pretty chunk, if gold.

Scary chunk of brass from a BMW trans... probably fine, but I'd definitely keep tabs on how the trans behaves as the miles go, and might bring this to my dealer's attention if the car is still under warranty. Could have been injured by someone on a test drive that didn't really know how to drive stick. Just a thought...

Haha exactly what I thought. Maybe I've been watching too much Gold Rush on Discovery.

Pretty chunk, if gold.

Scary chunk of brass from a BMW trans... probably fine, but I'd definitely keep tabs on how the trans behaves as the miles go, and might bring this to my dealer's attention if the car is still under warranty. Could have been injured by someone on a test drive that didn't really know how to drive stick. Just a thought...
It’s still under warranty for another 14 months so I guess if I have any signs I’ll send it back to the dealer and keep the chunk that came out.

I'd worry about having voided what's left of your factory warranty on the transmission.
Haven’t mfgs always been super touchy with warranty and sticks…I’ve not touched my clutch fluid and I’ve bled my brakes at least 3X diy.

Haven’t mfgs always been super touchy with warranty and sticks…I’ve not touched my clutch fluid and I’ve bled my brakes at least 3X diy.
Ya. They'll instruct the dealership to confirm whether the unit has been opened up such as whether or not factory gasket is still there. In some cases the factory gasket is a different color. This may also impact the ability of the OP to obtain a "goodwill" replacement if the unit fails just out of the factory warranty period.

Ya. They'll instruct the dealership to confirm whether the unit has been opened up such as whether or not factory gasket is still there. In some cases the factory gasket is a different color. This may also impact the ability of the OP to obtain a "goodwill" replacement if the unit fails just out of the factory warranty period.
Well I still have the factory plugs and it doesn’t even have a gasket on either the fill or drain plugs, so there would be no evidence it’s ever been changed if it fails. I’d rather change it than assume it’s going to fail within the warranty period.

Back